~£400 AV amp with HDMI and DAB tuner?

MrChimpy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my AVI amp from a half arsed cheapo Sherwood jobbie that's showing its age and has never actually managed to deal with optical audio in without occasional glitches. I'm looking to spend ~£400/500 on a new amp with HDMI switching (not a priority, more future proofing) with a DAB tuner, and possibly auto setup of levels. I need a "normal" combination of analogue and optical ins - at least two of each. Nothing too special really.

My setup is 4 "real" floorstanding speakers, cheapy eltax front with no sub for the sake of the neigbours.

Any recommendations or pointers? Not aiming for audiophile, but a step up would be nice.

--
Tony

All your requirements are there apart from HDMI at that price, as far as I can see.
If you can go without that, consider Yamaha 459, 559, 659 and 759.
Or Denon 1906 or possibly 2106.

aye, be aware with cheaper amps HDMI switching, quite often it means literally just that, you cant upconvert to it from other sources so will still need other cables to the display, also you might not be able to split the audio signal off the cable and process it in the amp meaning for example your DVD player will need a coax/optical cable as well...

if you can stretch higher to around £750 you get much better choices in respect to future proofing usually.....but it all depends just how much future you want to proof....heh :)

MrChimpy said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my AVI amp from a half arsed cheapo Sherwood jobbie that's showing its age and has never actually managed to deal with optical audio in without occasional glitches. I'm looking to spend ~£400/500 on a new amp with HDMI switching (not a priority, more future proofing) with a DAB tuner, and possibly auto setup of levels. I need a "normal" combination of analogue and optical ins - at least two of each. Nothing too special really.

My setup is 4 "real" floorstanding speakers, cheapy eltax front with no sub for the sake of the neigbours.

Any recommendations or pointers? Not aiming for audiophile, but a step up would be nice.

--
Tony

Really simple: Philips DFR9000. Approx € 650.

It doesn't feature auto-setup but has DAB, HDMI switching and any-to-any conversion.

You may have to import it though because I think it's not available in UK.

Badger0-0 said:
All your requirements are there apart from HDMI at that price, as far as I can see.
If you can go without that, consider Yamaha 459, 559, 659 and 759.
Or Denon 1906 or possibly 2106.
It's the Denon 2807 you need for HDMI/video conversion etc...

What you're looking for isn't available for the money you're willing to spend just yet.....

The new Sony STR-DA1200ES, A new class winner in the making according to WHSAV. £400 RRP get it chepaer if you can find it on line.

The Sony AV amps haven't been up to scratch for a long time. I would wait 6 months until you have more choice rather than just going for the first one available. I'd be inclined to stick to Denon and Yamaha who generally produce better quality AV amp/receivers.

Try the Onkyo TX-SR674E - does everything you say except the DAB bit. (although its £500)

jamiesalter said:
Try the Onkyo TX-SR674E - does everything you say except the DAB bit. (although its £500)

Above budget & no DAB - therefore of no use to him.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom