1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£5 off at Blah DVD

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Rob Pyatt, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Rob Pyatt

Rob Pyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've never heard of them either, but that £6 off link would bring the Star Wars Trilogy down to £22.99, if you want a R2. Has anyone used this lot?

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    I just signed up and got sent a £5 discount voucher but there is a catch...

Voucher only valid when you have at least 3 items in your basket and the basket is at least £30 in value

So much for getting the Star Wars Trilogy for £23.99

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mmmm... not sure I'd want to order that amount first time, from an unestablished retailer.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I remember a thread about this company relatively recently. Worth a search here...................;)

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    IIRC they are an old company which has been ressurected.Not very popular around here :nono:

7. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think there was speculation over at the DVD forums that blah were in fact Splash resurrected.

8. Olaup

Olaup
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Apparently the managing director of Splash DVD is involved in this company according to another forum thread I have seen .

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Best avoided then. :rolleyes:

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Not neccesarily?
    I know Splash were a nightmare for delivering but they did have some damn good deals of CDWOWesque proportions (and better) at times. You knew when you ordered that it was going to be a long wait.
    Mind you, i didn't have anything on order when they were liquidated so i don't have any grudges.
    Still, it's not like Blah! will go under within a couple of weeks so you may as well take advantage of the voucher. I'm going to order anyway so I'll let you all know how it goes.

11. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Indeed. There isn't a bargepole long enough :D

12. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I can't say I've explored the site thoroughly, but I haven't seen any obvious "damn good deals of CDWOWesque proportions" as yet. The prices seem pretty average to me. The £6 link isn't enough to tempt me to speculate £30 on a new company, which is rumoured to be rising from the ashes of a company as notorius as Splash.

13. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    If they are anything to do with Splash avoid ***. I ordered a lot off Splash and had no problems until just before it ceased trading. Then they just never sent my order and made up excuses as to why not, even said they would refund my money but it never happened :censored: Fortunately it was for a disc less than £10 so that is all I lost, but I am sure that there were people that lost more as they were doing a promotion at the time if you spent over £20 quid or something you got a free Donnie Darko DVD, fortunately I think that film is a pile of crap so I never bothered ;)

14. Daywalker

Daywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Has anyone actually got anything solid to suggest that this firm is connected with Splash in any way or is it just speculation?
    Whether it is or not i'm still going to use the voucher (assuming there a a few good deals on the site) as they cannot go bust that quickly no matter how badly run they are.

15. Trax

Trax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reaction from Jersey Trading Standards Service to these rumours:
    Reaction from Blahdvd:
    You can read it here: http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=222&Thread=286070&Page=2&Type=1

Come on people, give them a fair chance.

16. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just out of interest, I visited the Jersey Trading Standards website and I couldn't find any such quote which distances Splash from Blah. The site does have a news page where such statements are published but the statement regarding Splash/Blah doen't appear to be there yet (unless I've missed it)

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.je/

17. Trax

Trax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was not an official press release, but a reply by e-mail on someones question about the supposed connection between Splash and Blah.
    You can find it in the same thread that I've mentioned earlier: http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=222&Thread=286070&Page=1&Type=1

18. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok I've got the post which the guy quotes the email he say he received from Trading Standards.

There's nothing to confirm that such an email was actually issued by Trading Standards. This was the first and only post made by that user to the DVD reviewer forum. If it had been made by someone with an established posting history, I might be inclined to take it at face value but at the moment the notion that Jersey Trading Standards have made a statement distancing Splash and Blah remains unsubstantiated.

That's not to say that Splash and Blah are connected, merely that Jersey Trading Standards may not have confirmed this. If anyone from Blah is reading this, it might be in their company's interest to ask Jersey Trading Standards to publish a statement on their website which would remove any further doubt over the matter.

19. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    There's not a lot to prove outright anything you read on the Internet, so you have to ascertain a degree of trust in some circumstances. There's no way of knowing who I am, or who anyone in these forums really are, but most of us trust each other, and take each other at our words.

I'm fairly confident now, that Blah are not Splash, but I have yet to find a deal on their site, tempting enough to place an order, and given that I usually prefer R1 DVDs, it may be a while before I do. I suggest they should be given the benefit of the doubt, but I still wouldn't place a large order with them, until they are a little more established.

20. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's true to a certain degree but a statement on the Jersey Trading Standards official website would carry a lot more weight than someone who has chosen this alleged email as the subject for his first (and only) post to a web forum. Now if you with your current 701 posts were to say that you had received that email then I would have no problem in affording you that degree of trust.

Too often in the past I've seen people register at various forums just to pretend to be a satisfied customer of a particular company or product and in most cases its the company itself making the post. The worst instance was on a car importing newsgroup when dozens of posts recommending a Belgian Ford dealer were traced back to the dealer's IP address. That sort of thing tends to make most people cynical. :(

21. Trax

Trax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't this the world turned upside down. There is not a shred of evidence that there is a connection, only a rumour based on nothing. :confused:
    And now you want them to prove over and over again that they are a bona-fide company.
    It's okay to be cautious but don't overdo it.

22. DrOct

DrOct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is the same guy who run Splash also works for Blah then, look at dvdforums for more info

Would'nt touch them at all

23. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Fair comment, but in this case, I personally believe it's genuine. There is also a post further down that thread, from the owner of BlahDVD, and I would be very surprised if both of these turn out to be fictitious.

It is very confusing, however, now that there are several 'UK' DVD retailers, apparently operating from the Channel Islands. As far as I am aware, Jersey is smaller than the Isle Of Wight, and it must be about to sink with all these warehouses full of DVDs! :rolleyes: I know for a fact that Powerplay, who were also mentioned in that thread, operate from Eastbourne, and have a shop there, which I have been in, but their website states a C.I. address.

24. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its all down to taxes. If theyre address is C.I based then it makes no difference where they are actually based or where they ship from.

25. adieacc

adieacc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a slightly different note, i applied for the voucher, and it has six month expiry, therefore valued until December. So the way i figure is, apply for the voucher, give them a few months to bed in, then if they appear reliable (and reduce their prices a little) use the voucher

Adieacc

26. paul333

paul333
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few months back I also posted an email to Jersey trading standards and they replied that they were satisfied that there was no connection between Blah and Splash.

Although I didn't actually loose any money when Splash went bankrupt I had had many problems trying to get refunds off those b""stards a few months earlier.

Nevertheless I'm still wary about dealing with companies with no established reputation like Blah - so from now on I'm sticking to CDWOW/Play/DVD.co.uk/ChoicesDirect

27. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it just me, or does the Blah site look very similar to play.com?? Maybe thev've just copied it.
    the front homepage, description of DVDs etc

anybody else notice this??

28. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! I noticed the similarity with play too. I thought I'd saved a couple of Splash pages for comparrison too, but they're lost to the digital ether.

Can't blame them for adopting a winning formula.

29. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Apparently someone from the cdanddvdbargains website tried to register with Blah only to find that their detaisl were already on the database despite never having visited blah before.

Something fishy is making a 'splash' sound.

30. Mabbs

Mabbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no affiliation with this company but thought I'd give them a go, did have a few problems with Splash myself. Anyway I placed an order Wednesday night and received 2 out of the 3 dvd's today.