1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£4k to spend - Sony VPL-VW11HT ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Jul 3, 2002.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've got a £4k budget for a projector, and have found the Sony VPL-VW11HT for £3600 inc VAT, which seems like a bargain. Is this a good choice, or are there any others I should be looking at?

Cheers,

Colin

2. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a bad choice by any means. I bought a Marantz for 4.6k from US EBay...a guy in Japan (an American military guy). Seemed scarey at first, but the guy's feedback was flawless. I got it sent to the US and used airmiles to go collect from my buddy. It works perfectly and for me, was well worth the extra outlay over the Sony. It can be had for 7k in the UK (I believe 10k from authorized Marantz dealerships)...so 4.6k was a steal. The choice is yours...3.6k is a good price for the Sony but for me, the Marantz DLP is a class apart from it.....but we all have budgets. I worked to mine and I guess you have to work to yours. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    I am sure that I would be well pleased with a VW11. I'm over the moon (still, after 2 years) with my VW10.

HOWEVER - its an expensive piece of hardware and you need to make sure that your choice is right for you. Every technology has its pros and cons, including LCD as used in the Sony.

So, before you buy, get an extended demonstration.

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Colin,

I would look at the Hitachi 5500, not much more than £4000 now, could be the one to have, when Dilard is ready.

Read some of the posts here at the other forum,

What are you using for DVD playback?
    HTPC or DVD player?

Good luck,

Mark.

5. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you can see, we've all got opinions. Probably the best point raised is to make sure you audition the hardware. If you have seem the Sony, and at least a couple of others, and it feels right for you, then go for it! Always remember though.......it has to be something you really want to do. By the time you add a decent sound system (a dedicated one), screen etc etc, you might well be looking at an outlay of over 6k. As my wife keeps reminding me, 6k, 7k, or whatever it costs, is a hell of a lot of visits to the local multiplex.....

6. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife is an avid reader and is constantly reminding me how cheap it is to borrow books from the library !

cj, you might want to add the Epson TW100 to your short list. Its a widescreen, LCD projector with 1280x720 resolution, built-in Faroudja deinterlacer, has DVI input, quiet (apparently) and designed specifically for home-cinema use. Sells for around £3,500

Allan

7. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW the TW100 has one of the best contrast ratios i've seen on a LCD and is far more compact than the Sony.
    And no I don't own either but went to one of the PJ shootouts and saw both PJ's in action.

Technophobe

8. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks for your replies guys - it's a nightmare trying to decide. Some people tell me DLP, others LCD etc. etc. I'm actually buying all my kit, so I'm having just as much trouble with amps and speakers (do I buy seperates or AV1-SR, M&K's/Dynaudio etc. etc.). It all gives me a headache :(

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    My point exactly. For me, the DLP rainbow is very visible, even on the movie-optimised newer models. Whereas, the reduced contrast of LCD doesn't worry me too much. But that is my choice. It may well not be yours. Spending this kind of cash isn't something that should be done hurriedly or lightly. Invest time in auditions. It is the only way. If you want to know what to look for, there are many threads in this forum that compare the different technologies. Do a search....

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you read the excellent replies to my thread on this topic in the Amplifiers section?:)