£600 or less - Laptop with decent spec

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dodgydaz, Sep 14, 2007.

1. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dont usually like to write these types of post but I need some advice from you guys....:)

I am after a decentish lappy for £600 or under to replace my noisy but reliable HP Pavillion.

Ideally I would like 2gb of RAM, 15 inch screen and a fast SATA hard drive (poss - 7200rpm).

Thats it really. As its going to have Vista installed I want the best spec possible for my budget that is going to work well with Vista.

2. md1542

md1542

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    For £590 you can customise a dell dimension 6400 up to the following spec:

Dual Core 1.7Ghz (1mb L2 Cache)
    15.4 WXGA widescreen
    2GIG SDRAM
    80 GIG 7200rpm HDD

With Windows Vista Home Premium installed...

They're good laptops. I use one (Dell 6400, but higher spec'd for my work, which is to do with web design, so puts the laptop through it's paces.)

3. md1542

md1542

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Forgot to add, you can play around with the spec's and prices on their website: www.dell.co.uk and delivery is usually pretty quick.

4. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks MD.

I succummed (sp?) to the dark side this afternoon and ventured into PC World.

I was actually quite impressed with the range of laptops they had and even more so with the sales guy who came up to offer his assistance. I told him what I was after and he knew just what I was after. He then pointed out the ones to avoid and said out loud "thats inferior, that ones pants, and thats not even worth looking at"....to 3 laptops, one of which another sales guy was trying to flog to an elderly couple. The look on the other blokes face was priceless :D

Anyway - To Steve at PC World in Nottingham - Top man. You know your stuff, you werent pushy in the slightest and you left me too it when you had shown me my options.:smashin:

Still dont know which one to go for though. Dell laptop looks quite good.

5. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just thought I would mention. I have bought a Toshiba A200 15I from PC World.
    They had it for £549 but Currys price was £499, so I got it for less than £500. It has everything I was after.
    Nice clear bright screen, 2gb RAM, 160 gig HD, duel core processor and Vista Home Premium.
    Has only got a 5400rpm drive but so far I am really impressed. Its the first time I have really had a play with Vista, and to be honest, I am quite impressed.
    Really easy to set everything up - network, email etc.
    Really like the gadgets you can put on the desktop. Nice to see the local weather, top headlines, without having to physically connect to the net. Sorry, I am easily pleased. :clap: