1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£500ish AMP for AV and Stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MR2Harvey, Nov 7, 2003.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right I'm looking for a good AMP for both Surround sound and Stereo (CD music). What suggestions do you have?

I am looking to get the Acoustic Energy EVO 3a speakers for the good quality front speakers for stereo music. I understand they are rather good for surround sound too.

I'd get cheaper speakers and amp (certainly smaller speakers) if all I wanted was surround sound, can I get decent stereo performance for a £500 surround amp?

Cheers

Harvey

2. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    £500 for a stereo Amp.
    To be honest I'm not well up on this section of the market but the best amp I have heard about, and heard no bad about is the Marantz PM7200.
    With a Class A mode, and 95W PC it's one of the best around, but theres £170 still to spare probably £200 if you get it cheaper, which could be spent on a better amp i suspect.(I don't fully know as i said) but i'm sure other people will fill that gap...

3. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What I really want is a good quality AV surround amp which is also very good at stereo. I would like to pay £500ish.

Any suggestions

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's too easy for me to say that there is no such thing - I'm a big believer in horses for courses.

Having got that out of the way and accepting the compromise, HK & NAD are probably your best bets. The big boys of the home cinema world (Yamaha, Pioneer et al) lag behind. alternatively a 2nd hand / ex demo Arcam AVR200 might do the job.

5. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or maybe you can spend £300 on a budget receiver and the balance you can get a decent stereo amp for £200 (like nad, marantz etc)
    just an idea

6. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yea but the problem with that is if you wanted to listen to stereo you would have to change the front speaker cables over....I have an OK stereo amp A&R A60+ bit old now but good sounding, want a good amp for both though if I'm not asking too much!?

Harvey

7. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no you dont need to switch it over.. all you need is a good receiver with pre-outs :) that way you can use it as a pre-amp and hook the front speakers to the stereo amp

8. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the Pioneer 1011 from LEconcepts for just over 500 and I am exceptionally pleased with it. I use it for CD playback in Stereo and it sounds superb. It also supports THX, DTS and all the variations for DVD playback.

I have accompanied it with Mission speakers and they compliment each other reaaly well.

Chuffed with it all.

9. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I picked up a denon 3802 from the classifeds here for £300, and it's not at all bad in stereo. The plus point is that I can hook up the pre outs to a stereo amp and use that to drive my front speakers instead. This is a very long term plan, and while I do have the space for another amp, my room atm doesn't justify having better speakers, and I have neither the money nor the room for a pair of decent floorstanders.

This amp certainly has a lot more meat than my other sony amp and it decodes far far better. Even with my poopy centre and surrounds the 5 channel surround sounds surprisingly good (oh for the space to put decent speakers up).

10. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check NAD T752 its sells around 600 but you will find it at discounted price. replacement is imminent

11. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's a new T752 here for £399: http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/offers/dem/dem_hc.html

Best sub-£500 receiver I've heard for stereo use.

MuFu.

12. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone got the NAD T752 on here? I want the best stereo sound primarily but still as good a surround sounds of possible considering the £500 or so I have to spend.

Harvey

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Harvey
    I have the Nad t752 which ive had about 9 months and yes it does sound good in stereo and av,for 500 quid i doubt you will find a better compromise.Will be upgrading mine in the not too distant future but can say ive never been dissapointed with the amps performance.
    PS most other av amps ive heard around the price of the nad sound very harsh in comparison when playing music in stereo.
    Cheers Gonzo.

14. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Gonzo,

I have just bought one :clap: £399 from Audio T, good price don't you think!:smashin:

Harvey

15. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the T762, same DSP as the T752 but with more AMP power and some other extra features. I can say that in stereo it sounds very Good

16. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres an idea.....buy the Marantz PM7200-1 of the very best mid price stereo amps ever!I own 1 and it sounds better than my past 2xRotel RB-03/cambridge pre combo(180wpc)It is availible for £240 in black on WWW.QED-UK.COM and then get a marantz sr5300 from richers for £250 also in black and u'll have a nice looking and great sounding amplification.The PM7200 has AV processor inputs and outputs and was designed to be linked through the SR5300.If thats too complicated(and im sure the pre amp section in the pm7200 is far superioir than the SR5300) then just buy 2 lots of speaker cable with decent bana plugs,1 set per amp which is what im doing at the minute.A very easy way to swap amps.

zoolander:D

17. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I may be wrong you will have to check but the processor in/out on the PM7200 is a link between the pre-amp and the power amp stage, if you plugged it in there you would basically be turning the unit into a power amp and have no input switching capability, you could do the standard 12 o’clock on the volume dial but the remotes run the same code for volume so you would change the volume on the 7200 when you alter the 5300, so you would have tape up the eye on the 7200.

I think the above is correct I am trying to recall the conversation I had with Marantz when I had the same idea a while back

How about waiting for the SR7400 to come out, should be soon and judging by my current amp will sound pretty good in stereo (for an AV amp if you must point that bit out).

18. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for all the help on this one, I have actaully bought the NAD T752 for £399 which I am hoping will fit the bill. I needed component switching for the plasma, which this has. Stereo is supposed to be as good as you can get for a surround amp and I got a very good discount, hopefully I won't regret it!

Cheers

Harvey

19. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yea remembered you had already bought an amp after submitting the post, more of a correction on the 7200 for anyone else reading and looking for ideas, let us know what you think of the NAD when you have had a good listen.

20. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it often happens, threads get bigger and more interesting and in a way just because I have got my amp I'm sure there are others who want a decent stereo surround amp for £500 that appreciate others experience.

Harvey

21. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How powerful is the NAD T752? powerful enough? i've seen differing reports on it's output.

22. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Vipen
    It has been tested in a lab by one of the mags but cant remember which one but it output 92 watts all 5 channels driven(rated at 80 watts by nad) its output in stereo is around 100 watts per channel.At the moment it is driving my 5 m&k speakers rated at 4 ohms and below and is doing a great job no problems at all even when ran at high volumes and sounds very good no harshness at all.
    Cheers Gonzo.

23. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi all, i ordered a NAD T752 on friday from t-audio too!! in the end i thought i have to get something. i just hope they have a returns policy should it not be quite how i expected.

hopefully it will run my trusty Mission 753s better. the new problem now will be what to do next?

1. Grab a centre, surrounds & sub which will merge nicely with the 753s (fair cost i think)

2. Sell the 753s and get an AV speaker package capable of good hifi quality music.

hmmm, in the end the costs are going to be similar....

24. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi,
    i want to see if i can get a NAD T752 too!
    Did you buy them mail order from audio t?
    Was it as good as you expected?

25. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    they had sold out at their enfield branch and was re-directed to the oxford shop.

they don't deliver NAD but as it was an end of line it's ok for mail order.

best to give them a call, they search their database.

i haven't received it yet, waiting with anticipation as a friend has all his AV stuff round mine to look after (since a year). he wants to take it away just last week but i managed to fob him off until i hook it up with the NAD. then i'll know what's what and how to progress from there.

hmmm, maybe a day off work soon....

26. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hmmm.........all day long!!!

27. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

I got mine from the Cheltenham branch after phoning the Enfield branch. I have mine but have not got my speakers yet and am still decorating. Thought it was too good an offer to miss. Will let you know what i think as soon as I hear it!

Harvey

28. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok thanks - if they still have one then i'll try and blag mail order or if not tell them that i can get it from Bristol!

29. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    399? Damn! I only bought mine in June and it cost me 600 quid....

I love the sound of the NAD for movies, but for music, stereo and EARS mode it is fantastic!

I've got mine coupled with very wife-friendly Celestion AVP305 speakers and me and the missues are happy all round.

Anyway, my unit failed a few months ago in the UK summer heatwave and I sent it back to NAD for repair. It turns out that the thermal protection kicked in, but a bug in the software prevented it from coming out of that mode. Anyway, I asked for the latest firmware (1.20 A7. It was 1.19 A7 previously) and the NAD engineer told me that he did all the factory modifications that have been implemented since. The upshot of the firmware upgrade is that I can now rename my inputs to my choice.

So now my PC, Xbox, Dreamcast, PSOne and N64 all have their own inputs and are displayed on the amps display. Much better than Video 5, Video 6 etc.

Gunrock

30. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so is all ok now?