Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

£600 for a smaller CRT with a better picture?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Sessen Ryu, May 8, 2003.

1. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm in a dilemma and need a bit of shoving, one way or the other. Having recieved £1,425 for my faulty 36" flat widescreen from Comet, and am faced with having to choose another TV.

I am seriously considering buying a 32" Loewe Aconda from my local House of Fraser, with stand for £1,550.

I'll have to weight out another £125 plus the £1,425 I've just got back from Comet, but i'm thinking -- I'll have a smaller television than I had before(!). Yes, of course the picture will be better, but is it really £600 better than a 32" flat wide Panasonic at £950?

Yes, the Aconda's got loads of extras, but I probably won't use them - just after a good picture. With all those extras, they've still only included 1x RGB input (I need three), so I'll still be arsing around with scart leads.

I'll be using my prospective tv with a Denon 2800 dvd (progressive), Denon 3802 amp and sky - (oh, & my trusty xbox)

What do you reckon I should go for? :confused:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The Loewe (I think) can be upgrdaed to Prog-scan, so thats on less RGB not sure how much it is though. and doesnt the 3802 do component swithing, so Xbox and DVD through component and and Sky on RGB scart. Might be worth a thought, or try for a price match JL do 5year warranty i think have a serch some people have got really good deals on JL pricematch on Loewe.

3. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The aconda has 3 scarts

1 is composite/svid
    2 is rgb/svid/composite
    3 is rgb/composite/svid/component

there is no (easy and/or wife friendly) way of hooking up a PS DVD player to a Loewe as it stands - even with the VGA card

The picture and design are really good though

Phil

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Sessen Ryu

Have you considered the jvc 32d25 with dist technology, I think its around 1300 and has progressive both ntsc and pal, heaps of features. Its the only tv i have seen on progressive scan that gives a real movie feel to the picture. It also has dolby digital decoder with subwoofer and good speakers. Ive just added 2 rear speakers to it and it is suberb.

good luck:)

5. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks everyone.

Badger - HoF told me that the Aconda only has one RGB!?? I'll check it out - thanx for the info.

Haven't considered the JVC. It looks tempting actually. Another plus for the Loewe is that (so I've been told) they're very robust - and after the problems I had with the Panasonic (not to mention dealing with Comet <cough w****ers>, I just want a television which is'nt gonna go wrong.

If I'm to believe my local trusty salesman, wouldn't the Loewe last a lot longer than any JVC, Tosh, Panny, Sony, Phillips etc ?

6. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which tv did you have which was faulty?

You can currently get a PANASONIC TX36PL30C from qed-uk.com for a bargainous £914.96 inc vat and delivery.

7. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Crumpetman,

I can't remember the part number - but believe it was the 36" panny before this one.

that is a good deal. just concerned about the warranty.. and aftersales service.

thanks for the info.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to work at comet - before I left because they're a bunch of <cough w****rs> - and I think the only 36" tv they stocked that was panasonic was the TX36PB50.

The TX32PH40 which I had the pleasure of arsing about with for months on end was "robust" as you like to put it, although off air & VHS performance was V poor indeed.

I'd recommend a Toshiba Picture Frame 2. The picture frame 1 was nigh on perfect & nobody I've sold one to (or instructed somebody to buy) has had any problems with them at all.

Leowe TVs have a very distinct picture - good performers, but I wouldn't say their pictures have the greatest sense of depth in the world.

You could take a risk with the Tosh Strata range if you felt like a gamble too.