1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£400-£500 to spend on speakers for 2011

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lukes, Feb 16, 2003.

1. lukes

lukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have now brought the pioneer 2011 (well joined the queue) and now need some speakers for it.

So far I have listened to the Bose AM 15 and 10, Pioneer NS-DV1000 linked to the Pioneer 811 AMP.

When testing I used the Top Gun DVD, Monsters INC DVD, Mix Music CD (Vocals, Dance, Techno)

The Bose filled the room with sound but there was something missing from the dynamics (both when playing Music and DVDs) which the Pioneer NS-DV1000 filled – though I’m still not convinced that I will buy these.

I hear good things about B&W but from what I found I will need to spend £1250 + which I can’t afford for just speakers

I have come to the conclusion to buy the Pioneer S-V510 with the S-W150S complete cost of around £400 - But will not buy until I have heard them (hope to hear them in the next coupe of weeks).

So to the question:

Has anyone else heard the S-V510 and the S-W150S speakers by pioneer? – What did you think?

Can anyone else suggest another 5.1 speaker package capable of playing music and DVDs costing between £400-£500?

Thanks

Luke

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If you only have a total of £1200 to spend on Amp plus speakers ... and don't intend to upgrade the speakers at a later date ... then it would probably be better to consider buying a less expensive amp and better speakers ... a 50/50 split or even 30/70 with 70 being spent on speakers would be a better balance.

£400 speakers on the Pioneer 2011 would be wasting the abilities of the Pioneer.

You may pick up a bargain at Richer Sounds or similar to suit ... maybe 2 pairs of Wharfedale 8.2 plus a centre plus Paradigm PS1000 sub (if you can get one) would be close to your £400 budget, or 2 pair Mission 771e plus 77c plus sub ... but I still think you'd be better off with cheeper amp and better speakers.

Just something to think about ...

Victoria.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that I agree with Victoria that the balance of your expenditure is wrong. Speakers have a far greater effect on the finished sound than does the amp and personally I would spend £400-£500 less on the amp and increase the speaker budget by that amount

4. lukes

lukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounddog,

Thanks for the info.

I do plan in the future to upgrade the speakers.

I thought about down grading the AMP but I like the idea of plugging my PC into it as well as the features that you get on it (THX etc.).

So what speakers do you think I should get for it (and the cost for them)?

Luke

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Okay ... yes you can just buy a cheep speaker package now ... try taking a look at Richer Sounds and considering KEF Cresta 1, Mission 700 or 771e. These will cost you £100-150 with a centre. Now spend £350 or so on a decent sub which will still be suitable when you can afford better speakers later.

These will never give you anything like the performance that your amp really deserves ... but will give you something to listen to until you can afford better.

Long term ... you need to be looking at B&W 600 range, possibly the B&W CDM NT range, KEF Q series or THX select packages such as the Mordant Short ones. My preference would be for the 600s - 602 (£300 + £100 stands) standmounts or 603 (£600) floorstanders fronts, LCR600 (£300) for centre plus 2 or 4 601 (£250) or 602 (£300) rears.

Back to the possibility of down grading to a lower spec amp ... for £1200 I would consider spending £350 on an amp (Marantz SR5300 / Yamaha AX-V630 / Denon 1803) then 602 fronts, LCR60 centre and 2 600 rears - total £750 and then try to stretch the buget for a £350 sub (drop the 600 for rears and get a pair of Mission 700 for £50 if needed)

Alternativly, if you want a small sub/sat package, stick with £350 for the amp, and get a set of KEF "eggs" (£800) or B&W VM1 (£850) both of which come with a sub - and spend the little extra you have on some cable, a bottle of red wine and a good DVD.

Victoria

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Forgot to say ... don't necessarily worry about THX certification ... to a certain ecstent it's "just a badge". As for connecting your PC ... you can either use a Digital interconnect, a normal analogue output, or there are a couple of manufacturers who do a USB "sound card" which is the same solution as the Pioneer uses.

Victoria

7. lukes

lukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Victoria,

Thanks for the info again

Next weekend I'm going to check out the pioneer speakers and B&W 600's ( I also like the idea of a quake sub)

I might increase my budget when the 2011 finally gets here and splash out on some good speakers.

More advice welcome

Luke

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I've always fancied the Quake sub too ... don't have a large room ... but everyone here say's it's crap :-(

Victoria

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luke,
    You should also take a look at the Quad range.

Victoria,
    Don't do it.
    One of my favourite Ian J moments was at last years Bristol show when Mr J pointed out that the demo in the Rel room actually sounded better with the Rel quake switched off :zonked: