1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£800 5.1/6.1 speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Demon, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    OK... £800 to spend...

Room is 5M * 4M, Sony Cheapo STRDB1070, Tosh 50WH18B,

I listen mainly to movies, have knackered ears from working in nightclubs/motorbikes etc, but do like to occasionally listen to music, and may listen more if the speakers are upto it.

I find a lack of treble seems to make everything sound dull and give a limited soundstage/spatial effect... (You know what I mean)

I currently have *cough* Sony SAV-E705 Pascals, which although clearly lacking in the music department, are not bad at 5.1, the satellites give good spatiality, and the sub in a 4*5 room when positioned can be felt very much through the chair...

Whats important to me is
    1. Spatial effect... they need to give a very wide soundstage(Is this the right term) and the effects need to sound very localised.
    2. Impact, Terminator 2, the gunshots when arnie is protecting the kid from the other terminator in the hallway in the need to be 'felt', but this doesn;t mean loud, I like the subtlety, just want some impact when necessary
    3 (For the missus) - Black boxes are a no-no.

not sure if it can be done on budget..

I've demo'd some, but need more input

Sub/Sat range
    A. Sony 835ED pascals - brash but excellent impact, I liked the 'oomph' from the sub, but I feel they lack in the music department. and the cost saved could go on £300 sub

B. KEF KHT2005 / SIB CUB's - Demo-d them both and they are a little lacking in the impact department, but sound OK for music to my ears. They also sounded a little closed in and muddled, the 5.1 effects where hard to pinpoint, and didn;lt seem to travel much, listening to a DD5.1 disk I brough in, It didn;t make me instantly buy these on the spot..

Normal range
    1. Mission M74i's (Should blend OK either side of TV) / M7C2 (Silver) / M7DS rears (Silver) - haven't demo'd them, but feel large speakers are 2 large for the room? the missus will be OK on the M74's.. cos she'll have to like it or lump it...
    This leaves plenty again for a Sub...

2. Any other suggestions for the budget??? This is where I am stuck.. B+W are a little more then I can afford.. (603's + LCR600 + 600 rears = £1200) and have demo'd them , and although v loud with impact, seem too much, and you just end up turning them down... if this helps people realise what I am looking for.

I want as many recommended setups as poss for the budget.,..

Its awful buying in the dark.. and I can't trust demo's too much, since we demo'd a load of kit the other day, me, two mates, (One has the B+W setup), and the Sub/Sats sounded awful... no bass, no impact, crap effects... We all agreed the shop must be doing these things a major injustice.

I have a suspicion that my ears are so bad now that I seem to like the brash cheaper stuff for some reason, all this warm/smooth description is perhaps no good for me (Boo Hoo)

I reckon the galloways with a big sub would be ideal... but I did mention the £800 budget didn't I?

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep your eyes peeled on the power-buys. From Monday, I'll be introducing a storming 5.1 system.

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Will do...

and in the mean time...

WHat about Mardaunt Short...

906 fronts/905C centre/902 or 903 rears... seems in the budget...

I think I'm really after some newbie advice as well, since as I am sure you all know what is hot and what is not...

Roll on monday for Erics offerings...

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If you are keen to get a sub, then I reckon you don't need to go for large floorstanders as the sub will take care of the low-end. Get a good set of standmounters eg. Mission M71/72 or Wharfedale Diamond 8.2. If you can afford more see Kef Q1's or B&W 601's. These will all sound loads better than the Pascals and Eggs with music and they will give you more warmth (not to be confused with wooliness) and clarity than sats during films.

You don't say what your source is, but a new CD player will improve matters musically a lot too. :)

5. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nobber22

I'm in the same-ish boat as Demon - SAVE702 - SONY 1080 -Budget for speakers £800

You mentioned the B&W601, I've thought about getting 602 for the fronts, but I'm not sure about the rears 600 or 601?

The room is only 3m by 3m so I'm fairly close to the rears

What do you think about the centre lcr60 or 600?

I've tried demoing them but the shops I've been in don't have this sort of setup if they've got B&W

??

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'd be VERY cautious about using 602's in a small room like yours. They have lots of bass and this is likely to boom in your square room. The 601's also have very good bass, but they are more suited to smaller areas. Th 600 S3's are also very nice for rear surrounds, but as you say, in a small room some bi-pole/di-pole designs might be more suitable eg. Mission M7DS. You could always point the B&W rears away from you, or at the side walls to cut down on too much direct sound.
    Get the 600 centre if you can fit it in. Those who've tried both at home reckon the 600 is the business! :)