1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£55 Ikea AV Rack - 5 Star review!!!

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by the_pauley, Jun 27, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    A recent test match in a Home Cinema mag gave this AV rack 5 out of 5 stars. Absolutely raved about it. It beat a couple of glass and chrome AV dedicated racks costing £300+. I was quite taken with it as it is nice and low compared to most AV racks.

Their test stated it will safely support a 100kg load (higher than Ikea's stated 70kg).

They also said that for best acoustic isolation use the top or base thicker shelves to support the more sensitive equipment rather than the thinner adjustable shelves. The adjutable shelves can be put in the centre section too.

At 50cm deep it can easily accommodate my huge Pioneer AX5Ai-S AV amplifier with no overhang at front or back. With the Sagem 56" DLP screen on top, I can fit the AV amp in one side, my DVD player and recorder in the other side and my centre speaker and Freeview box in the middle.

Sorted! :smashin:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Ikea Lack table has been a favourite for many years with Linn, myself and many others. The 'light' paper structure works well, sort of poor mans Torlyte.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    This one has been a favourite here for a while. I used mine for ages before a toddler forced a move to a cabinet with doorshttp://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=7&productId=11148&langId=-20&parentCats=10104*10174
    ...also from IKEA.

A couple of Oplli tips...
    Drill extra shelf support holes before you assemble it so you can make more room under/over the adjustable shelves. A normal AV amp is too tall to go under the predrilled points. It's a 2 min job when unassembled but a PIG to do properly once it's up.
    Check the length of your interconnects vs. the position of the connectors on your equipment before you load it up. I found I had to put my DVD and amp in certain slots so that the digital co-ax lead would reach from socket to socket.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  6. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My only issue with the ikea stuff is the problem with location for the centre speaker!

CK

8. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    By the way ian.webb your setup looks great mate - very clinical - just u need to reach round the back and tuck some of them cables under the back of the stand itself!!!

CK

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    :smashin:
    :censored: that, trust me that is very very tidy, well compared to my set up :smashin:

On the Ikea stuff, superb value for money, thats the problem though, how many times have we walked in there bought a bag of tea lights some holders the odd kitchen acessory, a picture or two, an uplighter and a plant, got to the checkout and been stung for a ton :rolleyes:

10. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only problem with the oppli i have found that because is so low, i.e. height of about 40cm youi are limited to the types and number of AV boxes you can put in it due to ventilation requirements. This is more important with amps and set top boxes which can generate a lot of heat, I have a sky box on the bottom shelf and an av amp on the first shelf and find that the inside of the oppli becomes very warm, was considering installing a mini fan to be honest!

11. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    A while back there was a chap who'd stacked 2 Opllis one on top of the other - removing the top from the lower one and bolting it to the base of the one above IIRC. That increased the storage and lifted the TV up to about 1 metre I'd guess.
    Looked smart and wasn't beyond my DIY capabilities but I needed doors and I couldn't see a way to do that with an Oppli.

12. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ColdKilla

I'm just waiting for a better quality HMDI cable and then all the cables will be totally invisible. I actually have some cable tidies attached to the back of the unit.

Ian

13. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nice one - as was mentioned it aint half bad in the grand scheme of things!

The double oppli approach does sound very good to me - I may well consider this, plenty of space for AV Receiver and Centre Speaker then as well as all the other bits and bobs!

CK

14. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to really like my oppli (since shifted to another forum member).

Move to new flat, new decor, SWMBO wants nothing visible - so IKEA to the rescue again with this IKEA PS.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220565&highlight=IKEA+PS

I was a bit worried at first, but if you don't mind setting two pieces of kit one on top of the other, there's no shortage of room. There might even be more room than in the Oppli. The top is as solid as a rock for the centre. The doors lock, and if, like me, you assemble it without the back, there's very easy access to all the stuff. Keene IR extender to the rescue. Everything (except the cables for the tv - soon to be hidden) super duper.

15. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
  16. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    So what did you do to it? Cut it?

[​IMG]

18. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but, there are very few of them.

The top becomes the the top of the cabinet, the right hand top is cut for the right hand cabinet leg and the right bottom is turned round and cut which becomes the left hand cabinet leg. The left hand side of the bookcase becomes the shelf without modification.

To add a bit more strength to the unit I used ones of the centre shelfs under the cabinet shelf and then used one of the bookcase dividers and the center are for the cabinet. And thats it.

The used the veneer of each end of the bottom peice and used it at the bottom of each let. One more thing, I bought a couple of angle brackets to support the bottom shelf rather than drill through each let.

I have a few more pictures if your interrested.

19. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sorry to ressurect a dead (?) post but what are the centre shelf dimsensions? Or for that matter any shelf dimensions! i'm trying to work out if i could get an AE Aegis Centre in there [plus the rest of my kit. I would rather spend £55 as opposed to £155, even if it is quite low!
    ooo do you reckon it would hold a 28" CRT ok, until i can afford a LCD/Plasma?!
    Thanks.

20. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to have a Tannoy Eyris centre in mine. That's a pretty big speaker. Can't imagine the Aegis is bigger, but you could look it up. I'm too busy!

21. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have tried to look it up but the Ikea website only gives overall dimensions and not internal shelf dimensions!

22. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Picked up two of these the other week and did a minor modification. Drilled eight holes through the bottom of one (just drilling ones that were half-in straight through, and didn't put the top on the other. The locking screws went in perfectly so it fits like it was made to be this way.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is in the lounge temporarily, as everything is out of the room preparing the walls to be repainted. (had all the old paper stripped down etc)

I'll get the dimensions for you in a minute.

23. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The shelves are all 46cm deep (18") and 44.5cm wide. (17.5")

Without the "dividers" put in, they're 25.5cm high. (10")

With the dividing shelf at the highest point you get 15.5cm (~6.25") below and 8.5cm above. (just under 3.5")

With the divider on the middle point you get 12.5cm (5") below and 11.5cm (4.5") above.

When the dividing shelf is on the lower position you get 9.5cm (3.75") below and 15cm (~6") up top.

Hope that helped. :)

Edit: Oh, and the unit is 67cm high (~26.5") on the included casters, which is the perfect height for my room. :D

24. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah thats brilliant ta!!
    My 'local' ikea isa 45 minute drive away so a bit too far to go with a tape measure!!
    ta muchly!

25. Matt Higgins

Matt Higgins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whether anyone will be interested, but I've got one of these Ikea units for sale - we've just moved house and it doesn't fit in with my beloved's plan for the room.

It's in good condition (and of course is built!), but would need collecting from Scholes, North Leeds.

Anyone interested at £40? PM me if you are, but be patient as BT are still messing my broadband up!!!

Cheers, Matt

26. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy.

If you have any items for sale can you please post them in the classifieds section of the forums, Cheers.

27. Matt Higgins

Matt Higgins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there - yes, sorry, will do.

28. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    These look great and have prices to match, Only problem for me is that I don't have a local ikea store and they don't have an on-line store.

Anyone seen anything similar?

29. Matt Higgins

Matt Higgins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DM - have PM'd you.......

30. m0nkeymafia

m0nkeymafia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if the Lack table will support a 28" CRT on top and DVD and AV receiver on the shelf? The shelf doesn't look that thick.