£500 budget - Polk Monitor Series?

ddjmagic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

I have been living/working in the USA, I recently returned back to the UK, my personal items and possessions
are been shipped in a large container in few weeks time.
I have been looking at the following speakers -

Monitor 70 Product Page : Floorstanding loudspeaker : Polk Audio
CS2 Product Page : Center Channel Loudspeaker : Polk Audio
Monitor 40 Product Page : Two-way bookshelf loudspeaker : Polk Audio

I am thinking about buying them and shipping them with the rest of my stuff, I can get the 5 speaker set up, 2 front, centre & 2 surrounds, for about £400 (end of line clearance), I was told they have been replaced with the TSi series, but they are out of my budget.

My budget is £500, am I best buying these speakers ,or is there any speakers that you can recommend that are comparable or better for around this budget from the UK.

They will be used for listening to Blu-ray/DVD movies.

I don't know much about speakers so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Bump - Need to make a decision in the next week or so.
Any help is appreciated.

I think the reason you aren't getting a response is that Polk speakers aren't that common in the UK and no one knows if they are good or bad value for money.

You could try the US based AVS forums, AVS Forum

I was hoping someone with experience could look at the specs from polks website and see how they compare to products sold in the UK for a similar price.
I have already been on avsforums thats what lead me to the polks in the first place, they seem to be very good value for the money in the US, but obviously avsforum is US based so they don't know what speakers would be comparable in the UK market.

Maybe I should change my question -
What would be the best speakers for £500 here in the U.K?

Thanks!

I will using a Pioneer LX-52 receiver.
Those speakers look really good, I wish they were in black though.
What subwoofer would suit that set up, anything around the £200 mark?

The BK gemini is the most popular £200 sub with very good feedback.

Gemini

The MA speakers are normally paired with warmer natured amps such as Yamaha or denon. However, people do pair them with brighter natured amps such as Pioneer; I see Quantum UK bundles the MA speakers with onkyo amps, which have a similar bright tonal nature to the Pioneer amps.

Only demoing is the way to ensure the amp speaker combo works for you, but usually with close out deals, that is difficult to do.

If you add the cost of the sub, to the previous package this is only a little more for a full 5.1 set

Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 AV Speaker Package - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

and this £25 more.

Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited Monitor Audio Bronze BR6 AV - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

The difference is the BR6 speakers over the BR5 speakers.

At £800, you can get this 5.1 set, which has a neutral tone, so should be good with the pioneer amp.

Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 5.1 Speaker System

EDIT Sorry just seen that's no longer in stock there. you may find some with a google search. Forum HIFI may have some?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom