• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£800 Gaming/Videoediting Pc suggestions please?

Brightspark1

I have saved up £800 for a gaming/videoediting pc

This is what i was thinking about getting.Is everything compatible?

Your suggestions would be Greatly appreciated.
o9mqo4.jpg

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Not a bad spec.

Personally, I'd say aim for a 1600MHz 1.5V kit of memory as that's what Sandy Bridge prefers. Also, I'd consider adding a third party cooler to obviously keep temps down as well as give you the ability to overclock should you wish to.

You can save yourself the £14 on delivery and get it free due to being a member here: SCAN & AVForums loyalty programme - AVForums.com

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
yeah, looks good, although might be worth contemplating another score for a 480 over a 560 on the GPU.....unless you plan on going SLI to trump that in the future.

Brightspark1

Right here is the updated spec.
14lhvyu.jpg

Is the powersupply sufficient for the 480?
And is it really as loud as people say?

Oh yeh and i have already signed up for the free postage ;)

Dave2

Right here is the updated spec.

Is the powersupply sufficient for the 480?
And is it really as loud as people say?

Oh yeh and i have already signed up for the free postage ;)

Nope not as loud as people say ... I find it quite quiet :)

On the cpu what sort of video editing are you doing ? I would suggest i7 model if its alot of video editing and encoding but this also depends on how fast you want it to encode etc.

If its just basic stuff the i5 is fine but you would benefit from the HT if it was heavy stuff you planned on doing.

PSU should be fine for the gtx 480 but depends on the quality maybe a 700W would be better .

Brightspark1

Nope not as loud as people say ... I find it quite quiet :)

On the cpu what sort of video editing are you doing ? I would suggest i7 model if its alot of video editing and encoding but this also depends on how fast you want it to encode etc.

If its just basic stuff the i5 is fine but you would benefit from the HT if it was heavy stuff you planned on doing.

PSU should be fine for the gtx 480 but depends on the quality maybe a 700W would be better .

I wont be doing Lots of video editing but when i do i would use visual effects ETC.

I know an i7 would be better for me but money,money,money :D
and ill think about a 700W PSU.

btw whats "HT".

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I wont be doing Lots of video editing but when i do i would use visual effects ETC.

I know an i7 would be better for me but money,money,money :D
and ill think about a 700W PSU.

btw whats "HT".
HT = Hyperthreading

Instead of 4 physical cores, 4 threads (such as the 2500k has) the 2600k has 4 physical cores but 8 threads.

Brightspark1

HT = Hyperthreading

Instead of 4 physical cores, 4 threads (such as the 2500k has) the 2600k has 4 physical cores but 8 threads.

Oh yeh Duh :D

Dave2

HT = Hyperthreading

I thought tthe 2500k v 2600k was one with GPU one without GPU and the i5 v i7 was one without HT and one with HT.

I could be wrong as i dont have the sandy bridge just the original i7.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I thought tthe 2500k v 2600k was one with GPU one without GPU and the i5 v i7 was one without HT and one with HT.

I could be wrong as i dont have the sandy bridge just the original i7.
2500k doesn't have HT.
2600k does have HT.

Both use the HD3000 IGPU.
The 2600k also has 2MB more L3 cache and a slightly higher stock clock (by 100MHz).

In short, the differences are:
K-series chips have a better IGPU.
i7 series has HT and more L3 cache

Last edited:

Brightspark1

I know its sort of off topic
but i have £50 for some decent headphones for video editing.
could you recomend me some?

Looked everywhere for recomendations but their is Sooo many :/

Brightspark1

Member 328449

I was going to suggest changing the PSU. The Corsair CX range is their budget range and I have heard mixed reviews. Personally I have always had Corsair HX PSU's and they are amazing.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
The XFX PSUs are meant to be pretty good - e.g. their 450W PSU is a CX430W with better cooling.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom