£600 - £1k Sony Camcorder. 350VE, 520VE, 550VE?

Tarfful

Standard Member
Reaction score
Appologies for starting another thread but I am finding it hard to get info on the Sony HDR XR350VE.

I am looking to purchase a good HD camcorder for holidays etc ive got 2 big ones coming up in a few months... im also keen on attempting some ameture film/trailer making. From extensive reading I am leaning towards Sony.

Ive got 2 main questions really, ive seen the 350VE and the 350VEB advertised, however cant find any real difference apart from £200 :)

Secondly, the 350VE seems to retail for around £600 - £800 where as the 520VE, 550VE retail for around £900 - £1100. Could someone please tell me if the jump is worth the money? Honestly looking at the tech specs, it doesnt help. The 500s have 5.1 and a few higher fingers but they dont help you make a judgement in real world situations. John Bentley from the Gadget Show also recommends the 520 :) Id just like to know if youd really see £200/£300 worth of difference over the 350.

Another reason I am leaning towards the 350 is size, it seems to be quite a % smaller than the 500s. On Holiday size matters, having the ability to put it in your pocket. I am also keen to purchase a good low light camcorder.

Kind Regards
Jon

Last edited:
If I were researching a camcorder above £600 I d be researching a bit more deeply than the gadget show! The program is a nonsense in the eyes of many people, doesn't properly test or review anything!

Yes I know, I put that in as a kinda joke :)

Id appreciate opinions on whether you can really notice the difference between the 350 and 500s.

Anyone got a 350? I did a search and I didnt come up with any threads.

Very few reviews of that model about

are you sticking to Sony or considering others?

Yeah I can't find many reviews. Hope it's just newer and not because it's no good.

The reason I am looking at Sonys is because of friend recommendations. Seeing them in person and using them. Plus size, I've seen Sony, Canon and Panasonic equivilants next to each other and the Sonys seem much smaller. Size does matter to me.

Always up for recommendations though.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Panasonic 700 series - or the new 600 series which are the same but without the EVF. I've just bought the HDC-TM700 (£799) and the quality is pretty amazing - it's also very compact. According to the reviews this is the best semi-pro camcorder you can get at the moment and I have no reason to doubt that. It has more features than the Sony (1080p HD for example which is superb), better quality output and is cheaper. Panny has moved the game on and Sony and Canon have a bit of catching up to do. The reviews say this is way ahead of the Canon HF-21 which is £1200.

Last edited:
Thank you for the recommendation! I will take a look.

About the Panasonic, they look fabulous for the price! but ive heard they dont like being turned upside down. They turn off? Even if you hold them at a 90 degree angle they arnt happy. Is this true?

After a bit of research the SD600 is currently top of my list :)

Last edited:
ah the joys of Gadget show............. Dont beleive it! Go try one for yourself and see what happens!

Hehe indeed :) Been doing my research tonight, I'm going to play with one on Saturday. If it ticks all the boxes... almost certain it will.... I'm going to pick up a HDC SD600. Just as good as the TM700, I can live with a touch screen focus... smaller, lighter... same stunning image quality... and only £550. Bargin!

Plus, a big factor for me is SD cards. Much more user friendly than Sony memory cards.

Last edited:
I tried to get the SD700 (which is available for about £680) but no one had them in stock - Panasonic charge a lot for the on-board 32Gb on the TM700. I definitely wanted the EVF though - it's much easier to take a steady shot through the EVF than peering into an LCD at arm's length, especially in sunshine. Best of luck.

Is the SD700 basically the TM700 but without the onboard 32gb? Same manual focus ring and EVF, size? Where as the SD600 is basically the TM700 but without the EVF, manual focus ring, 32gb and slightly smaller.

Hmm the SD700 is £650, trying to decide if the EVF and focus ring is worth £100 :)

Yes, the TM versions have 32Gb of solid-state memory which seems indistinguishable from SD card. I didn't really want to pay £120 for this option because you can get a decent 32Gb SDHC card for much less, but the SD700 was a bit hard to find in stock, except for over £800.

I think the 700 and 600 are identical except for the EVF. The EVF doesn't really make it any bigger than the 600 because the battery sticks out at the back below the EVF - the EVF is only a few millimetres extra. The 700 has a function select button at the front to allow you to select the various functions that are controlled by the ring at the front of the camera - if you're using the LCD these are controlled by the touch screen. Apart from that they're the same. I reckon the EVF is well worth £100, even though it's only 123k dots, because you can get steadier pictures when hand-holding - at least I find it helps me.

Thanks for the info/opinion Cat! Ill take a look at all three models in the shop, easier to make an opinion after using them.

Good stuff!

Are there also not different in the shooting mode as the Sd700 has more?

But would you notice there absence?

I am in the same dilemma and can get the SD600 for under 400 in hard cash from comet as I have gift card I have not used.

Amazon had the SD700 for 658

Is the SD700 basically the TM700 but without the onboard 32gb? Same manual focus ring and EVF, size? Where as the SD600 is basically the TM700 but without the EVF, manual focus ring, 32gb and slightly smaller.

Hmm the SD700 is £650, trying to decide if the EVF and focus ring is worth £100 :)

Remember with the SD700 you're also getting 5 onboard microphones to record in 5.1, as opposed to the SD600s stereo, external mic and headphone jacks, cold accessory shoe, and a 3" LCD instead of 2.7"...I was tempted by the 700

Just placed an order for a SD700, thanks for all your help guys! appreciate it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom