£999 plasma rubbish? n couple other basic q's thanx

robo989

Ex Member
Reaction score
Right this might appear a little wierd, here's a little pretext to my problem.

18 months ago I was in a serious car crash got got very messed up, massive head injuries, brain damage etc, am a little slow now although I can hide it well etc etc etc...

Anyway the good thing is that I'm going to be getting a nice amount of money in compensation - was the passenger and got chucked through the windscreen...ouch...but then I can't even remember the actual crash itself so anyway...

I'm lookin at getting at gettin a HUGE amount of money, I'm gettin a fraction of this in a couple of weeks time (10K) and decided to buy a plasma tv.

I know absolutely nothing about them, although I do have a Yamaha RX-V540 amp n some mordaunt short 3xx for 6.1 fairly entry level stuff cost me £700 with all interconnects etc etc...

I've seen plasma TV's doing the rounds for £999 (I'm afer a 42 inch one)

Yet everyone on the forum is crazy about panasonic ones, they seem to cost twice the price. what exactly am I getting for paying twice the price of a cheapy one from richer sounds, I've seen an LG one there for a grand on their website.

I intend to connect my Playstation2 to it for some crazy gaming and watching my dvd collection primarily and maybe connect my pc via the DVI if possible.

Is it worth buying a decent £200+ dvd player for the plasma tv?

Can I connect my Sky (standard digital not +) to it with no hasstle?

Can I play ps2 games on it with no problems, I hear lightgun games may have problems with plasma displays or is that just projector screens?)

Screen burn, is that an issue with just ps2 games? Would it be silly to connect a PC to it for the same reasons? I see many people have but haven't read much on the forum about problems they had with screen burn or anything.

I'm not fussed about having the HDTV ready or anything?

Will prolly wanna connect the ps2 using componenent, same for dvd player, my sky box dont have that? Will I need extra stuff to connect that since it seems plasmas dont have scart sockets? Is there a quality issue if I don't use component (the red\blue output thingy's)

Anyway, soz for my stupidity in this, I'm not stupid really just have had no contact with one and dont know anyone with one so just some answers to these q's wud be really appreciated :) and maybe a bit of advice for someone like me on general stuff...e.g Why choose a panasonice expensive plasma and us the pic quality that bad on these £999 models.

I have also seen a panasonic in richersounds for £1200 wud that be worth going for (its on the site)

thanx for input\criticism, sorry if I'm asking anything that I cud search for, I just can't see much info for the basic questions (I've got tunnel vision and find it hard to focus ;) (seriously)

anyway.... :)

Have a read of the plasma FAQ and see what you think, if you can get out and demo some screens that would be a good idea. Spending a bit more know is a good idea as cheap plasmas are just that (see the TINY threads for reasons not to buy a cheap plasma). Spending £200+ on a DVD player is worthit on a plasma yes...PS2 and PC will fine be especially with the panny if you are sensible (dont leave paused games on screen for hours etc) With the panny you can have a Scart for sky, but i would reconmend DVi for PC Component for DVD/PS2 and JS RGB>VGA for Sky (you can choose 3 optional input boards for the panny as well as the VGA connector they all come with)...good luck on the search and OUCH :eek:

hehe ;)

no probs, I believe you gave me some good input when I was deciding to get some home cinema stuff this time last year, cheers mate :)

£1250 seems to be the new price point for PW7 plasmas, why pay £999 for a pile of poo when the difference is so small. They are only £2k or so in shop@panasonic. Most dealers (sensible ones) will do a deal with the boards and leads/converters you want all bundled and offer setup advice, even after the sale. Well we might not include Richer in the advice bit, but they are usually an honest bunch who don't overcharge. They just won't have boards, the right leads or converters.

Search for my recent posts...

I bought the £999 LG from RS and was gutted, got lucky and had it switched for the Panasonic series 6 and became ecstastic :)

Wether I had a duff LG I don't know, but I had the component board replaced and it made no difference....YMMV.

Thanx for the input people :)

hmmm, its very reassuring that everyone's into the panasonic PW6\7's. Especially the PW7...yeah?

Why is the PW7 better than the PW6? After reading the reviews for both and looking at some posts it doesn't seem to be much better...

It can handle HD-TV streams but since it scales them down to its native res, its not really worth anything...right?

There appears to be no DVI input board available, so using my supped up Geforce 6800 GT with it for some crazy gaming isn't really going to be as gud as it could? (Am I wrong please tell me I am)

Also the reviews (yes I realise they are only reviews) don't really paint the picture that I'm after, or is that just how it is with a plasma screen? Do you have to make sacrifices??? :confused:

At the end of the day, I can spend upto £2.5k on the screen and extra on whatever boards I need.

I really want the best pic possible for Console -> DVD -> Sky in that order. I don't mind shelling out whatever I need to on the addin boards. I just need to know what addin boards I'll need (exactly what ones and what cables etc etc) Apologies for my rudeness I'm not being cheeky here. :hiya:

What alternatives are there to the PW7\6? Would you recommed the PW7 over the PW6.

Could you recommend a DVD Player to replace my Yamada £50 jobbie :eek: that will suit the PW7.

I'm just abit concerned that although the reviews were "good" they were hardly glowing, and a little concerned on the resolution, is that a big deal, oh and the fact there's no DVI input board around.

Finally could you recommend a couple of places where I can find the PW7 for £1250 or around that cos I can't find one myself.

Thank you for helping me out with this :) :thumbsup:

my Yamada £50 jobbie looks fantastic on my Panny PW6
my Skyworth £30 dvd/divx player also looks great on it.
Don't be in a hurry to upgrade your dvd player, get the plasma installed first.

I have the pw7 and have my laptop going into the vga slot.
I play call of duty online and the PQ is great.

hey yeah that looks very juicy, I thought I'd be able to have some big screen gaming when I got my 32inch tv but svideo out is just too crappy on the tv-out. (ya walls could do with a lick of paint mind ;)) :)

So for a person whose new to plasma screens would you say I couldn't go wrong with a PW7 then? Or are there better purchases for someone who doesn't have a clue n might have some problems with it or somthin?

thank u for ya help again.

If you can run to 2.5k, you are into PHD7 and Pioneer MXE territory, they will be shattering with PC gaming, and TV/DVD too. Some of the best screens on the market.

check out 123electricals for a good deel. I got a pana 42" plasma and free scart terminal, and free pedestall for 1295 delivered next day. Am I chuffed or what!! (unfortunately I didnt need the stand, but hey!!) :smashin:

They also advised me on the best leads to get even though I told them I wasnt goin to buy leads from them.

superb service. :thumbsup:

geewhizz said:
I have the pw7 and have my laptop going into the vga slot.
I play call of duty online and the PQ is great.

Thats FoY :D Dont you find the screen a bit big mate?

hmmm I guess this topic has drifted a little, I'm definately going to get a PW7 or better.

I'm not sure about spending 2.5k on the screen, purely because I'm not sure I'll see any real benefits from it n I've read a topic posted on here that the pioneer screens have some dodgy filter that makes banding more apparent from mpeg2 sourcrs, hmm maybe not but well I just don't like pioneer really - not sure about plasmas but they sell some well overpriced kit thats inferior to the competion in many cases running on their "premium" brand that can hardly be considered as such these days. I may well be spouting bo*ox here here just feeling I got.

The thing with spending 2.5k is that wen u look at it that way, I'd only need to add another (!!!) 1k and cud prolly get a 50inch screen (prolly too big tho) Soz just realised I'm rambling :boring:

Yeah well anyway I just been looking up that 123electricals (thanx for info btw :)) and that seems well cheap compared to other online stores.

Its prolly best to go for something that aint too outlandish 4 a 1st screen...or am I just saying that...man sound like a pensioner I'm only 20...

well any other bits of info anyone would like to throw at me wud b greatly apprecaited\recommendations etc etc etc ;)

thanking u all :)

robo989 said:
hmmm I guess this topic has drifted a little, I'm definately going to get a PW7 or better.

I'm not sure about spending 2.5k on the screen, purely because I'm not sure I'll see any real benefits from it n I've read a topic posted on here that the pioneer screens have some dodgy filter that makes banding more apparent from mpeg2 sourcrs, hmm maybe not but well I just don't like pioneer really - not sure about plasmas but they sell some well overpriced kit thats inferior to the competion in many cases running on their "premium" brand that can hardly be considered as such these days. I may well be spouting bo*ox here here just feeling I got.

The thing with spending 2.5k is that wen u look at it that way, I'd only need to add another (!!!) 1k and cud prolly get a 50inch screen (prolly too big tho) Soz just realised I'm rambling :boring:

Yeah well anyway I just been looking up that 123electricals (thanx for info btw :)) and that seems well cheap compared to other online stores.

Its prolly best to go for something that aint too outlandish 4 a 1st screen...or am I just saying that...man sound like a pensioner I'm only 20...

well any other bits of info anyone would like to throw at me wud b greatly apprecaited\recommendations etc etc etc ;)

thanking u all :)

hehe wot u been drinkin?

Just go get one from 123electricals. mines arrives monday :smashin:

There's nothing wrong with your reasoning, I must get myself a blow to the head and see if it does me any good. That 123 deal is brilliant, no idea how they do it. Luckily I don't give a damn, don't sell may boxes, almost always whole installed systems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom