1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£400 to spend on an AV amp & bewildered!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tullamore, Jan 9, 2004.

1. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, hope you can give some advice. Looking for amp/receiver to complete AV system. Will be matched with KEF 2005.2's.
    Largish room but in a block so won't be going too loud (except when the neigbours are out) so fine audio detail very important. Mainly DVD's. May buy a new CD player to run through it. Also will run cable box & XBOX thru it. Will likely upgrade to 6.1 at some point as well. Like the Pioneers (have a Pioneer DVD player) and we use the amps at work - wondering if their new scart technology(?) is worth investing in at present. Overwhelmed by reviews. Any suggestions welcome. Oh....and Silver I'm afraid.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend both Marantz and Pioneer in this instance. The Pioneer VSX-D912 and a Marantz SR5400/6400. Will complement the kefs very well.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was going to go for the Marantz SR5400 as it is at the top of the best buy chart in HCC and has everything I realy need in a receiver .

I allso have about the same money to spend . they have it on the unbeatable for under £350 and I thought that a good deal . I have noticed that they have released a special ed version of this amp that had been upgraded for better sound . Has anyone heard the diference and is it realy worth the extra 40 that it would cost over the standard version ?

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have a pio with mission fs1 and they sound awesome

6. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I must admit the Pioneer is looking good. I read a lot of Marantz reviews on a US site and a lot of the owners complained about the massive heat it generated even on standby? Is this true of all amps - the 812 included or more a Marantz issue? BTW thanks for the feedback to date.

7. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I like many others would recommed the 812 also.

I havn't any problems with over heating.
    Might be something to do with the US electricity supply, as I live in the UK.

8. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK - here is where I show major ignorance. According to a few reviews the 812 ...wait for it...speaker crossover doesnt go down to 80 which is the ideal level for a sub/sat system. It starts at 100. What does this mean in reality. Really sorry about terminology but not quite there yet.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    The OSE of the 5400 is very similar in full multichannel hook up but does sound better in stereo (in might sound better in DVD-A/SACD for all I know but, I haven't heard it do it). If it is to do stereo duties as well it could be worth a look but the bald figures are exactly the same in both. I would also question whether it is worth the bother with a sub/sat package- think of it as four more films- at which the eggs do excel.

10. klw

klw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Marantz SR5400 from Richer Sounds and am very pleased with it. I traded in my 2 year old Yamaha DSP-AX620 (via the Supercare guarantee) and got £140 off the £299.95 price.

11. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    squid,

I'd encourage you to listen to the receivers that you're interested in, and not just buy them from the paper specs. Everyone's ears are different, and you may find that you prefer the sound of the Pioneer/ Denon/ Yamaha despite the fact that the HCC reviewer preferred the Marantz!

Balders,

12. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you meen . problem is around here the only place to go to see anything is currys or dixons .In other words there s nowhere around here to see anything:(

If I had a car things may be diferent but as things stand I tend to have to take the word of magazines and the people on the forum ( more often the people on the forum )

I have been thinking though to infact go for somthing by pioneer as I have a pioneer amp now and like the sound of it . The only real reson I am going for somthing new is that the amp I have is a rather cheep bottom of the rung amp and is not very good with the digi output of my sky+ (tend to get a lot of crackeling as though the output is just too high for the amp to cope with)

I am wondering if it woud be a better idear for me to go for a second hand receiver that is better quality for the money . I have seen quite a few 908s selling rather cheep lately ( I think it's the lack of 6.1-7.1 ) .I only realy want 5.1 so somthing like that woul be fine .
    would it be better going for a THX certified 908 that has been looked after raher than one of the new models.

how dose somthing like the VSXD912 campare quality wise with a vsx-908