£5000 is that all Sainsburys can afford?

stealther

My deepest heartfelt sympathy to the little girl and her family she has been robbed of her innocence.:(

The rape of a child takes place on there premises and they are offering a £5000 reward. It’s a bit of an insult really.:(

Now its no secret that I am not Sainsbury’s biggest fan but I think this is poor. Based on my experience of working in 3 stores around the country and what I am told by my fiancée of our local store. I am going to assume that the foyer cameras were fake or not working :rolleyes:. It always gets my back up that they don’t care enough about there staff to adequately protect them. So now my fears of something horrible happening to my fiancée who stands alone at the front of our local store in the customer service desk have been intensified!:mad:

Of course I could be completely wrong and Sainsbury’s cameras may have caught the fiend coming out of the toilets and have been able to provide the Police with a valuable lead but the cynic inside me says no.:rolleyes:

The security contractor Sainsbury’s uses decided to send a man who had arrived in the country 6 days ago and had no English to my fiancées store at the weekend. This is the person she is supposed to call when someone becomes aggressive or violent.:eek:

My fiancée has 11 year old and 9 year old sisters and we are planning on taking them out for the day to London in the near future. This has me worried sick Iam not going to be able to let them out of my sight for a second! Look out London I am coming armed to the teeth.

violent-smiley-008.gif

Uridium

Distinguished Member
stealther said:
My fiancée has 11 year old and 9 year old sisters and we are planning on taking them out for the day to London in the near future. This has me worried sick Iam not going to be able to let them out of my sight for a second! Look out London I am coming armed to the teeth.

All fair points you've raised and couldn't agree more but...going to London from Nottingham and your worried for your safety.

Have had a fair few nights out in Nottingham myself and it must be one of the most violent places in the UK I've found!

take them to Glasgow for the day, the buildings are stunning, hand made and centuries old. The Glaswegians have always been known for there friendliness

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
ha ha, yea a nottingham folk scared of being in london! bloody hell, you guys have it worse than london sometimes.

security ameras in stores like sainsburys have to be real, if they dont work then the store is not allowed to open an their insurance would be invalid.

tho wether the stores cctv is any good is another matter entirely :rolleyes:

most of the machines are old, dont work properly and record in time-lapse which makes it useless if someone runs away and normally you cant make out enough detail on a person to see if they are male or female.

when i watch CSI,enemy of the state or the bill i do have a good chuckle at thier cctv footage and what they can do with it :rotfl:

Bat-man

uridium said:
All fair points you've raised and couldn't agree more but...going to London from Nottingham and your worried for your safety.

Have had a fair few nights out in Nottingham myself and it must be one of the most violent places in the UK I've found!

It is and that's official.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
The rape of a child takes place on there premises and they are offering a £5000 reward.
Oh for God's sake, it isn't exactly Sainsbury's job to bankroll vigilantes, is it?! Cut them some slack. If someone you've never met commits a murder in your front garden at 2am, does that mean you ought to offer a reward of hundreds of thousands of pounds for the capture of the killer just because it happened "on your premises"? Don't be stupid.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Purely on the reward subject.

I thought the £5,000 was a little crap coming from one of the top 5 retailers in the world. £100,000 would make people take notice, act upon & probably help Sainsbury lift their name a little seeing as it's no doubt be reduced following this awful assault...

stealther

uridium said:

Its more the worry about being responsible for those two girls for the day not going to London. Her sisters live in a rural area of west Sussex and have never been to London so are desperately looking forward to going. I think this case proves that your children are not safe no matter where they go.

In nearly two years of living here I've never seen any violence on the streets. No one here was bothered about one lot of gang members wanting to kill another lot until an innocent life was taken:(

PS I live round the corner from where the Policewoman was shot.

stealther

NicolasB said:
Oh for God's sake, it isn't exactly Sainsbury's job to bankroll vigilantes, is it?! Cut them some slack. If someone you've never met commits a murder in your front garden at 2am, does that mean you ought to offer a reward of hundreds of thousands of pounds for the capture of the killer just because it happened "on your premises"? Don't be stupid.

No because I have not got £100,000 so that is a stupid analogy.

I would do all that I can.

Is this all sainsburys can do? could have done?

Beobloke

NicolasB said:

Well said, i couldn't agree more.

The fact that Sainsbury's have offered a reward its to their credit - but i fail to see how they shoud somehow be held responsible for the actions of this sick pervert.

unique

this is a one off incident, it's not sainsburys fault, they have no obligation to ensure cameras are working or even fitted, and they don't even have to offer a reward

regardless of the amount of the reward, whether its £5k or £100k, if someone is going to shop/grass, then they will do it. do you really think someone will refuse £5k to point the finger at the culprit cuz they think they should get more?

most of the concerns you've raised seem to the be typical knee jerk reactions from worried staff. the odds must be less than a million to one for a similar event happening again

saying that though, all employers have a duty of care to staff and take all reasonable steps to ensure staff security. if you are concerned about your welfare and security you should bring it up with your line manager and/or union representative

shahedz

Distinguished Member
NicolasB said:

well said.just because they are a high profile company doesnt mean its thier responsibilty that this sickeing act happened on thier premises, i think £5000 is more than decent of them

stealther

Well I think £5000 is an insult. I am not going to change my mind on this point.

