“My Violent Child” On Channel 5

mikeburns

Did anyone watch “My Violent Child” on Channel 5 last night?

Am I just being old fashioned or is letting a 6 year old play Grand Theft Auto just plain wrong?

bumpymark

I agree with the op,I was in a supermarket with my 7yr old granddaughter looking at blue rays etc and she picked up a copy of assassins creed and said she plays it!! I was gobsmacked so I spoke to her mum ( my daughter )! And she said her dad let's her play it! I wasn't impressed so she's going to have words. The ratings are there for a good reason!

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
I watched that and related a little to it as my daughter has Autism (ASD) . She can loose her temper fairly easily.
However nothing like those kids last night, thankfully.
She certainly does not play GTA, weirdly she prefers Fifa :)

Philly112

Distinguished Member
People don't think that certification matters on games for some reason. They wont let their kids watch 18 certificate films, but are happy for them to chop heads off on video games.

Phil

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I watched the programme, of course letting a 6YO play GTA is wrong.
But, at the same time, it gave the poor woman some peace.
Unfortunately, you could argue his choice of game that earns her a bit of peace is exacerbating the problem.
But trying to get him to switch to more childish games would probably make him kick off....
Real Catch22 problem.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I didn't watch the programme but I saw it advertised and I don't understand how a parent could allow a six year old to behave in that way. If it's ateenager Ok that's different but a 6 year old it's a failing of the parent.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Too Black and White a view.
Shades of grey abound in matters like these.
I disagree. 'shades of grey' is just an excuse. The child is out of control because the parent has failed to control the child. One clip I saw was of a boy kicking in a patio door. How can a parent allow a child to think that kind of behaviour is tolerable? it's a lack of control and laying down of boundaries.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
I disagree. 'shades of grey' is just an excuse. The child is out of control because the parent has failed to control the child. One clip I saw was of a boy kicking in a patio door. How can a parent allow a child to think that kind of behaviour is tolerable? it's a lack of control and laying down of boundaries.
These Kids do have other problems aswell.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Lots and I fear I do not want to get into a debate over this as I have a child with ASD and know first hand the challenges this can bring.
Yes there is a failing of the parents in some cases, so I do see your point.
I respectfully bow out of this one as it's too close to home. :beer:

IronGiant

Please be aware that not everyone will simply "blanket" blame the parents like that... I suspect that is a reaction mostly from people without children.

Phil57

I watched the programme, of course letting a 6YO play GTA is wrong.
But, at the same time, it gave the poor woman some peace.
Unfortunately, you could argue his choice of game that earns her a bit of peace is exacerbating the problem.
But trying to get him to switch to more childish games would probably make him kick off....
Real Catch22 problem.
But who introduced the six year old to the game in the first place?

mikeburns

As a father I'm not sure I could sit there laughing while my seven year old viciously attacks his mother while shouting "I'm going to f***ing kill you, you c***"!. If he'll do that in the home now what is he going to grow up to become?

IronGiant

These are not normal people mike...

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I’ve watched the programme on catch up and I stand by what I said earlier. You’ve got three mums with low self-esteem and no support, bringing up the product of a broken home. I know plenty of single mums manage to raise well adjusted little citizens but the women featured in that programme clearly aren’t up to the job.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
This is going to be one of those threads where predominantly people with zero experience of the issue, in this case experience of a child with issues and all that encompasses pass simplistic judgement calls.

I know a fantastic parent , dealing with a child with issues . There simply is no reasoning, no calming down, she survives by dealing with him in her way because that's what gets her through the day.

From an outside view, letting bad behaviour pass, seems like bad parenting, but it's just not that simple.what works with normal kids doesn't work on kids who are simply wired differently with conditions.

I'm absurdly lucky to have two well behaved, easy kids, being a great parent is significantly easier under those conditions.

Try years of anger management, doctors, shrinks, medications, tests, etc, then pass judgement.

Note, I have not seen the program, I'm generalising about kids with issues.

Bobeee

Novice Member
What if it's a really really mature 6 year old?
It still does not matter as it is still too strong for any six year old however parents are fighting a losing battle because every where you look you are surrounded by images of violence be it on tv, advertising, some music videos and physical/mental bullying at schools !!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett