£5k-£6K AV Receiver Recommendations

550Driver

I run a dedicated home cinema and been lucky to have it for the last 20 years. Probably have another 5 years left before i downsize and rethink my home cinema strategy

Keen to make the most of the 5 years and get some upgrades in now. Earlier in the year I upgraded to a Sony VW790ES project and have been very pleased with it.

Now thinking about a receiver upgrade. I currently run an Arcam AVR550 in a 7.2 set up, driving KEF TDM23F/C and KEF TDM34DS Dipoles and a pair of KEF TDM45B subwoofers.

The Arcam isn't a disappointment, but my room does suffer from muddy dialogue and I would prefer more slam/speed in the audio. Dirac seems well set up, but I suspect I am suffering from two subwoofers not being properly bass managed/time-aligned. I have no interest in ceiling speakers. I have other systems for 2 channel, so happy to dedicate to movies.

Wondering if an upgrade to a JBL Synthesis SDR-35 would yield benefits particularly in the areas I mention. Any other receivers people can recommend?

The KEFs are in good working order and seem like new - is there a possibility they are the limiting factor? Do I need to mindful of any issues using a receiver with 4 ohm speakers like the KEFs?

I have Genelecs in my office 2 channel and love them. If I blew the budget, are we at place yet where active Genelecs driven by ethernet from an appropriate processor are a better option?

Keen to hear ideas, on the above. I guess I'd really like to hear "go buy the JBL SDR-35, it will be amazing and worth every penny and sort out your issues", but if that isn't the case then would really like the experts here to tell me!

Thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom