£500 to spend on wedding present

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I need your help on this one.

Sod the poxy Debenhams wedding list with the ****ty pots and pans. A few of us have chipped in and have got approx. £500 to spend on HC gear.
We definately need an Amp, looking at about £300?. The rest will be spent on 2 main fronts and possibly, if we can stretch it, a centre speaker too.

Now my m8 isn't into his HC bigtime yet so £500 should be more than enough to get him started.

Suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, we're off shopping this weekend so get your answers in quickly :)

Cheers.

Could I marry you instead?

:cool:

I think you have a few options:

1) Go for an all in one DVD/AMP/Speaker set like the Sonys, JVC etc they are about £500 and at normally 50watts should offer a beginner a good time. (home cinema choice mag Digital Superstore ad Panasonic SC-HT70 £489. AMP, speakers, DVD, sub, Radio 30watts and 90 watts sub)

or EDC ad Pioneer DV77/88 £499.99 as above but Pioneer..

2) A Yamaha AMP and Tannoy MX3s would be good

3) Go to richer Sound (or the www site) they have a lot of good stuff and should help on the budget..

4) Get This months Home Cinema Choice Mag and search the ads for some thing in the price range then search the net for it and see if you can get a better price..

Lucky person he will be very happy with what ever you get - i would be..

Dont forget to make sure the DVD player part is region free (so you can import from the net, cheaper and new movies quicker)

Comments any one else?????

Lets us know what you go for...

Cheers for the input.
I was thinking of an all-in-one set but I think he really wants separates, which I think is a better solution, so he can upgrade at a later date.

He's going to use his Playstation 2 for DVD playback. Not ideal I know but should be adequate for now. This allows us to spend all the dosh on an amp and speakers.

We'll be visiting Rayleigh Hi-Fi, Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds with a few HC mags under our arms :)

I'll post back when we've got the goods so you can all laugh at our feeble atempt to get good gear. :p

I'd have a look at the marantz SR4200, apparently excellent for both music and movies, casn be had for £280-£300.

As for the speakers, www.qed-uk.com have the silverado 5-pack (fronts, rears + centre) for 109 quid. looks very smart, but i have no idea of the quality of sound. They also have the stargate sub + 5 sats packs for 109 quid as well.

The other £100 or so can be spent on DVD's, a cheapo DVD player or Drinks all round ;) .

Cheers

Originally posted by VINNY:
<STRONG>or Drinks all round ;)</STRONG>
mmmmm, the man has a cunnning plan :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom