1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£350 to spend on best piece of kit

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Sicton, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a separates kit for £350 (although I can stretch the budget more if necessary!) Basically what I'm after is a 5.1/6.1 speakers kit with AV Receiver and high quality cabling to gain the best possible sound quality at the desired price.

Has anyone got any ideas? I don't have a clue quite frankly but would really like the best sound system for my cash! I'm wanting to play music, watch TV, DVDs and play games on the system so it needs to be good for everything really.

I really appreciate any help and ideas to help me pick a system. Thanks!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thats not alot of budget mate! if you are looking for seperates why have you posted in the All-in-one Systems forum???
    If you are after an all in one for these tasks then fair enough
    What do you already own use?
    what sort of display what size room what componets do you have? Which DVD? Digital TV? Consoles or PC?

3. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, I'm sorry about posting in the All-In-One Systems section, it's just if I'm better off getting an all in one kit then I may do that.

I am a bit limitted by TV and DVD Player, kinda have the bare minimum of each and the £350 budget is down to wanting to buy a new PC next year. My current PC is 900Mhz Duron, 384 MB SD-RAM, 100 GB HDD, GeForce 3 Ti500, 17" Mitsubishi Diamondtron 730, Cambridge Sound Works DTT2200. I currently have around £600 which has got to last a while but there is the possibility of getting up to around £1000 if I sell some stuff.

Basically, I have a Goodmans :( 28" Widescreen in a room around 10 x 15 ft and I currently use an Xbox as DVD player and also have a GameCube which will need hooking up. It's all a bit minimal but the thing is, I don't have a decent sound system and would really like one.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    With a goodmans widescreen the xbox would probably suffice as a dvd player. Something like this for £200 would be a good upgrade and offers better sound than many systems out there.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1184&CategoryID=123&SubCategoryID=146

The only thing it lacks is Prologic II. You have to suffice with Prologic 1 only. Should sound a lot better than any of the £200 allin one with dvd systems out there. With the remaining £150. I'd get yourself a advanced scart pack to give you digital out from you xbox plus a scart rgb display to your goodmans. optical lead, remote control scart switchbox (quinttro) , rgb scart lead for gamecube. Plus a phono lead to go from the scart switchbox to the digitheatre. I'd also look out for a freeview box if you haven't already got one.

Once everything is setup right. You can hide all leads and not have the annoyance of switching scart leads all the time at the back of the goodmans plus enjoy great sound from the various sources.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you can wait a while the scour classifeids for bargains decnet amp £150 if you haggle some decent fronts For £100 £100 for rears centre and bits this will allow you to build the system over time. I guess you want to connect thyenPC so you can listen to MP3 etc will sound much better than any PC speakers.