Question £600-700 budget for 55" - Samsung?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by autsab, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. autsab

autsab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm unsure on what TV to get which I need to get ASAP.

I'm mainly using it for watching TV channels, movies and TV shows (as well as by using streaming services).

The Samsung 55MU6100/6200 has dropped down in price, now at about £669 and £699 for the curved version, and I can get a 10% discount (at Argos), so this means that it will be at about £600 and £630 respectively, and obviously, the lower the price, the better. However, I'm sceptical about the MU6100 because it seems to have a PLS panel, whereas I'd like deeper blacks, as well as that its panel seems to be purely 8-bit without any dithering like other TVs at this price. It also does not have a WCG.

I am looking to experience a fair amount of HDR (not extremely obsessed with it, and obviously at this price I won't get the best), which is supported on Netflix and Amazon, and I may get some movies with it, so although the MU6100 is labelled as "HDR", it seems that it won't be able to do anything with it.

On the other hand, the 55MU6670 in Currys PC World has dropped to £799, and with a discount, I can get it to £720, and although it may be a bit too much for me and I'd ideally prefer something a bit less, I can stretch to that price, and it seems to be better than the MU6100 with a WCG, VA panel and 10-bit (with dithering of course). I also of course like the design better and prefer a curved screen, but the PQI is slightly higher than the MU6400/6500, although I've heard people saying that the Samsung 6 series are not worth the price that they originally were.

I've been unable to find another TV that is suitable, so if someone could recommend me one or one of these Samsung TVs, I'd highly appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    You can't get a TV that has anything more than a wide colour gamut for HDR so largely its barely worth it. In many cases using HDR on TVs without the hardware to show it decently its best just keeping it turned off.

If you look at the link in my signature for the HDR TV overview and explanation you will get a better explanation along with TVs that fit into the wide colour gamut category.

In post 2 of the section panel hz, type, motion and pixel structure for 2017 models you will see the known VA panels in blue text, whilst IPS/PLS are green and unknown black.

There is also a guide I wrote for 2016 models with panel info: guide my best value UHD TVs. Even though you are pretty late to the game, some greater deals can be found buying from the year before. If you could pick up a 2016 model that has at least decent HDR performance like a Samsung KS series TV, particularly the curved models which sell out later.

Also keep an eye on refurb/ex display deals or people selling on their 2016 models in the classifieds sometimes here!

I know this doesn't comply with you getting argos discount, but unless you happen to find deals with them of 2016 refurbs there isn't great pricing on 2017 models yet. Your best bet is to wait if you want a 2017 model. By black friday/xmas you will likely get a lot more for your money and by spring next year TVs will be at their lowest and you won't have much of a problem picking up a capable HDR TV, plus you might be able to save a little more money. There is another post I made in my signature about this: the best time to buy a TV.

3. autsab

autsab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,535
    The LCD panel isn't involved in creating the higher dynamic range itself so the extra bit depth isn't required for that like they are on an OLED.

The reason to use dithering or a higher bit depth panel on an LCD in front of a wide gamut backlight is so that you can display the SDR colour gamut with the full 256 shades per colour. Otherwise some of your shades wouldn't be outside the colour space and unusable, and you'd be left with fewer.

If you have a standard colour gamut backlight, then your 8-bit subpixels map directly to the content.

Samsung do MU6200 and above models that are curved variants of the MU6100. I don't know if they're PLS or SVA though.

In your case I would focus more on the software side of things. Given you're feeding it a lot of HDR content and want a deep black level it's more important whether it keeps the average picture brightness at reasonable levels when mapping HDR to it's capabilities than the exact details of those capabilities. Unfortunately not a lot of reviewers go into much detail about HDR performance.

5. autsab

autsab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'll probably wait longer for TV prices to go down, because now, despite the sale, it is still pretty bad for me.