The responsibility for the crime of course comes down to the perpetrator. I just wanted to point out that companies could do much more to protect its staff and customers than they do and I couldn’t resist a chance to have a pop at Sainsbury’s. Like I said in my first post I could be entirely wrong about them not having cameras.

My other half is handing her notice in today for other reasons which have nothing to do with this thread. So after she has left and I never have to set foot in a Sainsbury’s store again perhaps I can begin to forget my resentment towards them.

Maybe one day I will feel ready to share my experiance with Sainsburys and people will understand why I resent them so much.

Leaving all this aside £5000 is not enough. The average Sainsburys store rakes in a £800,000 - £1,000,000 a week through its tills. If it was my company I would spare no expense in helping to track the person down.

BobBob21

Have to agree that given they had no responsibilities at all for what happened then the offer of any reward is fair play to them. I think that £5k is about the right amount to offer. If they were to offer £5m then you would get everyone pointing the figure at everyone they know that looks anything like the photofit just to try and "win" the money.

Also the analogy of the "if it happened in your garden" I think was a perfectly fine one. Personally I would feel terrible that it had happened on my property but would be more likely to look to move than to offer a reward.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
It would have been better if Sainsburys had offered nothing at all...who cares about the money...if someone has information but won't give it unless they receive money then they are scum too...

ush flynn

uridium said:

are you serious? i live in london , went to notts for a weekend and every little fool who thought they were tough and tried to start a fight would back down almost immediatly as soon as they got my attention. Absolutely all mouth and no trousers. Im ashamed to admit i even got in a fight there, twas the easiest of my entire life and i was completely sozzled and wasnt sure which of the visions of him to hit. London on the other hand. In one week i saw a man try to push people onto the tracks in the tube station, a man with a gun down the back of his trousers (promptly taken down by police) a few kids with knives hanging around in streets and a few pools of blood outside local bars and clubs on my way to work

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
ush flynn said:
are you serious? i live in london , went to notts for a weekend and every little fool who thought they were tough and tried to start a fight would back down almost immediatly as soon as they got my attention. Absolutely all mouth and no trousers. Im ashamed to admit i even got in a fight there, twas the easiest of my entire life and i was completely sozzled and wasnt sure which of the visions of him to hit. London on the other hand. In one week i saw a man try to push people onto the tracks in the tube station, a man with a gun down the back of his trousers (promptly taken down by police) a few kids with knives hanging around in streets and a few pools of blood outside local bars and clubs on my way to work

lol, so true......thing is, there are just tooooooo many people in london for the police to catch up with all the crime.......hence other towns tend to take the title of 'most violent' or 'highest mugging statistics'........people in London just know the police wont have time to deal with it so they dont bother unless their is insurance companies involved, then you need the crime number...but thats as far as you take it with the police most times....

i work in Stonebridge Park, not far from Wembley and the Stadium......and the estate across the road is one of the most notorious as far as the police are concerned......there used to be another the other side of Wembley as well, but that got knocked down when Asda said they would pay a shed load towards rehousing the folk living there.......but when Tescos i think it was said they wanted to knock down half of Stonebridge, the locals decided to let Tescos know this wasnt a good idea.......the nearest Tescos (the first 24hr one up at Brent Cross/Staples Corner area) had all its glass windows smashed one night and a message saying something rather violent in nature towards them trying to take their homes away.....so the estate still stands a number of years later.....heh

oh, and untill the police started occupying the tube in force cuz of the terrorist attacks you would have on average, on a 4 station stretch thru this part of London, 30 reported thefts (pickpocket style) around 10 muggings with no violence happening, 6 with minor violence, 2 stabbings and more randomly (ie not every week)a couple of shootings (usually with a wounding, once in a while with a death)....this is per week.....and this is just the reported stuff......on the trains/station platforms between Willesden Junction and Wembley Central mainly......however since the police have had around 6 officers on a train, plus a couple at nearly every station, this crime level has mostly dropped off on the trains/platforms, still some pickpocketing going on, but the rest has been relegated to the backalleys of the local areas..........oh, altho amusingly, it appears the pickpockets are the most fearless.....one got away with half the kit on a policemans belt one day during rush hour :D

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't expect Sainsburys to have to stump up any reward money either, so agree that the £5K is a good enough gesture. The only reason that has been overshadowed is because of the publicity seeking of a national newspaper who have offered a reward of 5 times that - probably so they can claim it was because of them that the pervert was caught.

gooner#14

Banned
uridium said:

and which part of nottingham is violent i go down town nearley every week and have never had any trouble! walked through the dodgy parts bullwell.radford,gyson green never had ne trouble

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom