1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£400 to spend on a sub...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by liamjf, Sep 15, 2004.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello chaps, title says it all really, looking for a sub to add to my AV system and to add aliitle lower end butchness to stereo as well .
    Here's the thing, must be in wood finish (don't care what) for WAF and have dual inputs and gains in order to produce trouser wobbling stuff for the new STAR WARS DVDS and also something a bit more subtle for stereo. Second hand no problem so what would you suggest? So far looked at REL Strata III and BK-XLS 200 and even MJA Ref 100 (maybe a bit too small) but haven't heard anything. Cheers for any advice,

Liam.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Its a shame that you cant get WAF for black or non wood finnish as the new baby SVS would come in under your budget and give nay thing else in the £400 bracket a serious run for its money:gri:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Liam

You could probably pick-up a REL Quake in Cherry for £400. It works well for both movies and music, but will get lost in a larg(ish) room

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You could ask in the classifieds to see if anyone is selling a B&W ASW675, if you are willing to go 2nd hand, you could find what you are looking for.

If you up your budget a little, the Mordaunt Short MS909 could also be an option, or a KEF PSW3000.

If you can get round the WAF factor, then it opens your doors to the SVS mentioned above, or a Servo 15 if you can find one in the classifieds.

It might also be worth looking at the Mordaunt Short MS409, not a wood finish, but still very WAF in it's silver finish. I believe AVLand.co.uk sell the MS409 sub seperate to the rest of the Genie package.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You may just about sneak in a second hand REL Storm 3 in wood finish at £400 which has everything that you have asked for - and more

6. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that Ian - I'm looking. :) As for the others - are any of them actually suitable for my requirements? i.e. wood finish and simultaneous high and low inputs?

Liam.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not sure about the B&W ASW675 as most B&W subs don't have high level connections. You have to be careful with some of the others as whilst they may have both types of connection they may only have one set of controls which renders it useless for your purposes.

REL's definately fit the bill and speaking as an ex Storm owner that one fits the bill very well indeed

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The ASW675 does not have Hi (Speaker Inputs) just lo (line Level) but it is a fantastic sub, why do you need both, do you have two setups?

9. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    I 'may' be selling my Cherry Rel Storm 3 in the not too distant future. Have just bought a 2nd hand M&K MX150 off the classifieds, and either that or the Storm will go! (why would I sell what I have just bought?? - WAF of course! ''what the :censored: is that?'' was the response at 5:30pm today)
    Phil

PS The Storm has high and low inputs, as I believe do most Rel subs.

10. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah 2 channel setup via Primare amp and high level, 5 channel via Marantz and low level. Must be able to use both simultaneously with dual volume controls for seamless integration with 2 channel and whack it up to full sod the hi-fidelity for dvd watching!

11. moviemike

moviemike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody got an opinion on the MJ REF 100? Been thinking about one of them for my basement?