• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£983.98 to spend on new TV, but which on ??

Red_Stafford

Hi all I have got some vouchers coming to me over the next week of the value of £983.98 with this we are planning on getting a new TV was thinking 42" but we are slightly confused on which TV to get should we get Plasma or LCD ?

Ok I am getting more and more confused, I was looking at the Panasonic TH42PZ70B but then someone recommended the Samsung LE40F86BD which also looks very impressive, so which one of these two TV`s would you guys say is better ?

The TV will be used for watching Virgin Digital TV, DVD`s and playing on my Xbox360, any advise welcome, many thanks.

Oh forgot to mention these vouchers can only be used at Dixon's store groups i.e. Curries, Curries Digital & PC World.

My shortlist
Panasonic TH42PZ70B
Samsung LE40F86BD
Sharp LC42XL2E
Toshiba 42Z3030
Anymore worth looking at ?

chrispeters

Off your list......the panny mate..
LCD look a bit crappy after 37"..........
And dont rule out the PX70 range (with a lovely cab..cause they cheap now~)
My opinion of course P

kjt2004

Red

Dont get bogged down in the jargon

Ok you want the best you can afford thats obvious

In a nut shell

If its Mainly SD(standard definition) you will be watching the Plasma edges it

If its Natural tones better blacks an better contrast plasma edges it

If its Games via xbox then LCD may edge it dependent on which one

If its in a brightly lit room then LCD edges it

See there are so many things to consider, It depends if you like natural (plasma) or Sharp (lcd) pictures both have pros and cons

Whatever you do dont get hung on the specs of each(very misleading) set go have a look at them and get a test done with say a regular dvd player

And how far away will you be sitting 42" is ideal at 3 meters in my opinion

Regards

Red_Stafford

Red

Dont get bogged down in the jargon

Ok you want the best you can afford thats obvious

In a nut shell

If its Mainly SD(standard definition) you will be watching the Plasma edges it

If its Natural tones better blacks an better contrast plasma edges it

If its Games via xbox then LCD may edge it dependent on which one

If its in a brightly lit room then LCD edges it

See there are so many things to consider, It depends if you like natural (plasma) or Sharp (lcd) pictures both have pros and cons

Whatever you do dont get hung on the specs of each(very misleading) set go have a look at them and get a test done with say a regular dvd player

And how far away will you be sitting 42" is ideal at 3 meters in my opinion

Regards

Cheers for that, I would say viewing distance would be about 3 - 5 metres

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Looks nice, as anyone got any reviews or anything on this.

I went to curry`s earlier and they have not got any Panasonic TH42PZ70B in stock for weeks ?

Buy it somewhere else then ;)

JVC not leading lights in the LCD world, not sure what to think of that model. Haven't seen any reviews.

aidey6

I don't really know, but doesn't the Xbox 360 play certain games in 1080p also in the future if I was to upgrade to HD DVD ?

Just trying to be a bit future proof.

Be aware that neither the PX70 or PZ70 accept a 1080p signal via component (if you have an "older"XBox 360 without a hdmi socket that is)

Red_Stafford

Buy it somewhere else then ;)

That would be nice, but my vouchers are only valid for Dixon group stores i.e Curry`s & PC World, do you think I would choose to shop here if I had the choice, I dont think so.

Be aware that neither the PX70 or PZ70 accept a 1080p signal via component (if you have an "older"XBox 360 without a hdmi socket that is)

Yeah my Xbox 360 is the latest Elite version with the HDMI cable.

bobcar

Distinguished Member

Red_Stafford

Yes and it may be better for him than the 42PZ, it all depends on his viewing distance.

I think 50" will be too big and I wont be able to afford one with the amount I have in the stores I have to spend it in, dont forget I only have vouchers that can be spent in Dixon group stores, i.e curry`s & PC World the 42PZ is £1,099 at curry`s but they dont have any stock for 3 - 4 weeks ?

bobcar

Distinguished Member
I think 50" will be too big and I wont be able to afford one with the amount I have in the stores I have to spend it in, dont forget I only have vouchers that can be spent in Dixon group stores, i.e curry`s & PC World the 42PZ is £1,099 at curry`s but they dont have any stock for 3 - 4 weeks ?
For the difference in price between the PZ and the PX you could by an HD-DVD player and some discs. The difference in quality between HD-DVD and DVD is massive, you may well not get any improvement by spending the extra money on the PZ (it all depends how close you sit).

It's just a thought, obviously it's up to you and your viewing conditions - just don't base your decision on "it must be full HD 1080p" without thinking about it.

mre15

Wait and get the Panny PZ70, Its my 3rd plasma and without a doubt the best yet. Wipes the floor with the samsung offerings.

4 weeks will soon pass.

Red_Stafford

Wait and get the Panny PZ70, Its my 3rd plasma and without a doubt the best yet. Wipes the floor with the samsung offerings.

4 weeks will soon pass.

Yeah cheers mate think I might do.

For the difference in price between the PZ and the PX you could by an HD-DVD player and some discs. The difference in quality between HD-DVD and DVD is massive, you may well not get any improvement by spending the extra money on the PZ (it all depends how close you sit).

It's just a thought, obviously it's up to you and your viewing conditions - just don't base your decision on "it must be full HD 1080p" without thinking about it.

Would I notice the difference between the PZ and PX when using my Xbox 360 connected by HDMI cable playing a game that supports 1080p ?

chrispeters

Yeah cheers mate think I might do.

Would I notice the difference between the PZ and PX when using my Xbox 360 connected by HDMI cable playing a game that supports 1080p ?

Depends on size of panel mate...if u going 50"...go "full" HD..
IF 42".....u will hardly notice at all............

mre15

I cant understand how people say you wont see the difference, maybe some people cant, and thats why they buy the cheaper brands, but I can clearly see the difference between the px70 and the pz70 on a 42" display with a 1080 source.
Its a difference of nearly 1 million pixels Vs over 2 million pixels.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom