1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£350 to spend on dvd & amp any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bargepole, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Already have Hitachi 32pd5200 plasma and going to buy mordaunt short premiere speakers (not plus). (£250)

Any suggestions for amp/receiver and dvd, to be used for freeview, dvd viewing & listening to music & poss hooking up a games consol.
    Considering Pioneer vsx c502 (£250 from richer sounds)
    and Pioneer dv575 (£100 also from richer sounds).

Any other suggestions/coments welcome.

2. trevor g

trevor g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi bargpole if any use to you i use pioneer C402 an am pleased with it the 4 scarts
    are very useful with one running to your tv and the rest to connect dvd/sat/fview ect
    hope this helps

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bargepole,

I used to have the MS Premieres (great). I used (still use) a Yamaha DSP-AX640SE amp, and I use it for DVD mainly, and occasionally games. For a budget amp it is absolutely brilliant. This RRP was orginally £400, I got mine for £300 just over a year ago - you may be able to find a new one now for about £200 now, which would be ideal. Alternatively you could go for a new model. I think you can get a new RXV650 for about £270 from RS. This will be better than my 640SE.

So, this would leave £80 for your DVD player. If you look around online, I think you'll get the matching DVD-S550 for £100, maybe less.

OK, this is £20 over your limit. I'm sure you can scrape £20 from somewhere. If not, look at lower model amps. I would definately stick to the Yamaha DVD player though. IMO it is much better than the Pio 575. Probably about on par with picture quality, but I personally think the Yamaha models are far better built. That goes for their amps too.

I think you will be very happy with the sound quality. Yamaha amps are very well matched to MS speakers. I believe Pioneer make quite bright sounding amps, and the MS speakers are also bright sounding. Therefore you would be getting quite a harsh sound, rather than a smooth warm sound from the Yamaha.

Hope this helps!

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say, I would have a good look at alternatives to Pioneer for the DVD player before deciding.

I've been put off them for good after my recent experience. Picture and sound quality were as I hoped - the biscuit tin build, extremely noisy transport and poor response on DVD-Rs weren't. I never expected my £25 Alba to be like a Mercedes in comparison! From what I'd read on this forum and elsewhere, I thought Pioneer's budget DVD player were a no-brainer...now I'm not touching them with a bargepole.

Can't advise you on specific rivals as I was just after a sub-£50 player (bought a Toshiba SD140 for £30 - it's excellent, even on a 50" plasma!)

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree. Biscuit tin build. I had a DV550 (discontinued model with mirrored front), and this was also very noisy! I would have lived with it, but then it broke! picture just froze completely. Sent it off for repair...TWICE for the same fault. Never again!

I had a Yamaha S540 and this was far superior. The newer S550 should be at least as good, probably improved. If you wanted to save mroe money, you could go for the discontinued S540. I think RS are doing this for £70 at the minute :eek: . I personally would opt for the 550 though, as it has better D/A converters so 'should' be better.

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a Yamaha AX640SE. They're well out of date now (over a year! :eek: ), so you might be able to pick one up very cheaply - I got mine for £280 not long after it came out courtesy of Senor Richer and his k-k-k-krazy prices. In fact I bet they give them away now because they've run out of mugs... :rolleyes:

Haha I recall the manager at Sevenoaks asking me about it because the receipt was in the box for a CD player I'd bought along to demo for some new speakers - they had it at £400 odd.

7. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any possible advantage of that NeuNeo is gonna be made redundant on your 32" Hitachi Plasma, surely? I personally wouldn't take the risk, especially as even the respected brand names can't seem to do the simple things right nowadays.

If you want a bargain DVD player - the Toshiba 140 I have is pretty good - I'm not convinced you'd be gaining any useful performance advantage by spending more than the £30 it costs...

That lends more to your budget for partner it up with whatever amp choose - Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo/Sony... I'm no home theatre man, but Denon, Onkyo & Sony have always made excellent budget hifi amplifiers, so maybe they're worth a look too?

Argos have the Toshiba 140 if you want to try it and refund, and Richer Sounds still do a 14-day trial of equipment if you ask nicely (though they don't advertise it), if thats any use. It's always good to try before you buy if possible - nothing to lose

9. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any possible advantage of that NeuNeo is gonna be made redundant on your 32" Hitachi Plasma, surely? I personally wouldn't take the risk, especially as even the respected brand names can't seem to do the simple things right nowadays. :confused:

The plasma has dvi input so should be able to take advantage of NeoNeo but I know what you mean re respected brands can't get things right so I don't think I'd take the chance.

As regards the tosh 140 at £30, I was really looking for something with component o/p and progressive scan minimum.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 140 does have component and prog scan :thumbsup:

i think Richer Sounds are handing out wrong info.

im out of my league here - but youd need to doublecheck if your DVI input will take the signal - it needs to be HDCP supported, and accept video signals/resolutions, not just PC ones I think... anyway, i dont think you should be faffing around with HDMI and upscaling personally.

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go that cheap DVD player-wise. I'd say the Yamaha S550 at least if you're thinking of getting a decent amp.

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh, im not the man to ask about sound...sorry, was just getting carried away cos after trying 5 (!!) different £50ish players, the Toshiba turned out to be the best by FAR and the only one without major flaws.

didnt mean to give the impression that its a luxurious machine (its not) or that I know what it sounds like (just using built-in speakers).

Mr GFS is in-tune with my ideas of build and the such, so I trust him really! :thumbsup: When I need a step-up DVD player, I'll look at the Yamahas (dont think I would have before, cos my Yamaha equipment of old had knobs falling off it - literally!) - so thanks for that info! useful for me too, cheers for that

Bargepole, have a try with the Toshiba though (its the same under the hood as the 340 apart from features) if its easy to compare...I'd like to know myself how its sound is, just for interest!

13. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all that.

I'll certainly have look at the tosh, but the appearance of this set-up is important, hence matching pioneers.

RS do the Yamaha RXV640RDS Titanium for £250, if they've got any left (last few), and I think I've sourced a matching dvd s550 (titanium).

But I really need to see them in the flesh.

I''ll get there on day. :hiya:

14. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £250 for the 640 isnt bad, but the 650 at £270 is a MUCH better option. For the extra £20 your getting a nice new model, more power, and a better spec. I also think it looks that bit nicer too.