1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£5000 system

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davrid, Jun 25, 2005.

1. davrid

davrid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have circa £5000 to spend on dvd, amp and speakers. Any suggestions? I watch a lot of films but cd music (esp Elvis!) is even more important.

Would it be better to take the plunge now or wait a couple of months until the new ranges from Sony, Marantz and Pioneer have been launched?

Rightly, or wrongly, I would like the amp/receiver and the DVD player to match.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    You'll get lots of different answers on this one but you could do worse than an Arcam DVD player (I've got a DV79 @ £1000) and an Arcam AVR300 Amp/Receiver @ £1300 especially if music is important to you. Leaves lots left to spend on speakers.

They also match each other perfectly.

HTH

John

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I agree with the Arcam recommendation. if you are going to use the DVD player to play your CD's you will be hard pressed to beat the Arcam players. if you don't want/need HDMI/DVI digital video connections to your display then try and track down the old (but very good) DV27a either second hand or perhaps exdemo. These normally sell for around £1k and will be better than the DV79 for CD replay.
    If the budget is able to stretch then you may also want to consider the new Arcam AVP700 processor with the matching DiVA multichannel amp (P1000 IIRC). I think they retail at about £1500 each and will outperform the AVR300 for both movies & music.
    This then only leaves you around £1k for speakers and subwoofer. Personally I have always like the Arcam and B&W combination, so if you can get say a set of B&W DM-600s3 series speakers you will have an excellent setup, but almost certainly over budget without even looking at a sub - unless you get lucky with a second hand bargain.
    Also keep an eye out for second hand Velodyne or SVS subs that are all well regarded on the forum. Basically you want to get the best sub you can as this can make or break a system IMO. Have a look in the sub forum for loads of advice on what is good, and what to avoid!

Mark.

4. davrid

davrid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks you for the responses so far. I really need the HDMI connection on the DVD as I plan to purchase one of the new Pioneer plasmas to be launched later this year, also, I want to avoid the costly mistake of last year when I purchased a Sony KDL-L32MRX1 for several thousand pounds only to subsequently learn of the SKY HD service requirements - so some future proofing would be useful. If I wasn't looking for HDMI, I had been advised to look at a Cary Audio Design sytem comprising DVD 6 (£1100) Cinema 7 power amp (£1300) and Cinema 6 processor (£1300),unfortunately, I had never heard of them and apparently only one or two UK retailers stock them. I was really hoping Cyrus would have updated it's processor and DVD but looks unlikely - I used to use a cyrus cd and amp/pSX-R years ago and really liked the sound, I found it far more dynamic than Arcam amps, but seems that Arcam is a good starting point on the home cinema front...

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Second hand Meridian G91 plus some Meridian DSP speakers. It may slightly break the budget slightly but Meridian have a proven track record of upgradability when things change. Gives you a very usable surround sound setup, DVD-A, HDMI output, scaling for external sources, audio and video switching and FM-RDS/DAB tuner. There is a great Elvis DVD-A disc that sounds just fabulous on Meridian kit.

-Ian

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:
    I can still remeber a Meridian demo at the AV show many years ago. They had Starwars playing and it was the most impressive demo of home cinema I have seen. The set up was very expensive and full of class. It is one demo that has stuck in my mind for many years :D Amazing :clap: :clap: :clap: