£5k on a TV? anything on horizon?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
We've just had an offer on our house and I'm already thinking about what TV we could buy for the new one.

Whatever we get, I'm going to miss my JVC X9500 with 130inch wide projector screen and in-wall 7.1.4 kef speakers.

49050678808_3c82239190_k.jpg49051397647_962f4ee167_k.jpg

It'll be for UHD, Netflix & PS5 gaming - I see there are 85inch TVs but I have also read so far they are not great value - oh and I also read "There is no perfect TV" shame! :)

Looking at the price of the LG OLED83C1 from the 'Pro' options in 80+ I've set a budget of around £5k, which Louise has found acceptable (still going to need speakers though right..)

Still not sure whether I should be concerned about burn-in, and I wonder what could be on the horizon - since it'll be early next year by the time we end up moving, and I don't have to be in a rush to buy a TV if I should hold out for new tech.

any thoughts ?

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
if you decide to go oled, especially at the 83” price point, buy with John Lewis. They offer an accidental damage policy which specifically includes burn in coverage.

It was £140 with my 77” and will likely pay for itself within the 5 years.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Men have been trying to convince women about what actually constitutes 12" since the dawn of time.

97"-85" = ?

NASAspacemanWho

Hey Dan. Good on you mate. Its been a while since iv been on the forum and I think the last thread we were on was the kef in walls.
So did you go detached this time 😁
Are you taking the kefs with you or will you be starting over again.

I'm getting the keys back in a few months to my house and planning is starting now. Original plan to go projector and screen has kinda been scraped as we now planning a full kitchen extension and also the entire roof will need redoing. Getting quotes 20k plus just for the damn roof.

I'm had my eye on the Sony 85 xr85z9ju. That's around 6k. And then I came across the lg c1 oled 83" 2021 models about 4k. So. The 2k saved can go towards the sub budget....
It won't be the same as the 130ish screen and projector screen I was originally planning. But if I do that now. I'll end up comprising on everything so rather wire up for projector screen and projector and spend the money on the TV.
Not sure what the difference between 85 and 83 will be.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I'd never spend £5k on a TV at launch.

I did it with the CX, luckily I got to return it for a full refund after 6-8 months. But looking at its price tag a year afterwards would have been gut wrenching.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I don't doubt the 97" will hold its price for a good while but will command a premium at first release.

Larger than 65" TVs don't usually see the same kind of discounting as 65" and under, but even still, I'd be holding off for a while and see how it goes.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I don't doubt the 97" will hold its price for a good while but will command a premium at first release.

Larger than 65" TVs don't usually see the same kind of discounting as 65" and under, but even still, I'd be holding off for a while and see how it goes.

The 77 inch prices say otherwise. They were 5k-6k less than 24 months ago!

TVs generally never hold value (like most things tech) tbh unless we buy in April/may

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Yeah, that was a couple of years ago to be fair. 75"+ TVs are getting more common now so retailers will have more stock.

The 48" OLED at launch saw very little discount as it had no competition in its first year, so I'd bet on the 97" being similar.
Once other manufacturers get a hold of the panel and if it has enough sales, then discounting will start.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yeah, that was a couple of years ago to be fair. 75"+ TVs are getting more common now so retailers will have more stock.

The 48" OLED at launch saw very little discount as it had no competition in its first year, so I'd bet on the 97" being similar.
Once other manufacturers get a hold of the panel and if it has enough sales, then discounting will start.

I think it’s value will plummet quickly purely from a resale value based on the fact that transporting it will be a nightmare alongside the group of buyers who can afford to buy one will be very small.

I know I’d be nervous paying 10k plus for a second hand 97 inch oled and being responsible for transporting it and setting it up without a warranty 🥵

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Hey Dan. Good on you mate. Its been a while since iv been on the forum and I think the last thread we were on was the kef in walls.
So did you go detached this time 😁
Are you taking the kefs with you or will you be starting over again.

I'm getting the keys back in a few months to my house and planning is starting now. Original plan to go projector and screen has kinda been scraped as we now planning a full kitchen extension and also the entire roof will need redoing. Getting quotes 20k plus just for the damn roof.

I'm had my eye on the Sony 85 xr85z9ju. That's around 6k. And then I came across the lg c1 oled 83" 2021 models about 4k. So. The 2k saved can go towards the sub budget....
It won't be the same as the 130ish screen and projector screen I was originally planning. But if I do that now. I'll end up comprising on everything so rather wire up for projector screen and projector and spend the money on the TV.
Not sure what the difference between 85 and 83 will be.

We actually declined the offer in the end, first it was offer inc white goods - sure, but then offer inc home cinema.. and well had a good reflect on it then and decided to stay. For the best I think!

Good luck with what you decide to go for, every night our house was on the market and we watched something on the big screen I had a tinge of regret that I pushed deep down..

I got my 600DF+ BK monolith a while back, but now it doesn't go on - i'm cool with that though, still sounds great without it.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom