Answered £6, £12 or £50 - what premium is acceptable on UHD Blu-rays?

RayP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the prices quoted for Despicable Me & Despicable Me 2 on Amazon UK. The first two prices are for the bundled DVD and Blu-Ray disks.

The last price is for two separate disks upscaled artificially from 2K to 4K. They also include HDR and Dolby Vision.

Now I know there is a premium on new technology but in all seriousness I'm not prepared to pay a 415% premium given the lack of effort by the studio to tempt us into this medium. The films are no funnier or entertaining in 4K than Blu-ray and given the excellent upscaling of both my TV and Oppo 203 with Blu-ray I doubt the difference will be night and day.

I would be prepared to pay £30-35 for both, £40 absolute max. That is more than enough. Do you feel the same given in a few months time the 4K price will invariably drop?

And are you fed up with the lack of true 4K films? The majority appear to be 2K upscales but with no reduction over a true 4K one.

Those are the prices quoted for Despicable Me & Despicable Me 2 on Amazon UK. The first two prices are for the bundled DVD and Blu-Ray disks.

The last price is for two separate disks upscaled artificially from 2K to 4K. They also include HDR and Dolby Vision.

Now I know there is a premium on new technology but in all seriousness I'm not prepared to pay a 415% premium given the lack of effort by the studio to tempt us into this medium. The films are no funnier or entertaining in 4K than Blu-ray and given the excellent upscaling of both my TV and Oppo 203 with Blu-ray I doubt the difference will be night and day.

I would be prepared to pay £30-35 for both, £40 absolute max. That is more than enough. Do you feel the same given in a few months time the 4K price will invariably drop?

And are you fed up with the lack of true 4K films? The majority appear to be 2K upscales but with no reduction over a true 4K one.
If you feel that your Blu-ray player and TV do an adequate job of upscaling to 4K why don't you just get the Blu-ray versions? Particularly as you seem hung up on the 2k to 4k thing.

Prices will inevitably come down or be part of buy 2 get them half price deals in the future.

Hey Ray. I think the issue is that like with DVD and BD before it, this question needs to be taken on a title by title basis.

For the Despicable Me films, as amusing as I find them, I agree that the premium you show is not at all what I would pay. But having said that, just this very morning I've paid £23 for the new version of Bird with the Crystal Plumage. I already have the previous BD but on Amazon I could buy it on DVD for £3.73 - that's a 500% premium for only one tech generation up! And that's only for one film.......so it needs to start with the film, as only you can dictate what the premium is for each one. For some with a DV set and who love the films, plus with kids who can use the regular BDs or digital codes for friends/family/selling on, £50 may not seem like an inordinate premium to pay.

My issue is the seemingly massive disparity between studios and their pricing strategy for UHD BD - I picked up Dredd in the States a fortnight ago on day 1 on a supermarket for $18 (about £14). At the same time I picked up the Expendables three-pack for $23.....all with added Atmos (which is the biggy for me as I'm still rocking a 1080p PJ rather than a 4K display) and all of which seemed like incredible value to me. Still a hike over what we can pick these films up for on regular old BD, but the premium was significantly less than Universals apparent prices and one I was happy to pay.

As ever, different studios will come at this pricing thing differently and its that apparent inconsistency which doesn't help things. I think it will all settle down, as all tech has over time. I myself had a value question this morning - paying £10 extra for The Great Wall and Lego Batman on UHD when the regular BD had the Atmos track I wanted....for those discs, I'll go regular BD (I did this with Split and Morgan recently as well - no Atmos/DTS:X, no premium paid). If the regular BDs hadn't had Atmos, then I suppose I would have paid the extra, so I've set myself my own premium based on whats important to me.......as annoyingly as many of the yoof now say on this here interweb, your mileage may vary.

If you feel that your Blu-ray player and TV do an adequate job of upscaling to 4K why don't you just get the Blu-ray versions? Particularly as you seem hung up on the 2k to 4k thing.

Prices will inevitably come down or be part of buy 2 get them half price deals in the future.

Because I'm sure HDR / DV do add a little to the overall viewing experience.

I was also hoping people would agree with me about false 4K claims. I know I've had this discussion before but I can't believe everyone on these forums is just willing to pay well over the odds for films when they are the same people who look for bargains when buying the hardware to watch it on.

I will almost certainly wait until the prices drop because I would like the highest quality available but the premiums being asked are ridiculous.

Hey Ray. I think the issue is that like with DVD and BD before it, this question needs to be taken on a title by title basis.

For the Despicable Me films, as amusing as I find them, I agree that the premium you show is not at all what I would pay. But having said that, just this very morning I've paid £23 for the new version of Bird with the Crystal Plumage. I already have the previous BD but on Amazon I could buy it on DVD for £3.73 - that's a 500% premium for only one tech generation up! And that's only for one film.......so it needs to start with the film, as only you can dictate what the premium is for each one. For some with a DV set and who love the films, plus with kids who can use the regular BDs or digital codes for friends/family/selling on, £50 may not seem like an inordinate premium to pay.

My issue is the seemingly massive disparity between studios and their pricing strategy for UHD BD - I picked up Dredd in the States a fortnight ago on day 1 on a supermarket for $18 (about £14). At the same time I picked up the Expendables three-pack for $23.....all with added Atmos (which is the biggy for me as I'm still rocking a 1080p PJ rather than a 4K display) and all of which seemed like incredible value to me. Still a hike over what we can pick these films up for on regular old BD, but the premium was significantly less than Universals apparent prices and one I was happy to pay.

As ever, different studios will come at this pricing thing differently and its that apparent inconsistency which doesn't help things. I think it will all settle down, as all tech has over time. I myself had a value question this morning - paying £10 extra for The Great Wall and Lego Batman on UHD when the regular BD had the Atmos track I wanted....for those discs, I'll go regular BD (I did this with Split and Morgan recently as well - no Atmos/DTS:X, no premium paid). If the regular BDs hadn't had Atmos, then I suppose I would have paid the extra, so I've set myself my own premium based on whats important to me.......as annoyingly as many of the yoof now say on this here interweb, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Coz. There's no doubt we pay a significant premium in the UK over our US cousins. There's only me in this house so the BD/streaming version is of no interest. I'm effectively paying £25 for just the UHD disk.

I know it's all about new technology attracting a premium but there's the counter argument that if people don't pay these prices they will inevitably drop. Are people willing to go through a bit of personal 'pain' to force the studios to lower their prices because they must be making a mint.

When DM/DM2 drop to less than £40 I'll buy but not before then.

For these movies it is purely because they are the first and only DV discs available. Yes I'd love to have DV, but a) I don't like despicable me anyway therefore to me the value is very low, and b) I don't fancy paying chancers for the privileges to be the first.

In my mind these prices are purely such that some can boost as the first in the world with their views on forums as to what DV is about it. It makes no logical sense to buy them at these prices for any other reason.

I'm not necessarily with you on the 2K thing, sure it is nice to have everything in 4K as movies like Billy Lynn look fantastic and are worth it in my opinion.

Ultimately I buy movies because I like them and would like to watch them again. I don't buy them because of their technological attributes.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Coz. There's no doubt we pay a significant premium in the UK over our US cousins. There's only me in this house so the BD/streaming version is of no interest. I'm effectively paying £25 for just the UHD disk.

I know it's all about new technology attracting a premium but there's the counter argument that if people don't pay these prices they will inevitably drop. Are people willing to go through a bit of personal 'pain' to force the studios to lower their prices because they must be making a mint.

I'm with you, I think everyone should stop buying UHD discs until they are at a price that we like. I'm only doing it if everyone does though.

I'm with you, I think everyone should stop buying UHD discs until they are at a price that we like. I'm only doing it if everyone does though.

I know your answer was tongue-in-cheek but that is what it will take for the studios to listen. It doesn't take everyone to resist though - just a significant majority. There will always be people who would buy it whatever the cost.

I'm with you on the premium as it stands for DM/DM2 - I wouldn't pay it for those films.

We all know new tech comes at a premium and in some cases, even though we know its in our best interests to wait, we can't/don't - I'm rocking an admittedly cracking AVR that came out 2nd/3rd gen Atmos, but pre DTS:X. I knew DTS:X was coming, but not when so I really should have waited, especially when the AVR in question was £1,500...........but nope. I blundered in, bought it, still love it (it is a cracking bit of kit.......!), but know that if I'd waited 3 months, I'd have got a similar piece of kit, for less, that I could now actually listen to DTS:X on.......:(

Each generation has had these price hikes for new tech - again, we've all paid £25 for a DVD when it first came out (I remember paying £50 at the Trafford Centre, in a fit of giddy excitement, for Sphere and Tomorrow Never Dies on DVD....in SD and lossy DD5.1 20-odd years ago, so in comparison, DM1 and DM2 in the highest quality we've ever had in the home somehow doesn't quite seem so bad........and luckily I was never a LD man, otherwise I'd have spent even more). And we continued to do so until prices came down. Same with BD, and now with UHD. People are speculating that when Disney (and Marvel and Pixar) enter the 4K fray, that we could be looking at £30 discs.......that will be a tough pill for a lot of people to swallow and one that I personally will have to look at if its a touch too high.

But I think that as enthusiasts, its almost our job to go through that pain of high prices until they start to come down......isn't it? Or is that just me???? There's some who buy UHDs just to support the market as if no-one bought them, then we just would stop getting them. So, its horses for courses how each of us values and tackles each new tech gen.

Last edited:
@Coz22998 I agree entirely about early adopters. I thought long and hard about the Loewe TV I bought given the price but I never fancied LG as a premium brand and I don't regret paying what I did.

With my AVR I bought it when the new models were coming out so got it for half-price and it's a great amp. No Atmos of course but then I don't really want to have holes in my lounge ceiling. Call me old-fashioned! :D

Yep, can remember paying £10 for DVDs back at the start of the century but asking 2.5 times as much in 17 years seems tpo much. £20 is fine as is proven by the Two for £30 at HMV once titles have been out a while.

I must have been one of the few people who went from DVD straight to 4K missing out BD completely. I've probably saved a fortune! :D

Going back to my TV it's still the same price now as when I bought it in Nov and when you consider the Pound's value that's good going. In short, if you're prepared to wait and not buy kit / media as soon as it appears you can save a fair bit just by waiting a few months or maximum a year.

@Coz22998 I agree entirely about early adopters. I thought long and hard about the Loewe TV I bought given the price but I never fancied LG as a premium brand and I don't regret paying what I did.

With my AVR I bought it when the new models were coming out so got it for half-price and it's a great amp. No Atmos of course but then I don't really want to have holes in my lounge ceiling. Call me old-fashioned! :D

Yep, can remember paying £10 for DVDs back at the start of the century but asking 2.5 times as much in 17 years seems tpo much. £20 is fine as is proven by the Two for £30 at HMV once titles have been out a while.

I must have been one of the few people who went from DVD straight to 4K missing out BD completely. I've probably saved a fortune! :D

Going back to my TV it's still the same price now as when I bought it in Nov and when you consider the Pound's value that's good going. In short, if you're prepared to wait and not buy kit / media as soon as it appears you can save a fair bit just by waiting a few months or maximum a year.
Hardware and software are exactly the same - we know if we wait, there'll be better models and deals down the line.......but imagine if everyone did that and the market just froze. No-one's buying AVRs, so lets just stop making them the manufacturers say....its like fancy-dan economics of supply and demand. Or the 'chicken and the egg scenario' as I refer to it......and at this point in time, I'm sure studios are just looking for any excuse to do away with physical media entirely and just have everything digital.....shudder......:eek:

You mention paying £10 for a DVD back in 2000/2001, but as I said, I'd been paying £25 a disc for the previous 3/4 years by that point, so in a way me paying those premium prices allowed you to join the market a number of years later and enjoy reduced prices....dammit!!!! I'll work out how much you owe me for that later.......;) But that's kind of the point - we're not at the same point in the tech lifecycle with UHD we were when you joined the DVD market. Give it two years, like you did with DVD and we may well be seeing £15 UHD BDs.

