Question £600 Budget

Stevie12345

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I've been reading the forums for a few years but this is my first time posting.

I've only ever had soundbars but talked the wife into a 5.1.2 Atmos set up. The only speakers I could get passed her were the Kef T205 in white. They arrived last week and will look very nice fitted but I'm not sure which receiver to buy to get the best from the speakers? I have a budget of £600.

The Denon AVRX-3400 is just in budget for you:

Denon AVR-X3400H

It's well regarded and reviewed. I don't find the Denon's to be particularly 'musical' so they wouldn't be my first choice for a hi fi stereo music set-up, but for a 5.1.2 movie / tv set-up with those speakers, I think it should do a very good job.

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem I'm having is the size of most of the things I look at. The way my room is set up means it has to be on show so has to be wife friendly.

What are your thoughts on the Marantz NR1608 for my speakers? It's small and easy on the eye. My living room is only small and It will be hooked up to an LG EF950v, Fire TV, 4K BT TV and a Panasonic DMP-UB900.

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem I'm having is the size of most of the things I look at. The way my room is set up means it has to be on show so has to be wife friendly.

What are your thoughts on the Marantz NR1608 for my speakers? It's small and easy on the eye. My living room is only small and It will be hooked up to an LG EF950v, Fire TV, 4K BT TV and a Panasonic DMP-UB900.
The Marantz NR1608 has a 250 watt power supply, whereas the Denon 3400 has a 600 watt one. I would personally not think that 250 watts is adequate to power 7 speakers, and get a very good, room filling, dynamic audio experience. So, it depends on what you are hoping to achieve?

I want the best for my money but my wife won't have anything that doesn't fit with our living room. I may have to have a think about how to hide the receiver.

Perhaps not the most timely of posts unless you're able to return the speakers but did you look at purchasing a receiver at the same time as your speakers ? For example Peter Tyson sell the Kef t205 speakers for £1499 and the speakers bundled with the £600 receiver Rambles mentioned for £1749, an apparent saving of £350.

It's too late to take them back.

This is my set up, the LG sound base will be removed once I choose a receiver, as you can see I don't have much space for a large receiver.
DSC_0028.JPG

Would a full size receiver fit on the bottom shelf where the photo frames are? What is the round thing in the middle with a candle in, is that part of the unit?

Alternatively, the subwoofer does not need to be at the front of the room, (I have mine behind my sofa) so you could possibly move that and have the receiver placed there (if you move the light also).

Or, get a different cabinet.

Sony STR-DN1080 and save a few quid ?

As far as the wife approval goes, all amps look kind of similar (silver/black boxes) so how about building a cabinet that looks like your sub, (i.e. a border with a grille in it) and placing it the other side of the TV?

Alternatively find another table/unit that has doors to hide an AVR (and maybe, the rest of your kit ?).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom