£500-£600ish budget...

Having said that and noting what you said about liking the Monitor Audios, go with your ears but preferably get that kit back to your kitchen diner to have a listen there if the retailer will let you. Reviews only take you so far and can so often mislead unless you do what you did - I.e. listen for yourself. Have fun deciding anyway.

What the others have said - go with what you like the sound of. Reviews are only really someone elses impressions of kit and what they like and don't like. As I have said before, personally I really don't like QA speakers - something about the sound and quality that always sounds cheap, even the expensive speakers. Not appealing to me at all. But that's me. Others, as these fora can testify, love them.

Any advice on cable for the pair of them? I’ve no idea what to look for.
The most cost effective option is to simply buy a length of QED 79 strand (£2/meter), cut into two and connect the bared ends of each pair to the binding posts of both amp and speakers. Spending an extra £50-100 on a fully terminated set of cables will make connection slightly easier (and they may look a little neater) but any sonic benefits will be insignificant at this (or any :D) price point.

Jack

here’s a suggestion, spend the bulk of yourbbudget on a single box or amp/player of choice and pick Up some of these speakers.

I had a pair of these until they were damaged beyond repair and bought a number of modern lower cost speakers to £200 from QAcoustics and Wharfedale and the Missions were much better. If you find them adequate great keep them and some cash. If not you can always upgrade in the future.

Good hunting..

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You know what... I’m getting cold feet on purchasing the Cambridge Audio One with the Q Acoustic 3030i’s. I’m not sure what it is. Not having a gapless CD player isn’t helping and probably a few other things. I’m wondering is it underpowered for the 3030i’s. Should I spend a bit more on better quality separates?

It does have everything I ‘think’ I need.

*Must have*

1... 3.5mm Aux in for my ipod and the families devices to connect up to.

*Bonus*

1... Bluetooth that can be disabled

*Mustn’t have*

1... Bluetooth that can’t be disabled or 100% shut down when not selected.
2... WIFI that can’t be disabled or 100% shut down when not selected.

Something inside Is nagging me be to just push the budget up to £800 ish, and then buy a better integrated amp and some speakers. Then build on to it in the future, as and when needed.

When I tried looking for a £400-£600 integrated amp today that fit those requirements above, the options I found were slim to none. I need to continue looking. A few did fit, but the more I read into them, reviews speaking about very common technical faults put me off.

I know what you mean about the 3030i. It’s a niggle that won’t go away. Bass oomph for the sake of it maybe....I haven’t heard them though.
I find the Denon DRA 800 h perfect for my needs. I believe it has 90% of your needs taken care of.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom