£3500 4K TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by BlairH, Jul 12, 2015.

1. BlairH

BlairH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi folks,

Looking to spend approximately £3500 on a 4K TV to replace an 8th generation 1080p Pioneer Kuro. Obviously, the latter is an awesome TV and is a tough act to follow; so any replacement must be of a similar quality in terms of picture quality (if not build quality; which I appreciate will be nothing like the Pioneer set).

Image quality (contrast, black levels, etc) is the main priority here for sure; as is motion handling. I have a very good Denon AV receiver with Bowers & Wilkins speakers, so the sound quality of the set needn't be a consideration. 4K is important, for futureproofing -such as it is- which is why I cannot in good conscience go for a 1080P OLED.

I'd be looking for 65" for sure; but anywhere between 60" and 65" would be pretty good.

I've looked at Samsung's JS9000 offerings. Are these any good? I've read the reviews and some of the user impressions. What about Panasonic and Sony's respective offerings?

Cheers,

Blair

2. AFSTER

AFSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Panasonic Viera TX-65CX802B, that is what i am waiting for to come out

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,378
    You're buying at a good time, the Samsung JS9000 is available for £2800 ish at some retailers now and with the Samsung cashback you can get if you have an old 32" tv to trade in you'd be getting a hell of a lot of TV for £2500 ish, it's a fab TV. Having said that the Panasonic is getting good reviews and comments but I believe the 65" is about £3200, not sure it's worth £700 more than the Samsung but there might be deals available to bring that price difference down (and I'm assuming you can get the JS9000 from a reputable dealer eg JL / RS for the £2700 eg total digital sell it for). Audition both and take your pic, they're both very good options by all accounts

4. BlairH

BlairH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What about LG's 55" OLED? It seems to be around £3800.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,378
    Don't think he fancies paying that much for a portable lol

6. BlairH

BlairH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am the OP, and I'm open minded. My Kuro is only 50"; the LG would be roughly the same size, for sure, but the image quality would be more in line with my expectations, coming from a plasma, surely? I was going to nip up to John Lewis today for an audition, but getting there is problematic.

7. JCJones

JCJones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in a similar position and of course I am happy to pay £2750.00 for a UE65JS9000 especially as I have an old 42" LG to get rid of to make it even lower. Now I just need to figure out how to get JL or other qualified retailer to accept that price.

8. ThePatrician

ThePatrician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also in a similar position looking to replace my kuro lx5090 and vsx919ah amp with a ue65js9000 and Sony str1050 amp. Just need to sell my current stuff and then wait for a deal or price drop to shave a couple of hundred quid.

9. GurR

GurR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As with many others, I am contemplating changing my Pioneer Kuro. It's still a great TV but getting on for 8 years old now. 55" is my max size, so was contemplating the LG 55" OLED offering, slight concern about HDR and how that will progress in the future though. I know LG say a firmware update will sort out any issues... Not worried about sound as have good AV set up. Took me 3 months to choose last time... Soooo much more choice and technology to take into consideration now and after 8 years of excellent viewing on the Pioneer really struggling.

10. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I wouldn't get the sony 1050 it's not HDCP 2.2 compatable for future 4K blu-ray.

11. ThePatrician

ThePatrician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Simon
    looking at the ONKYO TXNR636/TXNR545 and either the Samsung UE55JS8500 or the Sony KD65S8505C can't figure out if the sony supports HDR.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015