£750-£1000 PC Build - Advice please

plusman

Standard Member
I'm thinking of building my own PC to replace my old Evesham Pentium 4 PC. I'll be mainly using the PC for general office/home stuff plus photo and video editing. I won't be using it for any serious gaming, so don't need high-end processing or graphics (except for video editing).

I'm also looking at building something that I can upgrade if needed over the coming years.

I think I've identified the core of what I need but would appreciate your advice and comments on my build, bearing the following in mind:

* CPU: Intel quad-core i7 920, 2.66Ghz (socket 1366) (ca. £200; retail rather than OEM for the extra warranty)

* MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (ca. £200) (thinking of future flexibility, plus the fact that it has eSata and Firewire on the rear, plus loads of internal Sata connectors)

* Graphics : something like a HD4870 (or would a HD 5770 be better ?); ideally want a card with both DVI and VGA out (though could use a converter if it only has DVI) (ca. £150)

* Memory: 4 GB (2 X 2 GB), probably Crucial

* HDD: 2 X 1Tb, as I want loads of storage; I’ll use Hitachi, Seagate, Maxtor or WD – whichever has a good deal at the time (ca. £150)

* Optical Drives: 2 X LG drives, as I’ve had good experience with them in the past. (I don’t need Blu-Ray at the moment) (ca. £50)

* Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse – reuse from existing systems

* Case: either an Antec 300 or possibly a Coolermaster CM690 (ideally looking for something that has an eSata and/or FW built-in on the front, rather than use an add-in box in one of the front drive areas.

* PSU – not sure; I assume that 500W should be enough, but not sure which one.

* Heatsink – not sure which one; possibly a Thermalright Ultra-120

* I’ll probably also add an extra case fan or two.

QUESTIONS/ADVICE NEEDED on:

1. Is there any REAL difference between an Intel i7 and its AMD equivalent? I’m going with Intel as all the PC’s I’ve used so far have been Intel-based? Also going for the i7 as I think socket 1366 offers the best flexibility for the future. Is this right?

2. Graphics – HD4870 or HD5770 or something else?

3. PSU – advice on best one and what output (500W?)

4. Heatsink – advice on which one is best with the i7.

5. Am I missing anything; any other comments on the build?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 293381

A little snippet:

The i7 920 has almost reached the end of it's production line and will shortly be replaced. The replacement is the i7 930 (I think - Intel keep changing CPU names).

You might care to wait a little longer for the new release. :)

Skillfullorange

Standard Member
QUESTIONS/ADVICE NEEDED on:

1. Is there any REAL difference between an Intel i7 and its AMD equivalent? I'm going with Intel as all the PC's I've used so far have been Intel-based? Also going for the i7 as I think socket 1366 offers the best flexibility for the future. Is this right?

1. AMD has no desktop equivalent to the I7 as their best current chip the Phenom II X4 965 is slower than the I5 750

As for future-proofing they will continue to develop on 1156 and 1366 as they are both recent sockets but at the moment only socket 1366 has any chips comming out within the next few months.

2. Graphics – HD4870 or HD5770 or something else?

2. The 5770 would be the better choice as more and more games will be DX11 and is just a newer card,
but the 4870 is better overall.

3. PSU – advice on best one and what output (500W?)

3. I would recommend a Corsair PSU

4. Heat sink – advice on which one is best with the i7.

4. My friend is using that Heat sink you suggested and gets decent overclocks with it

Hope that helps

Last edited:

doctorjuggles

I have almost the exact same setup, built it just a few weeks ago.
I can say that the UD5 mobo is very nice. Easy to overclock as well, with their Easytune tool. The 920 chip is lightning fast too.
For the heatsink, I went with this: Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/LGA775/LGA1366) [TTC-NK85TZ] Cooling CPU Coolers
Works a treat and at stock speeds it keeps the CPU at mid to high 20s celsius.
For the PSU, don't skimp and get a decent brand and you should be fine. Mine's an Antec TruePower Quattro 850W, but you should be able to get something very handy for much less cash. Corsair, as mentioned, are very good.

centrix

Standard Member
For an i7 system a 700W power supply is an absolute minimum.
I PURCHASED A 1000W coolermaster modular power supply.
1000W is probably overkill but I would recommend at least the Coolermaster 850W modular power supply to future proof your system.
The x58 motherboards are triple channel so any RAM installe should be in triple as opposed to pairs. This will give enhanced performance when the unit is operating.
With regards to graphics card I not be to fussy as it is east to upgrade at a later date.
Selecting a good heat sink is essential for the i7 chip and I would recommend the Coolermaster V8. The Coolermaster V8 is an outstanding product but check that it will fir into your case as it is very tall and a lot of people have had a V8 delivered only to find it wil not fit.
The HAF 932 is a very good case but I would recommmend buying the sentry 2 fan controller as there is no fan controller built into case.
Check the case you have chosen as there might be limitations to it the HAF 932 has a lot of configuration options. :thumbsup:

Ten98

For an i7 system a 700W power supply is an absolute minimum.
Rubbish, Add up the wattage of your components on full load and you will get the wattage of PSU that you need.

i7-920 = 85W
1 very powerful graphics card = 200W
1 Hard drive = 20W
DVD drive = 10W
Motherboard / system fans = 60W to be on the very safe side

Plus you should leave around 50-100W overhead as you don't really want to be running at the max wattage of the PSU.

Doing this simple maths shows that a dual graphics card setup can run quite happily on a 650W PSU, and a single card setup has more than enough power on a 450W PSU.
I PURCHASED A 1000W coolermaster modular power supply.
1000W is probably overkill but I would recommend at least the Coolermaster 850W modular power supply to future proof your system.
Yes it is definitely overkill. If by "future proof", you mean "enough spare power to add 3 graphics cards and 10 hard drives", then fine. But I doubt you do. See above as to why 850W is not necessary in a single or dual card setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom