Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

£999 Logik LCD at Currys

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by .Griff., May 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Does anyone have any info at all (good or bad) on the 27" Logik LCD's that Currys have on offer for £999?

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the ad on TV last night.

I can't find anything on the internet about them.

I am going to go to Currys at lunch time and have a look at one.

3. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've had a look in Currys but as usual no-one could tell me any realistic information. I could see for myself that it only has 1 Scart socket, 15 Pin PC input and various Phono inputs (couldn't get close enough to see if they were component or not)

4. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the one? Click HERE

5. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thats the one. Thanks alot, doesn't tell me eveything I wanted to know but it's a very good start.

6. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I succumbed.

I went to "have a look at one" at lunch time, needless to say I now have one in the boot of the car.

First impressions from on the shop:--

Build quality ok - about what you would expect for a TV of this price.

Picture not bad, not as good as the Thomson next to it but this is £500 cheaper.

Obviously picture quality cant be assessed properly until I get home and set it up correctly.

So far.....seems fine for the money.

Be aware, this is not a £1500 TV for £1000, the 1500 was obviously an inflated price to make the £1000 seem like a steel.

I would say that full price for a TV like this should be around £11-1200 when you compare it with what else is around.

I will report back over the weekend when I have given it a proper test drive.

By the way, on the website you can get a Grundig £99 DVD cinema system for £49 if you buy it at the same time as this TV. They don't have the crap Grundigs in store but they will match the web deal, so I now have a neat little Matsui DVD cinema system for £49 to stick in the bedroom with the TV, can't go wrong for that price.

7. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    i have bought one and for the money, its great. it has 2 sets of component inputs, 1 rgb scart, 2 sets of composite inputs and a s-video input as well as a pc connector. picture from a cheap dvd player hooked up with s-video are sharp and sky is ok depending on the channels you watch

8. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks for the additional info. I'm not expecting anything amazing for the price but for £999 it seemed a good buy. I may go down tomorrow and try and get the dvd for £49 too.

9. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  10. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Takes it down to £944 including delivery.

11. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am well impressed for the money.

It's great as a PC monitor.

I am going to set up my £49 DVD cinema sound system and see how that compares with my main cinema sound system - mmmmm....

12. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this just gets better.

After laughing at the £49 Matsui cinema system, I am absolutley gobsmacked at it's sound qaulity.

It even has component out. When connnected to the Logik via this the picture is excellant, although not as good as the Thompson.

So far I am very happy indeed.

13. swizzlestick

swizzlestick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was so close to buying one tonight except the display model showed a nasty digital smear (technical term?) on moving objects. I'm hoping this was due to being it fed an RF signal. Have you noticed this on yours with component etc?

Also, why do some LCD screens ,this one included look like they're displaying a 50hz picture. And some like the philips show a steadier picture more like 100hz?

thanks

14. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is possibly due to the RF.

I dont really know too much about LCD screens.

I am pleased with the picture, especially throught the component.

I think it is good value for money but if I had had the spare cash I would plump for the more expensive models.

15. swizzlestick

swizzlestick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So yours doesn't suffer this problem?

Can this model display NTSC/PAL progressive or even 720p/1080i ?

16. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it did'nt seem to 'smear'.

Cant help on the NTSC / PAL question - I don't know. I will check the manual when I get home and see what it says.

17. nas1001

nas1001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought this TV (£999) and can confirm that it accepts both 720P and 1080i inputs over the Y Pb Pr interfaces. I have it connected to an AVT3800 video upscaler and the TV works with a Sky input to the upscaler outputting at these resolutions

18. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Got one this week, and I'm delighted with it. Excellent picture quality, no blurring or smearing, and this much vaunted 'LCDs are useless at deep blacks' doesn't seem to apply. Possible gripes:
    (i) I think it's pretty sensitive to input. If you've got an indifferent input signal, it will let you know.
    (ii) I personally don't think the sound is much to write home about. Don't get me wrong, it's respectable, but not particularly deep. Having said that, I reckon Logik are pitching this at folks who have a home cinema system as well, and so worries about sound quality are pretty academic.
    (iii) My set takes what seems like an eternity to change terrestrial channels (again, no big loss as I mainly watch digital).

To answer an earlier question, it works for NTSC and PAL DVDs.

I really would recommend using the Y Pb Pr interface if your system can hack it, and if you have a DVD that does progressive scan, then use it. I normally take these claims with a pinch of salt, but prog scan relaly does improve picture quality.

Teaching granny to suck eggs time, but take time to set the thing up properly, and make sure you use reasonable interconnects.

19. garrettd

garrettd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I too was impressed with the Logik but could not find any data on screen resolution etc. I noted the 2 YUV and the Single Scart etc. together with VGA but no DVI. I would be interested to find out what TFT panel they are using as we may be able to provide an SDI interface card (remember the old modified DVD players I started some years ago :).