For me, I don't see the prices this time round any different from the previous ones - what has changed though is two-fold:

1. We as consumers (and especially enthusiasts) have gotten a hell of a lot smarter. Thank the internet but we're so much more tech savvy now than we ever were when buying that CRT TV and our first DVD player, that we now know more about what we're buying and this has impacted on our own questions of perceived 'value'; and

2. The change in perceived quality between the generations has also reduced - VHS to DVD: pretty big quality wise but massive convenience wise; DVD to BD: pretty darn massive, especially as screens have got bigger; and finally BD to UHD: for some people, there's not a massive difference so their view of perceived value has also diminished.

I'm waffling now, but to get back to the OP, I wouldn't pay £50 for the two DM films. But give me Alien/Aliens in 4K with Atmos and I couldn't throw money at someone quick enough. And I don't even have a 4K set !!!!!!

:facepalm:

LOL Exactly my point, for the right movie I'm willing to pay...But not that one. Hmm Aliens in 4K with Dolby Vision, now that sounds good to me :)

@Coz22998 inthink the short answer to your reply and indeed to question is if someone wants something bad enough they will pay pretty much any asking price.

The problem as I see it now is so few 4K films are genuinely of a high quality. The classic example being Sausage Party that can be had in 4K but the classics of previous decades are taking an age to find their way to the market.

On your point about hardware I'm in the camp where I only buy when my existing item has broken. I had a Denon AVC-A10SE for 12 years until one channel went u/s and I bought the Yamaha which I've had for 5. I'm not into buying new kit every year.

@Coz22998 inthink the short answer to your reply and indeed to question is if someone wants something bad enough they will pay pretty much any asking price.

The problem as I see it now is so few 4K films are genuinely of a high quality. The classic example being Sausage Party that can be had in 4K but the classics of previous decades are taking an age to find their way to the market.

On your point about hardware I'm in the camp where I only buy when my existing item has broken. I had a Denon AVC-A10SE for 12 years until one channel went u/s and I bought the Yamaha which I've had for 5. I'm not into buying new kit every year.
Yep Ray its pretty much that - there will always be people willing to pay for the best, shiniest, loudest, whatever -est you can think of.

I think the issue with the lack of excellent 4K films is that for the recent past, when studios made the switch from actual photochemical elements to digital ones, 2K for the most part was the de facto. At the time of Attack of the Clones and all that 'first ever truly digital film' malarkey, full HD was only just starting to be talked about. So to be fair to the studios, they have been working with 2K as their de rigouer DI resolution since their year dot.

Making the move to a truly 4K de facto DI will take time and money, both things we know studios don't like spending. I know there have been examples - Kwai, Lawrence, CEOT3K to name just a few - but the vast majority of all those classic films we're itching for will probably only have a 2K DI (or whatever the term is for the digital file - I'm a techno luddite deep down!!!). So we'll just have to be patient - I'm being charitable to the studios here but is this why we're seeing more modern films released with 4K DIs as opposed to the studios raiding their back catalogues?

Imagine Raiders being announced tomorrow in 4K.....but it will have a 2K DI. And as for HDR/WCG....er, well we've tweaked those so that you're actually getting something more for the your money (but its not what the director intended)........blimey, there'd be marches on Parliament, the White House, you name it, we'd have a riot!!!! I don't blame the studios for taking their time with back catalogue releases, although I'd love them - they have to be really careful as its a minefield for them: HDR/WGC will need a full regrade so they'll need to get the original DP in...but what if they're dead? Most current DIs are at 2K so each will need a full on rescan which will then show up a whole host of other work needed......... so I'm with the studios taking their time with the classics, as long as they do them properly. And we get modern 'classics', who have already had a 4K DI and a WCG/HDR pass done, like Sausage Party in the best quality you've ever had in the home......

Hardware is interesting as I'm very much a bit of both - I have no desire to upgrade my 1080p PJ which is now pushing 6 years old, but I'll upgrade my AVR for each iteration of new codecs.....again, its all down to 'value'. I can pick up a decent AVR at £1,000 every three years or so and not feel too hard done by, but to get my perceived value increase for a PJ, I'd have to pay upwards of £6k at the moment and that's before we get the issue with the implementation of HDR in PJs, which is far too rich for me......so again, it comes back to what's the perceived value for each individual and only that will answer the premium question. Sorry for going on squire, seem to be on one today!!!!!

I would not pay anything extra for a 4K disc as I find a BD upscaled by my Sony X800 into my Sony XD93 & new Marantz NR 1508 AVR is just as good, in fact I do not intend to buy any more 4K discs , I only have Planet Earth 11 & Inferno that came with the player. IMO 4k discs are a waste of money especially if BD versions are available. However Ihave absolutely no interest in IMO the absurd ATMOS others will disagree .

Last edited:
I would not pay anything extra for a 4K disc as I find a BD upscaled by my Sony X800 into my Sony XD93 & new Marantz NR 1508 AVR is just as good, in fact I do not intend to buy any more 4K discs , I only have Planet Earth 11 & Inferno that came with the player. IMO 4k discs are a waste of money especially if BD versions are available.
Which is fine for you - your 'value perception' is that 4K discs do not offer enough/any value for you. But as we've seen, they obviously do offer enough value for others. Its been really interesting seeing a number of these threads saying how 4K isn't worth it and that people are feeling ripped off - I think what's happened is people who previously have seen value in upgrading to the next generation of media are now not because that question of "does it offer value to me" is now trickier to answer.

Is that the formats fault? For me, I don't think so - for me, UHD offers value to me where it includes an object based soundtrack. If it includes that and the regular BD doesn't, I'm in. Where it doesn't, I usually don't bother and stick with regular BD. But I can see how others with massive 4K TVs, with DV/HDR and all that do get more value out of the 4K disc.

Our issue now as I said previously is that we're all far more knowledgeable than we ever were - the whole 2K/4K DI issue.....go back 2 years and would we even know what the hell a DI was??? I wouldn't! So we're starting to get more informed and this impacts on what we then perceive as value - some will not buy a 4K disc unless it has a 4K DI. Fine. But that doesn't mean that a 2K DI with HDR applied can't look better than the regular BD and offer some people enhanced value.

Yes, the market will have to adapt and encourage us to find value in their products......good luck to 'em I say!!!! But I don't think that UHD is any less 'value' or offers any less of an upgrade in 'value' than previous generations - the line has blurred because UHD is more an evolution of BD rather than a brand new generation. You can get Atmos/DTS:X on a regular BD so for me, UHD BD is like BD+. Would I like to pay £15 for every single Atmos disc? Yes please! But I don't mind paying sometimes a tenner more as that soundtrack is what represents 'value' to me.

God, sorry all, I'm now ranting like a sunburnt baboon. Off for a cool drink and a lie down methinks.......

I think that the 4K despicable me movies are a gamble release for universal, as the honeymoon period where some of us purchased nearly every release at the start is over, we are a bit more discerning now (as with all launches) with our purchases (im not available for comment on that one)
As much as i enjoy the despicable me movies they aren't ones I would happily pay £25 for as I know it's not something I'm going to be watching anytime soon (if minions was out I would have got that one as we've not seen it yet) they are also a gamble as I'm guessing the majority of 4K sales are by 20-50 year old males and are not buying them for "the kids to watch/play with" as they will already have their own grubby/sticky despicable me discs (at a guess)
So to make the gamble pay off they make them the first dolby vision Discs available [emoji6]knowing that there is a section of early adopters out there who will clamber to get anything with dolby vision
As for a larger back catalogue adoption it takes time (as with all new formats) and will probably take a bit longer with 4K as they need to do it right first time as this could be the last time some of the original negatives are scanned (unless they opt for an 8k scan in the future!) Sony already have a good back catalogue of their movies all 4K'd and ready to go (although a lot of them were done a few years back)
Personally I'm happy with each disc ive seen, is there a huge jump like vhs-dvd on each title? No, but watching them on the big screen and seeing things like pores on actors faces that weren't visible previously are the kind of things that make me smile, my non av friends have no idea what is 4K and what isn't as it all looks so good ("is this 4K?" Is now a weekly question)

My first VHS was £30 in an half price sale at WH Smiths,I paid over £100 on LD my first dvd were £20/25 depending on US or UK,my first blu rays were £25,even today some imports I buy don't come cheap.
I think their is an big different between film collector like me,and others who just want to watch the movie once,and are not bothered about keeping it.
Look at the prices some steel books go for ?.

Believe or not I enjoy my collection & movies :)

My first VHS was £30 in an half price sale at WH Smiths,I paid over £100 on LD my first dvd were £20/25 depending on US or UK,my first blu rays were £25,even today some imports I buy don't come cheap.
I think their is an big different between film collector like me,and others who just want to watch the movie once,and are not bothered about keeping it.

Starting with DVD that medium was a big improvement over VHS tape. Blu-ray was still a significant improvement over DVD. But unless you have a 65"+ TV the differences between BD and UHD are not as obvious. I know HDR adds something but it's something I could live without on a pro-calibrated TV.

Maybe when we move up to 75" as a minimum size the benefits of 4K will be more obvious. As for selecting films I have always only bought those I would want to watch more than once. That cuts out a lot of chaff which I'm happy to watch on Sky.

Despicable Me did make me laugh which is why it is appealing. But I can wait until the price drops to a more acceptable level.

Starting with DVD that medium was a big improvement over VHS tape. Blu-ray was still a significant improvement over DVD. But unless you have a 65"+ TV the differences between BD and UHD are not as obvious. I know HDR adds something but it's something I could live without on a pro-calibrated TV.

Maybe when we move up to 75" as a minimum size the benefits of 4K will be more obvious. As for selecting films I have always only bought those I would want to watch more than once. That cuts out a lot of chaff which I'm happy to watch on Sky.

Despicable Me did make me laugh which is why it is appealing. But I can wait until the price drops to a more acceptable level.

On my set i do notice the difference,if i dont i just sell the Disc on :)

Plus seem an bit odd,your prepare to spend over the odd on your gear, but not on the discs :confused:

Last edited:
Maybe when we move up to 75" as a minimum size the benefits of 4K will be more obvious.
ah yes, i think i'm watching it projected to around 300" :blush:

Having bought into 4k earlier this year I've actually opted out of buying UHD discs because of this.
I have bought The Mummy Trilogy because of a lot of good reviews and it does look nice but generally unless its made crystal clear that a release really is 4k all the way I just won't buy them.
When a brand new release appears for the first time on home video I will usually opt for the UHD if its not too much more but as for upgrading existing Blurays to UHD I just don't bother anymore.

I'm hopeful that the Columbia classics River Kwai , Navarone and Close Encounters are true 4k and hoping that is made very clear before release I will get those but basically I've opted out of UHD for the con that it is most of the time and I will wait for the inevitable UHD upgrades when titles get reissued in proper full 4k

People that don't want to keep the movie will rent or watch Sky or Netflix so any purchase price is nothing to them

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom