£500-£600 to spend on 37". Plasma or LCD??

hkrdan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got somewhere between £500 and £600 to spend on a new 37" flatscreen. Viewing-wise, its mostly SD everyday stuff, but I watch a lot of rugby and football, will definitely get a blu-ray player and am considering sky hd.

I'm very tempted by the Panasonic TX-P37X10B plasma as reviews of the picture it provides seem favourable compared to similar priced lcd's, but should I be looking for a 1080p LCD to get the best from the blu-ray/sky hd??

Also whilst I appreciate its not 'top-end' money, considering most companies are dropping plasma's from their range, would I be buying into old technology likely to be obsolete in a years time?? Any help/info/suggestions appreciated.

Go for the Panasonic plasma - I have the last model, also 720p and blu-ray is fantastic on it (all the improved by having a good sound system to go with it) :)

As I said on your other thread... I'm in a similar position to you and have decided on the P37X10B.

Go for the Panasonic plasma - I have the last model, also 720p and blu-ray is fantastic on it (all the improved by having a good sound system to go with it) :)

Is 720p the maximum resoultion possible? Will a 1080p not improve the blu ray picture quality????

Is 720p the maximum resoultion possible? Will a 1080p not improve the blu ray picture quality????

Theoretically, yes. But as 'hkrdan' seems to have similar viewing habits as me (90%+ SD and Sports* with a 'bit' of film) the choice should be based on that.

Here's a (poor) analogy...
Which is 'better', a V6 turbo-diesel or a Ferrari V12? The Ferrari obviously.
If you spend your life dragging horse boxes around muddy fields and twice a year have to drive to the South of France as quickly as possible, would you rather have a Land Rover Discovery or a Ferrari? No, you can't have both :nono:

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited:
i use my TV primarily for Blu Ray so i am assuming a 1080p television will be best suited for my needs???

Yes, but still depends a bit on the size and how far you'll sit from the screen

i use my TV primarily for Blu Ray so i am assuming a 1080p television will be best suited for my needs???

As posted above, theorhetically yes, but there's no point in 1080p unless you can see the difference, which is hard on a 37" TV, and not possible at most viewing distances. You would be better off taking advantages from the plasma route for blu-ray, including colour, black and motion improvements over LCD options.

Nobody can really say which is the best though, you need to see them in real life, try and demo sets at peoples houses, if you can't do that then in shops, but there are several factors to take into consideration there, especially when comparing LCD and plasma

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom