£49 extra for HD - not bad

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Howard Pitfield, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As my original Sky+ cost £350 in October 2001 - £399 (£49 extra) after 5 years for HD is not bad....

H

PS Silly me - I will never make an accountant (added much later)

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    :confused: . It's £299 (just for the box though)

3. riolto

riolto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What to do with the old sky + box having only one viewing card and having spent 299 on the sky + woud it be best to sell it on ? or is there any use for it with the latest H D BOX When it arrives?.

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Well, I'd keep it for a while. You never know, you may end up being disappointed with Sky HD (hopefully not) & want to sell your Sky HD on. Just a thought. Otherwise I'm sure you'll get £50 or so for it, maybe more if t's a Pace.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    As has been stated many times you have a choice; Pay for a multiroom subscription to have this box installed in another room. Install it yourself and use it for Free to air channels only. Keep it as a backup in case the HD box breaks down. Sell it on Ebay.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I remember paying £500 for my first digital receiver a Pace 9200s in 1997 which is the equivalent of probably £700+ now. There were about a dozen channels on the Clarke belt. I bought Sky digital on launch, Sky plus soon after launch. All full price.

£299 is a bargain for what you get and it astounds me how people have started threads about not buying it. I say WELL dont then!!

Incidently I have a Barco 808s for my high def and unfortunately have had to buy an adapter for it (DVI input, HDCP friendly) at a cost of another 140 quid so you people just paying £299 are lucky :)

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yeah but I got more than 6 channels for my money in 2001 :thumbsdow

8. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    You will this time too. In fact, you got 0 channels that you didn't already have last time round.

9. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I agree - £299 is nothing for new technology like this. Certainly will be the cheapest bit of new kit I've purchased for several years. Would seem stupid not to pick up SkyHD for £299 (the only new bit of kit I will buy this year). And as for £10 a month extra - no one is going to miss £10 are they - and no doubt Sky will drop the £10 payment in due course, once they reach the critical mass of HD subscribers (much like they did for Sky+).

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    I bought my 2 Sky+ boxes from Tottenham Court Road just after it launched (cos of waiting list when ordering with Sky). They cost me £400 each, when I rang Sky to activate them they told me I had voided the warranty simply by opening the boxes (lol), but I have never had a problem with either. I believe I have had more than my monies worth from them, it changed the way we watched TV at home and could not be without it now.

With SkyHD I think £299 is a right bargain :) I think too many people want something for nothing and usually end up comparing new technology and prices with current technology and prices.
    Having HD on tap, regardless of number of channels is good. World Cup, Sky One, nature stuff and of course movies. Also you just know new channels will be added on a fairly regular basis. I honestly dont see the problem with the price.

11. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Have to admit my Tivo cost £600 new. OTOH I've had about 6 years life out of it and wouldn't do without it... sometimes the initial cost is worth it (whether you know it at the time or not).

I hope SkyHD lasts a couple of years at that price, before the inevitable upgrade to the 'next big thing'.

12. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For a new sky customer who has never experienced Sky+ and is looking for HD, the Sky HD+160 box for £299 + 1 or 2 years £10 per month is an absolute steal in my opinion. Sky+ is fantastic, anyone new to it would surely consider the £299 a bargain but you are also throwing in a few HD channels also, its cheap as chips. I think its good value for the HD aspect and larger disk space alone after having a basic sky+ for 5 years.

13. sweezely

sweezely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky won't be making much money off the HD box itself, so I really can't see why people are complaining. And if people can't afford £10 a month for HD Sky, then why did they buy a HDTV in the first place?

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Who says they have ? That's the point - £299 may not be much for the box alone, but that's not all you need. And £299 + £1500 for a TV is a lot to pay for ~6 channels in "glorious HD" :thumbsdow

15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I think the £299 is a fair price, like others I have paid more in the past. My panasonic digital box cost more than that and my sky plus was the same cost. :)

16. steve10574

steve10574

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

ya but surely you would buy skyhd cos you have a hidef telly not the other way round?

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Many AV enthusiasts may probably already own a HD-ready TV, but for the "average joe" it will also mean a new TV.

18. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

I think average joe is just coming to terms with dvd. lol :D

19. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Some people may not think that paying 299 for a box to allow you to access 6 channels is that good a deal. But it's a small price to pay for getting shot of Scart leads :rotfl:

20. nibb

nibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Unfortunately there are mugs like me who purchased a Panasonic 6 series plasma in time for Euro 2004 who now have to part with another £1500 in order to take advantage of HD!:rolleyes: :suicide:

I`ll give it a year I think!:(

Although some of the HD trailers on the Quicktime site make it very tempting!!:rotfl: ;)

21. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

I have a 1280 x 720 DLP rear po and I wont upgrade untill we have 1080p display.

As long as one gets a 1280 x 720 with HDCP they will be fine for HD. Flat panels at the moment have all sorts of strange (pc type) res 1368x768 and 1024x768. Neither are true HD resolutions and both need scalling. Why havent manufacturers started mass production of true HD res, instrad of keeping the old pc type res? :confused:

22. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think it is surprising that some folk will spend several thousand pounds on a new HD ready television and then complain when they are asked to pay a few quid for the technology that allows them to watch HD programmes.

23. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think the problem is alot of the general public have bought Flat panels for convenience and due to the size of them. To then ask them to pay another £300 to make the best of them is disappointing for some who feel that HD is just a slight improvement on what they have especially when they could have bought a non HD ready set for probably half the price.

Now that SKy HD is launched people will be fully aware of the extra costs of HD and can then decide whether to buy HD flat panel when buying their next set.

24. ash005

ash005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i dont have sky so to get sky hd it'll cost

£299 - box
    £60 - install (had sky in the past)
    £120 - hd subscription
    £384 - 12 months at 32 for package i would like

making a total of £863.00:eek:

not that cheap

ash.

25. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    It's not a question of affording it - people are feeling that a total monthly fee over over 50 quid to watch telly doesn't represent good value for money.

Sky have been milking their customer base for years with high charges and levying yet another charge for HD (on top of 300 quid for the hardware) seems to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for quite a few people.

Gav

26. sweezely

sweezely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky HD is marketed as a "premium" product, and the movie and sports packages are called "premium" packages. Sky might be expensive, but no one is being forced to get any of the premium products. Sky HD is a bleeding edge product and should be treated as such.

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270

Quite right. I have no trouble affording it - I just don't think it's good value when there's so little to watch, and what is worth watching is going to make all my other viewing appear worse. We all know how bandwidth constricted the BBC & ITV channels are - I don't need anything which makes this more of an annoyance.

28. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I actually think £299 for the box is fine - I have the money buring a hole in my pocket ready to give to Sky.

I have an HD ready TV (Phillips 9830) - I actually bought my LCD because I wanted a flat panel TV for my lounge to replace my old TV - and I'm smart enough to realise it made sence to get an HD ready one, rather than a cheaper one that wasn't future proof.

In other words I didn't buy it with HD soley in mind. I have a full on home cinema kit and so on and the LCD really completes it.

I have only the family pack on Sky. I want to buy the box and watch the family pack HD channels. To do so I must pay as much as everyone else, who because they CHOOSE to buy Sports and Movies, will get better value for their £10.

I will get half the channels for the same money. I'm NOT saying that I should get all for the £10. I would like my half of the channels for half the money.

Thats what I am am disappointed at. As I have said elsewhere this is a Sky LICENCE. You are not paying for the channels in any way whatsoever. They come free dependant on how much you already pay Sky in the form of the packages you have.

The Sky HD fee is the equivalent of the TV LICENCE, whereby you pay for the right to watch TV. The TV licence isn't a package price for all the channels you get, neither is this.

Sky could have £60 a year from me and I'd be happy with Sky One HD and the like. Instead I get nothing and they get nothing. Whether £10 is a little or a lot, I do not wish to pay for something I will not get.

29. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Actually you get to pay £20. Or do you already pay the other tenner for Sky+ so you're not counting that?

30. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Well the PVR function is quite decent. Apart from TiVo which is hard to find, Sky+ is the next best thing. The current freeview PVR's aren't exactly the best and they have many bugs, the Sky EPG is much better. The good Freeview PVR's are £200+ and Sky+ is £80 or so.