1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£700 limit on speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by locky79, Jan 21, 2005.

1. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hello peeps

well i was about to order the AE EVO 3B but some people have told me not to, so for the sake of clearing my mind what would you guys get with £700?

they need to be 5.1 with 2 floor stand speakers (i love my floorstands :clap: )

come help me decide!

2. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for a 5.1 system with main fllorstanders for £700 I think that the Evo 3b system will blow any similarly priced 5.1 system out of the water.

If you want to spend more then there may be better options, but you have said that £700 is your limit and I can't think of £700 better spent provided that you have room for them and like their styling. what reasons have your friends given for not getting them?

3. jamieb

jamieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would look at the canton cd 2.22 bought from germany, would be just in your price range. they will handle anything you throw at them up front and have good surround effects with the cd 10 at rear. if you can scrape the budget a bit higher i got the cd 4.25 off tsn via ebay for £835 delivered with 4 cd100s 1 cd 50 centre and 1x25 sub. get them before everyone gets on the bandwagon and they put the price up............. :thumbsup:

4. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes i was looking at the canton cd2.2 but the price in the uk are ermmm.. a bit more, i dont mind going over budget by £100.

im getting my amplifier from germany. Its about £80 cheaper so i can speand that on something else :) how much does the stand cost for the rear speakers for the canton cd 2.2?

when i mention the AE EVO 3B they basically said they dont like the brand :/ :rolleyes:

5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    locky79,

I've got the AE 3B package and agree with mike_cummi that you can't do better at the price. I love them ... and will do so until my credit rating can suppot some KEF reference boxes :devil:

6. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lol well i trust that they are great for my gaming and movie needs :)

im a noob on speakers and home cinema in generally so just curious whats the best i can get for my money :)

its like when i shop for a pc i find the best i can with my budget, you know what i mean?

where did you get your EVO 3B? the cheapest place ive seen it for is £650 whether that is including delivery is remain to be seen.

any places you can recommend? oh one more thing, did you get all the cables you needed in the EVO 3B when you bought it? i mean free cables? because i doubt i can afford decent cables after spending all this.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The only downside on the AE Evo 3B's is that they can be a bit bright if paired with the wrong equipment, otherwise they are top notch speakers.

The only other full sized package I can think of in that price range would be the Mordaunt Short Avant package (but with MS914's instead of MS904's as the fronts).

The choice between the above two depends on the sound one prefers, if you like a slightly brighter sound then go for the Evo's, if you like a warmer sound, the Mordaunt Shorts would suit you better.

You might be able to get the Monitor Audio Bronze package too if you haggle to within your price range, they would give the above packages good competition.

What amp will you be using?

8. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    locky,

650 sounds good, I paid 699 from a shop in Cardiff and I haven't seen them any cheaper than that anywhere else.

We can all afford 'decent' speaker cable - have a look at some of the lively threads on the cables forum :)

I use CAT5, and there are other low cost options too.

If you get the speakers for around the 650 mark, I doubt you'll have much scope to haggle over cable, but it's always worth a try.

9. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the amplifier im getting is the Yamaha AX-750SE from germany which was about £305 inc delivery :clap: which makes it about £80 cheaper than buying from the uk:)

i think i might take the plunge and get the evo 3b as they look very nice Mmm..... but ive heard they are a very nice set of speakers, still dont know why people dont like the brand AE, is it like a bush or a grundig brnad in the tv world or something?

:laugh:

10. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can also vouch for Mordaunt-Short speakers. I have the Avant 906 fronts, 905 centre and 902 rears. I think theyre awesome. My brother actually has the AE setup which is also excellent. I think you'd be happy with either. Might be worth popping into your local Richer Sounds to demo the MS speakers.

11. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    AE is a very highly regarded speaker maufacturer - the AE1 speakers are legendary. I too would recommend the EVO3B system - a great combo with the Yammie 750 you're buying.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Agree with the above, the AE brand is well known and well regarded, the AE1's that Markie Boy mentions are one of the most detailed speakers available, currently in their third generation.

Whoever told you that AE are rubbish is talking crap.

13. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    There's a similar sounding brand of cheap and cheerful A/V kit - Acoustic Solutions IIRC. Perhaps people are confusing AE with them ????

14. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok i think my mind is made up now and its gonna be the EVO 3B can someone tell me the dimensions of the base and hiehgt as im gonna have to move my sofa and tv about :)

also im gonna have to need get some speaker stands for the back speakers, do you think the rear speakers should be above your head? same height or below? just curious

15. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi locky
    can u please let me know where are u geeting the yamaha receiver from as the cheapest here seem to be 380£.technikdirekt price looked as 290£ odd and aboutb 40£ p&p(60 euros)

16. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The evo series go very well with Yamaha kit :D

Evo 3 base 220*260 mm
    height 930mm with supplied bases and spikes installed.

You could try www.superfi.co.uk as they have a price beat option that I used whan I got mine from them:devil: Details here:
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/pages.cfm/id/48

IIRC you should have them witht he tweeter at roughly ear height

17. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im getting my yamaha 750 from the same place you just mentioned it total was 439 euro so it works out to be about £305 :) that is also inc delivery :) woot!

the reason im asking is i need to ge ta speaker stand as i dont know what height i should get it :)

Dfour what speaker stand did you get? and how tall was it? ive got £20 worth of points at hifibitz so im tempted to use them up hehe you know what i mean?

i think hispek is £650 inc delivery, i went through the entire purchase procedure and it total up as £650 so im guess its inc delivery which is great :clap: ive just registered with their site but im holding out on a few more days before i take the plunge :) im gonna have to get some chalk marks and put them round my bedroom hehe need to sort out my layout and shifting sofa and tv a few mm round the place

18. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    has anyone bought anything from hispek.com i just want to know if they are reliable or not :/ or any horror stories just dish the dirt :) if want to know i can trust these peeps with my hard earned cash... :zonked:

19. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah I've ordered off them a few times, bought a few TVs and a MD deck from there in the past and they are reliable.. prices used to be quite competitive too