Perhaps I will pop down to Curries tomorrow with a screw driver and ask if they will let me take the back off or if anyone knows, mail me.

Regards

David Garrett

20. garrettd

garrettd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

A bit of further investigation about the Logik brand did not find me the actual manufacturer. However, I have managed to find the manufacturer of the TFT panel used, in fact they are the only manufacturer of 27 " TFT LCD panels so the panel in the logik is actually the same as in the Thompson that is £500 more. The panel is manufactured by CMO (Chi Mei Opto) based in Taiwan. The native resolution is 1280 x 720 so ideal for entry level HD. More interesting is they also manufacture 20" , 30" and 37" with 23" and even 47" in prototype with full mass production later this year. The UK government have also done away with import duty on TFT / LCD raw panels but are placing 14% on manufactured TV's which should increase the production of LCD TV's in the UK. Prices of raw panels are falling with the 27" currently running around £300 in quantity.

CMO tell me that various OEM manufacturers are going to produce larger sets later this year so watch out for falling prices. I will also be producing and SDI and HDSDI m,odule for the CMO) screens very shortly.

Regards

Dr. David Garrett
    FunctionDVD / Vistri Limited
    http://www.Vistri.com
    david@vistri.com

21. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, what do these modules do then?

22. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Interesting info, David. I haven't been able to find out anything about Logik at all. However, one of the reps at Currys said that they were Scandanavian (take that with as many grains of NaCl as you wish).

23. garrettd

garrettd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info Andrew...perhaps that explains why they can't spell. I have now got all the details on the CMO range of panels including all the technical info. These guys really have got their act together on manufacturing and are going to give the Koreans a run for the money (Good). I am considering designing an interface to drive the panels and have given some consideration to may be bring out a range specifically for the AV Forum group. Any one interested should send me an e-mail on how this could proceed.

Regards

Dr. David Garrett
    functionDVD / Vistri

24. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can I wall mount this? If so, what panl does it need?

25. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Pogs,

I made my own wall mount for this TV.

I took the desktop stand apart that came with it.

Inside the mount there is a large metal 'L' shaped bracket.

The long leg of the 'L' screws to the back of the TV and the short leg provides the foot inside the stand.

Remove this 'L' from the plastic casing of the stand.

Turn the 'L' upside down and screw is back on to the TV ( without all the plastic casing ).

You now have a large hook, ( the foot of the 'L', which is now at the top of the TV, has an oval hole in it ).

Screw a wooden bearer onto the wall, I think I used something like a piece of 3"x2".

Cut the wood so it is a bit shorter than the widthe of the TV and chamfer the ends so that you are not looking onto a flat end.

Screw a few thick screws into the top-middle-front of the bearer at an angle so that when it is on the wall the slot in the 'L' hooks over the screws.

Screw the wooden bearer onto the wall with plenty of screws.

Hook the TV on it - bingo....

You can adjust the angle of the TV by using a thicker or thinner bearer or packing the bottom of the TV out from the wall.

You will find that the bearer takes the weight of the TV along the length of the metal 'L' bracket. The screws through the slot are only required to stop the TV sliding off the 'ledge' that the bearer creates.

Please note, mine is on a solid wall so the bearer worked fine. If you are screwing to an internal wall you would be best to srew the bearer onto a large piece of MDF, ( screw through the back of the MDF into the bearer in countersunk holes ). They screw the MDF panel to the wall using plenty of screws and cavity fixings. Try to find a batton with a pipe/cable/batton finder and get a couple of screws into that also.

It sounds long winded, but I had mine on the wall in about half an hour.

Best of luck...

26. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I also have one of these. Agree with what others have said. Only drawback is no DVI, but two component inputs is great. The remote is grim, but that is really the only downer. Sound is a bit thin from the inbuilt speakers, but acceptable.

PQ is very very good. Sky+ via scart is excellent. Well worth £999.

Currys sell a wallmount for it for £69.

27. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    My guess is that Logik is nothing but a branding name used by Currys/Dixons group.
    As to who actually OEM'd that LCD TV I Haven't got a clue but I am pretty sure the name Logik has been used on a number of TVs, VCRs etc. over the years and that they will have been from many different sources.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

28. danielthesaint

danielthesaint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this 27in viewing...i know that they say 27in but somtimes it can be 25in or maybe smaller.

29. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    The only time the "inches" aren't all there is on CRTs, when it's the measure of the external dimension of the tube. The thickness of the glass makes the viewable area smaller. On all flat panels, all the "inches" are usable.

30. danielthesaint

danielthesaint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i do like the lcd from currys...at the moment i have a panasonic TX-28PB50 but its a big bugger and i would like to save some space....thanks