Question £500 - £600 budget for 1st Home Cinema setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by evanswolves, Apr 9, 2016.

1. evanswolves

evanswolves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello there, will be getting my 1st home cinema system in a weeks time (in time for Force Awakens)
    I have a budget of £500 to £600, this will be for my bedroom (roughly, W12ft x L24ft x H8ft)
    Atmos and 4K would be a nice bonus

Have been looking through Richer Sounds, and have come up with the following receivers
    SONY STRDN860Black AV Receiver
    PIONEER VSX930Black Atmos AV Receiver
    DENON AVRX2200WBlack Atmos AV Receiver
    ONKYO TXNR646Black Atmos AV Receiver
    SONY STRDN1060Black AV Receiver
    These seem to be 7.1 or 7.2, i assume theyd still be fine for 5.1 for now?

Where i have come unstuck is when it comes to speakers. Have been looking at these
    PIONEER S-HS100Black 5.1 Speaker Package
    Now, these say 6 ohms, receivers say 8 ohms... Would they still be ok for the above recveivers?
    (I do plan on upgrading to better speakers later on in the year and to 7.1 or 7.2)

So, for the budget i have, any other suggestions?

2. raoulx

raoulx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The denon is an award winning amp and seems to be a go to amp so I'd probably go down that path as its quiet good price and has lots of functionality. But that doesn't leave much for speakers or anything else with the budget. Say £140-240. I would say spend more on something on the quality you want and upgrade but by bit to get 5.1 and maybe just get the front l/r and the centre if possible for now. There is no point 12 months down the line regretting it buying something not good enough and having to spend again

3. audimushroom

audimushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Or if budget is tight checkout the classifieds

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    As a general guide you can spend 2 to 3 times the rrp of the AVR on the speakers to get the best balance. Hence with your budget you are really spending too much on the AVR and not leaving yourself enough for the speakers.
    For the top end of your budget you could get this:
    Yamaha RXV379 & Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 | 5.1 Speaker Package excluding DVD player | Richer Sounds

Or as others have said, buy the better AVR and just get the front L/R speakers for now and add the rest as funds allow.