1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£500 Hi-Fi Budget- Advice/Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Slapnut, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Slapnut

Slapnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All- I have a budget of £500 to spend on a new hi-fi setup, but im unsure of what to go for. I have seen the Technics SCDV290 in Comet for £499 and although it looks decent for the price- everyone on this forum seems to recommend going for seperates.

The system will be going in my through-lounge which is a pretty large rectangular room. Ideally, I need a system with a CD Player that plays MP3's and a Cassette Deck (Yes I know, but I still have lots of old stuff on tapes). Not sure what amp or speakers to go for either :confused:

Can someone give me some recommendations on models they would recommend for a complete system? I know this questions gets asked a lot of the time with different budgets, but I would really appreciate some help with this :lease: Im really looking to purchase a system within the next week to ten days.

Thanks In Advance :thumbsup:

2. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya,

Although I have a Technics separates which I've had since early '90s, but there current mini-systems aren't that great.

I'd look at the systems from Denon and TEAC first and foremost.

They both do mini-separates, which sound incredible. Have a look at their web sites and get a brochure. ThHe TEAC Reference 300 Mk II is excellent (buying one myself), and Denon have even more of a range, all have won awards, sound and look amazing. www.denon.co.uk and www.teac.co.uk Several of the Denons come with speakers and components to suit your budget too, the TEAC usually don't, but on-line firms offer packages.

Hope that helps!

3. Paulholio

Paulholio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id have to agree on the TEAC.....looks great and sounds quality. Techincs is a dieing brand now ( i think panasonic have had enough) you can pick the TEAC up for 430 quid without speakers hifix have it and give free delivery so id check them out

4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Cambridge Audio Azur 340 cd player -> 150 pounds
    Cambridge Audio Azur 340 amplifier -> 150 pounds
    Any speakers you like with them for 200 pounds. Save another 70 pounds and go for the Richmond.
    You will get all the sound you can get for that money.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Alternatively in the Jan 2005 What HiFi, the Cambridge 540A/C and the Diamond 9.1's take on all comers and win at £580. Switching to something like the AE Evo's or similar would IMO sound better and bring the system towards the budget.