1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£600 dilema

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mat-Moo, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm really tempted to get a PJ for about the £600 mark... not that interested in 2nd hand as you have no warranty and really don't know where you stand if something goes wrong. Projectors I've looked at include the "BenQ Pb6100", "Infocus X1", "Epson EMP-TW10H", "Toshiba TDP-S9 DLP" etc. and everytime I think yes, that one, I then see one bad review that puts me off. Any feedback on this would be really useful.

Secondly The screen size I want to create will be about 6ft wide (diameter, not across the angles) from 12ft away (ceiling mounted to remove kid attacks!). The PB6100 (probably my fav I think) would do what I want providing I used the zoom option on it, is this a bad thing?

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    No problem using the zoom on a projector - that's what it's there for :)

If you can stretch to £630 the Benq 5120 (5 are showing instock at Technoworld at this price, looks a good price too) might be a better DLP choice for home cinema and DVDs etc (providing that's what you want the projector for of course). It's native widescreen (854x480 as opposed to 800x600 on the 6100), has slightly better colour wheel technology (2x speed/5 segment vs 2x speed 4 segment), is quieter in operation, and has a DVI input.

A quick look at projectorcentrals image calculator though reveals that neither will "quite" do 6ft wide screen from 12' away - the 6100 will give 56-69" at that distance, while the 5120 will give 75-92" , but both are close (within 3").
    This is assuming their calculator is accurate of course - but you can download the manuals from BenQ's website if you want to be sure.

http://www.technoworld.com/productdisplay.asp?ProductID=19419

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-PE5120-projection-calculator-pro.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-PB6100-projection-calculator-pro.htm

3. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,274
    Thats a relief !

Sorry to hijack but I ordered a Benq 5120 from techno world today delivered ay £630

Every dlp I've seen doesnt show rainbows but I couldnt get this one demo'd.

I've been beating myself up all day that I made the right decision or should have waited until I could afford a 4805

Nice to hear its rated here as well as on projector central

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Go on throw another projector on the pile of maybes :) the biggest downside I can see on the 5120 is that a lot of people seem to notice the rainbow effect on it, and it could even be too wide for my use as 75" would just be too much (bit limited with mounting positions etc.)

Sniffer - let me know what you think when you get it, is this your first projector? You using a screen? Where abouts in teh country are you (If your close enough I woudln't mind a nose!)

5. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,274

Its actually my 2nd. I have a 2nd hand Panny SVGA data 4:3 PJ but screen door and pq is awful.

I have a Panny PW5 plasma hooked up to my HTPC for daily use and wanted a WS PJ just for DVD's (from the HTPC), the 5120 looked ideal. Obviously the 4805 is a better pj but I couldnt justify another £300 for it.

I'm juts praying the lower wheel speed on the 5120 isnt going to give me rainbows !!

Hopefully it should arrive on Monday. I have a 6' wide 4:3 screen at the mo. If all is well I'll be changing that to a 16:9 7'
    I'll let you know what I think as soon as I have it

Edit: I'm in Weybridge, Surrey

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Well you did ask :) :).

The BenQ 5120 has similar 2x speed (but possibly slightly better due to having an extra segment) colour wheel technology to both the 6100 or the X1, and while it's not an exact science, people who notice rainbow effect on the 5120, would most likely notice it on those 2 models as well, and possibly most budget DLP projectors using similar colour wheel technology.
    If it's a worry then you'd have to try models with better colour wheel technology - ie the so called 4x (or above) 6 segment (or above) models) and consequently higher price (so called, because usually with the 4x models they aren't actually spinning the wheel any faster, they just use 2 lots of RGB segments per rotation, effectively doubling the refresh rate of each colour - more exotic combinations exist, such as 5x/7 and 5x/8 segment, which do spin the wheel faster, but none of these are available at the budget level)
    There are a few 4x/6 segment models available under a grand though - the Infocus 4805 (£999) and Toshiba MT200 (c£800) are two which spring to mind (and both would fit your throw distance requirements), but if you are susceptible to the rainbow effect, then there's no guarantee that you still won't see it with this technology, though generally it seems it's less likely and if you do, it's to a lesser degree.
    Have you demoed any DLP models at all, to see if rainbows are an issue generally for you with this technology! Many people don't see them at all, and some of the ones who do, aren't particularly bothered by the effect. It's a very individual thing though - it has to be said that there are a few who cannot watch a DLP unit at all due to this effect!

Alternatively you could switch to LCD models (which don't have rainbow issues), such as the Epson you suggested (but that will only throw an 80-125" image from 12' away).
    LCDs have other drawbacks though - the whole DLP v LCD debate has been done to death before, so there's no point going over it all again!

What's your viewing distance from the screen going to be? With the lower res models, it might be prudent to plan for a 2:1 ratio or more (viewing distance to screen width) rather than any closer, due to the pixel structure becoming visible, and in the case of lower res LCD models, the chicken wire effect! This is a personal thing though - there's no hard and fast rules here, just guidelines and suggestions.

While it's going up the price scale a fair bit, arguably the best HC LCD model for under a grand would be the Hitachi PJTX100, which is a HD ready 1280x720 model. Several others are priced within a few hundred more (the usual suspects are the Z3 and AE700 - although if you read these forums, I'm sure you knew that already :) )

7. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the input, the seating position will be 12ft (under the projector) and I really don't want to extend the budget too much as am also buying a new tv as well (32" lcd I suspect, not 100% sure which ine yet!).

8. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Let me know how you get on, I see NexNix have this for £746 (total) but that comes with a 6' x 6' screen and x-box (kinda tempting for a bit of fun!)!!

9. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,274
    Well, the 5120 arrived this evening !! :clap: :clap:

I've only got my 5ft 4:3 screen and svid direct from my Sky+ to connect up with at the moment . 5 m DVI cable (from HTPC) and 7' 16:9 screen arrive tomorrow :D

I set the pj up alongside my Panny Plasma (pw5) and HTPC/Sweetspot/Xcard combo.

As I said I couldnt demo the Benq so went on reviews and also the basis that a mates older DLP didnt give me rainbows.

First impressions - absolutely blown away !! PQ via Svid isnt far off my 1:1 SD plasma/HTPC !! Not even a sign of a rainbow

In ECO mode, lovely colours , pin sharp, no pixels visible from 2x screen width. Cant wait to see what it looks like on a 7' screen and with a decent cable via Sweetspot and Dscaler !!

More than happy :smashin:

10. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sold :) Now just got to decide where to buy from, and what screen to get... The free screen from NexNix is a 4:3 and I'd rather have 16:9, so do I lump the extra at NexNix (£746) to get the projector/Screen/Xbox... or do I Just get the cheap (£630) one and source the screen seperatley (been looking at this one http://www.projectorscreen.co.uk/html/sapphire_manual_wall_screens_w.html) - oh and need to sort some svhs cables...

11. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,274
  12. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  13. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,274
  14. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Going to be s-video for now due to moutning positions, got to find a decent length (10m I expect) cable.

15. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Under £600 with a free Xbox - that makes the PJ around £500 or so - for a budget buyer with no rainbow effect issues, makes the decision pretty easy IMO!!

They'll be paying people to have them soon!! :)

16. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,274

I'd have to say (and it was only 10 mins with an old Svideo cable) that theres no way you would believe the PQ was from a £ 5/600 PJ.

Projector Central and other sites are comparing it favourably with the 4805. Tweakability is a lot less but TBH I have my HTPC and plasma for playing around with. Missus Sniff just wants to plug n go :)

17. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the mailer from Dabs has pretty much pushed me over the edge.

Wasn't really comfortable with shelling out for the Panny AE700 but for £600 the Benq 5120 looks just the ticket for my needs