£99 recomendations please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cliff, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,451
    I shall probably get thrown off this forum for asking, but I need a £99 DVD/vcd/CDR/W/MP3 machine. Something that looks OK, pref silver and is not too big or heavy. Should also have good track selection buttons for CDs.
    Cliff

2. pete o'flanagan

pete o'flanagan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, try www.second-spin.com amd look at cyberhome adl 528 its £109.99 and the closest you'll get for everything you need!!
    good luck Q.

3. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought the Limit 8080se from Richer Sounds for £90 using the ad in What Hi Fi.The machine has a 5 channel output for DD and is multiregion from the box. It will also play vcd,cd,cdr and mp3.The build quality and appearance are very acceptable for the price. Visual performance appears to be good (I'm only viewing through a small TV).Sound seems pretty good when routed through the Hi Fi.CD performance is really what you would expect at this price.The downsides are the display and the cheap feeling remote. Overall I think it's a bargain buy. I have also taken out Richer Sounds 3 yr warranty for £9.95
    Hope this helps

4. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,451
    Yes, that does help. When you say the display is poor is it just small - or that it doesn't tell you nuch?
    When playing CDs are there skip buttons on the front panel and remote. Optical or Coax BTY?
    My Toshiba has the worlds worst remote for skip forward and back for CDs!
    Cliff

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Acoustic Solutions 521 is a good £99 machine. It's silver; has quite striking looks; is built quite well for the price; claims to handle DVD/SVCD/DVCD/VCD/CD/CDR/CDRW/MP3; has one of the best albeit fairly compact displays on machines in this price bracket; and performs well, delivering good pictures and sound. No 5.1 decoder outputs though, and is a little noisier than most because of air vent holes in lid.

6. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff

the display on the limit is a 2 digit red display ( a bit like a clock radio !).It displays chapter and two dots toggle to show that it's spinning a disc.The machine is physically smaller than the Cyberhome and Acoustic Solutions player and very quiet compared to them.I can't really fault it for the price,build quality seems quite good. it plays all my discs without any problems.I've yet to try an RCE disc.

7. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,451
    Thanks everyone for you help. The display on the Limit looks a little bit too cheap, so I might look at the others. The Acoustic Solutions is probably better looking than the Cyberhome and for my particular application the noise won't be that much of a problem.

Cheers

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also take a look at the Alba DVD-113, a very good looking silver player, with grown-up display (even dimmable!); multi-region; very quiet in use; a large and solidly built machine, that handles fewer formats than the Acoustic solutions (DVD/VCD/CD). Checkout What TV & Video review - 4-star picture, but sound not too hot.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more small reservation - albeit a bit late - about the Acoustic Solutions 521, but also applicable to many other, even far more costly, players, is it's short-throw tray. The tray doesn't extend beyond the facia such that it fully exposes the disc recess. Because of this you have to almost slide the disc's far edge in under the facia tray-slot's top lip. Not a problem, but an irritation :(