£500 speaker+amp+extras budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JaredCE, Mar 24, 2006.

1. JaredCE

JaredCE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been thinking of getting some nice speakers for my PC. Ive set aside a £500 budget but would idealy like to spend a little less. I'm new to this too.

My thoughts are to go with good names/brands as i like to take care of my equipment and i can forsee myself using whatever i buy now for a good few years, with speaker equipment i could see it being 10 years if i keep it well.

I enjoy gaming and my music tastes are quite varied, from Fatboy Slim to the darker Sven Vath right up to Slayer, Guns & Roses etc etc. But i also like watching movies and perhaps one day when i get a decent job i'd quite like to upgrade to a 5.1 system but for now 2 is good enough.

Looking through town today one shop offered me £180 for B&W DM600's and £270ish for an Rotel RA-02 (is that right, sorry new to this). Now browsing on here most of you recomend using rotel and B&W together. Seven Oaks were offering £180 Wharfdale 9i (i think, i might have that wrong i think it's 9i). I'm thinking of going for a test in the next few days perhaps of both systems. My original plan was to go for B&W 601's but i don't know if i can budget them now and the 600's are looking rather tempting. I was also suggested Quad speakers at seven oaks though i don't remember the model names now.

Is what ive been offered today good choices? Can anyone recomend anything else? should i be looking at second hand stuff, especially if i can save on an amp i could then go for 601's perhaps or another brand if you think it's better.

Cheers

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Both amps and speakers should be ok to buy 2nd hand - and a dealer might offer you a limited warranty. However, if you buy privately in most cases you will not be able to audition before you buy, and therefore might end up with somehting that doesn't suit your tastes.

Best to avoid Quad speakers if you are likely to have them anywhere near a CRT TV/monitor - they are not magnetically shielded.

The list is long with regards suggestions:

Amps: NAD, Rotel, Arcam etc.
    Speakers: Monitor Audio, Tannoy, KEF, Acoustic Energy etc. (Sorry if I've missed anyone's particular favourite!)

One further thing to think about (seeing as though you foresee moving to 5.1 one day) is to get an amp that allows it's pre and power sections to be split (electronically, not physically). Then you will be able to use the power amp part of the amp to drive your front speakers for music, and use a processor for the rest of the channels when watching DVDs. There's plenty of advice on here about how to go about that. Might not be an issue for you, but thought I better mention it.

3. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    What soundcard have you got? A lot of the creative gaming style ones are not the most musical of beasties. I've heard very good things about M Audio cards.

What will you mostly be playing through it? MP3? DVD? CD? Games? rough percentage of each.

Have a look at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640 amp, from richersounds, really good value for money, recieved really good reviews.

Superfi are doing the Tannoy Sensys DC1 for a really good price and I think it would suit the music you like, depends if you like the styling, I do.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-1.cfm/Product_ID/2562
    Magnetically shielded as far as I know.

4. JaredCE

JaredCE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i do have an creative audigy 2 ZS :rolleyes:

the speakers and amp you recomnd really are on the top level of budget, £250 for speakers and £250 for amp. i say £500 but i guess i was hoping for maybe the £400ish mark, maybe i'm aiming too low.

MP3 prolly 50%, 25%Game, 24% DVD and 1% CD

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    You got what you asked for mate :)
    The answers you were given were working on the £500 you mentioned.
    If you can run to £500, then do it, as it will be better than £400.
    It's always best to spend as much as you can, without breaking your neck, obviously :smashin:
    You don't want to be thinking "if only......", do you ?

6. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    See as much as I love hifi equipment, for what you're describing I can't help feeling you'd get much more enjoyment out of a top of the range 5.1 PC speaker package, like the Logitech Z-5500 or Creative GigaWorks ProGamer G500.

Either of which would give you a stunning gaming experience, good surround sound with movies and good sound with music, without exposing the flaws of a lot of MP3's like a good hifi system will.

Leave you £300 of your budget. Of which you could spend £80 on some lovely Grado headphones, that will give you stunning music performance.

Just a suggestion.

7. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Quite! £500 is far too much to spend on playing back MP3s!