• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

£500 for projector

Mills256

Standard Member
Thinking about upgrading the home cinema got around £400-600 to spend and am either thinking receiver upgrade, front speaker upgrade or possibly a projector so my question is would £500ish get me decent projector & screen?

fredted40x

Established Member
Hi,

Im in the same position and from reading around i've come up with a list of four different projectors.

Optoma HD600X
Optoma HD66
Optoma HD67
Acer H5360

I was going to go for the Optoma but after a bit of research into comparisons im going to go for the Acer H5360, every comparisn post i've read says its alot better and most of the comparisons i've found have been written by people who have had experience with both. There are even posts saying they took the Optoma back and got the Acer.

The Optoma has less rainbow affect from what i've read but the Acer's colours are alot better.

Having the Acer will cost about £100-£150 more than your budget though depending on what screen you get. The projector is currently £544 at amazon and screens can range from £10 if you use a blackout blind to over £100, these would give a better imgae but cost more. I think the more expensive screens are better for 3d.

Last edited:

Mills256

Standard Member
Nice one really appreciate it, will have a read up and see what it's deal is etc, need to think about cables and all the deal with mounting & getting power to it etc so plenty to think about still! Also got to convince the wife it's a good idea!

Mills256

Standard Member
Looks a decent bit of kit, I think i need to measure my throw depth to see if i can full justify it etc or poss look at a different projector as dont want to buy it and only end up with a 60" screen yes would be cool but i fancy bigger obversely.

Mills256

Standard Member
will have to check it out, not looked into the optoma yet only the acer tbh, so need to do a bit more research my take a trip to my local AV shop and ask a few questions.

fredted40x

Established Member
Looks a decent bit of kit, I think i need to measure my throw depth to see if i can full justify it etc or poss look at a different projector as dont want to buy it and only end up with a 60" screen yes would be cool but i fancy bigger obversely.

Projector central do a calculator that you can choose a projector and then enter the throw distance and it will give you the screen size it will create.
Projection Calculator Classic - Throw Distance and Screen Size

If you can see any projectors running have a look to see if you can see any rainbow effect. If you can the Optoma would be best. Not everyone can see it apparently.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom