1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£400 burning hole in my pocket

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fatbob10, Mar 23, 2003.

1. fatbob10

fatbob10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

currently own a Pioneer DV 350 multi region DVD player which I'm very happy with. What i want is to buy some kit to turn it all into surround sound etc - presumably an AV amplifier and surround speakers. Trouble is, I know very little about all this stuff. I have £400 to spend and not really anymore. I was thinking about the Sony HTDDW840S but can't really find any reviews etc about it. I would welcome any views from people out there with the knowledge and please - in layman terms eh guys and gals.

thanks all,

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

There are a few Av recievers about for around 250 -300 pounds:
    Marantz SR4300, Denon AVR 1603/1803, Yamaha DSP AX630

Various reviews can be found on the net for these models.

Lots of speakers sets are available for under £150 (Gale and Eltax etc).

My friend got the Eltax silverado set for about £110 they look cool and they sound good.

Some cheap speakers sets are available form here:
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_vqeg23nnsa&vp=3&bg=216

I cannot comment on the Sony HTDDW840S, but I would think you may get better quality sound from dedicated speaker set.

Hope this helps

Jimmysil

3. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Denon 2802 from hifistore for 370 ...

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Give to ME :D

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    fatbob10,

scooby do has a very good speaker set up for the price. The amp is very good indeed but doesn't have DPL-II if that is important to you (DPL-II improves your 2 channel vhs tapes greatly).

What new products can you otherwise get for £400 or £450 if you can stretch it?

Receiver
    Multiple award winner Yamaha RX-V430RDS for £200 (black, add and if you want silver u have to choose 5540 which is suppose to be the same but with a less functional remote) at richer sounds shops. OBS, hifijunkies.co.uk sells actual 430 in silver for £219
    http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/receiver/rx-v430rds/index.php

Or if you want a slim receiver that matches your DV-350 you can go down to £150 (richer sounds shop) for the Pioneer VSX-C100S, which has got good reviews, e.g. a 5star from what-hifi, http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=1601&taxonomy_id=62-98

Speakers
    As a speaker package you can can if you choose the Pioneer, choose the Eltax Liberty 5+ (5spkr pack) from the richer sounds shops. Their mag will say £250 while their website says £150, but they will go down to £150 easily. Liberty 5+ has got some excellent reviews based on their original price £400.

And a sub for up to £100, again from richer sounds, or if you can stretch another £50, then you can get the very good value Paradigm PDR8.

An alternative would be to buy the superb and beautiful Eltax Chroma 5spkr from qed-uk.com for only £240! Homecinemachoice said that the bass is so good that you don't even need a subwoofer and gave it a 4star based on the price of £630!!!

If you choose the Yamaha, then it leaves you only £200-£250, and again Liberty 5+ together with a basic sub or Chroma without a sub is within your reach.

I am sure that other members can and will advice you another set up, but I would think this is a very good start for your budget and I don't think that you should give the receiver a higher budget allocation than your speakers.

If I didn't have very tight with space, the Eltax Chroma would be my choice considering the very low price.

7. mbbx0bbr

mbbx0bbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11