£3k budget - What would you get?

steve 111

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got £3k to spend on my new plasma. £3k must cover the cost of the panel, any connection boards, and a wallbracket or stand.

The plasma will be used predominantly for watching sport and films on DVD. It will need to be connected to a Pio 565 DVD player via component and Pace Digibox via RGB Scart. Although I could connect both via my amp (Yamaha RXV1400).

Don't really need an in built tuner, and panel must be a min. of 42". Any advice on the best unit to go for within my £3k budget?

buy the panasonic at £2150 ish exc a video board but inc delivery and stand and add £800 for a lumagen vision dvi..... thats almost def the best you will do for the money

ad

Id wait for the Pioneer MXE1 to be released - early indications are that you wll be able to get it for £3k. Its a his res panel unlike the Panny.

Originally posted by buns
buy the panasonic at £2150 ish exc a video board but inc delivery and stand and add £800 for a lumagen vision dvi..... thats almost def the best you will do for the money

not a bad idea, but how about the £2250 deal for a PWD6 with the 6Y component/svideo board, mount and delivery with a JS RGB-PlasmaVGA for another hundred on top and then he's got £650 for other resulting upgrades (which always seem to occur when the plasma makes its entry) ?

The pioneer 565's component out into the 6Y board will look brilliant, and the Sky+ via the JS RGB-Plasma into the VGA input is very good for a medium quality mpeg signal on an SD panel.

The £2150 is the £2250 deal minus the video board.... in my mind this plus scaler is vastly favourable to the likes of the pioneer MXE..... with the MXE you will bewatching with only internal scaling and personally, that would be suicide. I would still choose the likes of the lumagen ahead of the JS converter..... fair enough the converter might help a bit, but with a progressive display, I honestly believe you need a properly scaled progressive output. I have now been through 3 projectors (progressive displays) all of which have looked tragically bad without having a video processor (even simple prog scan from dvd player looks pretty dire to me).

Quite simply, my view is that you need a scaler with a display like this. If I couldnt have one, I probably wouldnt bother.

ad

The £2150 is the £2250 deal minus the video board.... in my mind this plus scaler is vastly favourable to the likes of the pioneer MXE..... with the MXE you will bewatching with only internal scaling and personally, that would be suicide. I would still choose the likes of the lumagen ahead of the JS converter..... fair enough the converter might help a bit, but with a progressive display, I honestly believe you need a properly scaled progressive output. I have now been through 3 projectors (progressive displays) all of which have looked tragically bad without having a video processor (even simple prog scan from dvd player looks pretty dire to me).

Quite simply, my view is that you need a scaler with a display like this. If I couldnt have one, I probably wouldnt bother.

ad

we have a PWD6 with an iScan Ultra ... maybe its my eyes (or the channels we predominantly watch) but Sky+ svideo direct into the PWD6 gives a :censored: good picture IMHO

ok well maybe im picky then..... i have been using a native signal now with my various displays for now about 4 years, I simply cant watch interlaced on them! It is plain horrific!

I also heard that lumagen visions were often specified with some plasma resellers as standard (in other words the plasma wasnt sold without!)...... so each to their own I guess! I have gone as far as having all my sources sdi modified.... so you can probably tell im quite picky!

ad

ok well maybe im picky then..... i have been using a native signal now with my various displays for now about 4 years, I simply cant watch interlaced on them! It is plain horrific!

I also heard that lumagen visions were often specified with some plasma resellers as standard (in other words the plasma wasnt sold without!)...... so each to their own I guess! I have gone as far as having all my sources sdi modified.... so you can probably tell im quite picky!

ad

well there seems to be a bit of a difference in PQ on the PWD6 with Sky via scart input and Sky via Svideo input so maybe thats it

saw a DVD player the other day with a VGA 15pin output ;)

Well scart is worst as you say, but svideo still isnt wonderful. For a non modified skybox, the best you can do is RGBs but im not sure the panny can accept that, yet another reason why a processor is a good idea.

It isnt simply the use of the vga that im talking about, it is the use of a true high quality processing solution. Dont forget, this display is still a number of thousand pounds..... it deserves a good signal!

Take a comparison...... running a panel without a scaler is a bit akin to expecting that joe down the road can jump into Schumachers car and still have it perform..... yet it will look impressive and all that, it might even result in some impressive moves, but chances are that Schumy will run laps around you in a souped up road car.....

ad

ad

@buns Interested to know what can have the SDI mod and I assume you run them into the scaler. Does this have the inputs for SDI or is that modded aswell !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom