1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£350 to spend on a new GFX Card

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by monkeyleader, Mar 5, 2005.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So its time I upgraded my Ti4800 - and with bonus just being paid I have a little over the norm to pay for the GFX card ... Ive got a Dell Dimension (running XP) so I have to go AGP rather than PCI-e ... I think I've narrowed it down to

ATI X800 XT
    or
    NVidia 6800 Ultra

No surprises there then ... Id appreciate anyone who has either of these cards and could comment on a good variant of the above to go for. Im big into my EQ2, Doom3 and of course the HL2 mods. I'll be running this card on a TFT running firstly at 1280x1024 but in the not too distant future pushing to 1600x1200 ...

I'd also appreciate any links to best prices - Im not interested in bundles with games etc .. just want the card ....

tia,

Nige

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i havnt got either of the above but ive used both in question. tbh there isnt alot between them what so ever. people i know have made decisions based on wether they have previously owned Ati or nvidia. i used to own ATi's but jumped to a 6800GT and im over the moon with it.

Here goes, do you have a good power quality PSU. coming from dell id say no im afraid. both cards need quality psu's especially the 6800 ultra. id say at least a 400W Quality PSU. also what CPU do you have. nvidia tends to take more data on board the GPU to take the load of the CPU. so im afriad unless your components match the GPU im afriad you wont see the best out of the card. this is my opinion any way !

Doom 3 runs better on the Nvidia cards from the benchmarks ive seen but this is marginal and HL2 is about even on both maybe ever so slightly favouring the ATI but this is to be expected. im talking marginal like 1-3 FPS so you dont even notice it. remember there isnt really a game out there to stretch these cards yet imo. i run highest settings on all the games i own/play and on my 6800GT which has slower clock/mem speeds to the ultra. so basically i dont think you go wrong with either providing your system can handle it.

if it was me and i didnt have a AMD64 bit processor etc then maybe you might want to think about this:

Gainward Ultra 2400 Goes Like Hell (6572) GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP)

its a 6800GT with the clock/mem speeds that are faster than a 6800 ultra. this could save you the cash that could be spent on a PSU, Ram etc depending on wether you need it.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    actually i think some one is selling one of those "goes like hell" cards in the classified's for about 230 quid. bargain imo

4. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi monkeyleader, I have the XFX 6800 ultra and it goes like the clappers!
    It pretty much comes out top with regards to Nvidia cards.
    I had been an Ati user for several years but recently I had to switch to Nvidia because a 3D application I use for work started having issues with Ati cards.

You will not be dissapointed with the performance of the XFX Ultra.

i paid £380 for mine but you may get it cheaper nowadays.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    he wouldnt be dissapointed with either card. i jumped ship as well and i love it. plus side is Nvidia supports shader model 3.0 and i dont think the ATi cards do. he decision is a question on his over all system

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I got the ATI card you mentioned and it was a coin toss for that or the Gforce you mentioned as well. Got it in a new pc at Christmas from Mesh systems and took the guys advice over the phone. He recomneded the ATI coupled with an AMD chip as opposed to Intel and Nvidea.

Primalilry used for games on a tft and no complaints at all for HL2 , Farcry and such and as Bauer say you wont be disappointed in which one you choose.

Just saw the ATI X850 reviewed in PC Zone at £349 i think it was.

7. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    6800 Ultra for sale in the classifieds for £210, absolute bargain! :thumbsup:

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    thats been sold now

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've been very happy with my Leadtek 6800GT. It overclocks past ultra speeds (435/1150) is relatively quiet (30db's) and runs cool. I get fps between 75 -130 @1280x1024 everything maxed with 4AA and 8AF on cs:s and I'm able to run doom3 all maxed on ultra detail too.
    I'd be tempted to go for a GT which can be picked up for around £200 and save yourself £100 or so. It's a huge beast though that takes up a pci slot but there are one socket versions of the GT available if the size is a problem. ;)
    The nvidia line of cards this time around are meant to be less cpu dependant than ati and you'll need quite a power house to run an x850 to it's limits.

Whichever way you go you'll be on to a winner as both makes are fantastic cards :D

10. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    My Dell has a P4 3Hz chip with 1gb of RAM - yer Im worried about the PSU as well but I guess Ill just need to get a better one once I choose the card. My goodness that was a good price in the classifieds - pity its gone !

As I thought not much between these two cards !

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    system is fine but id be dubious of the psu from dell. usually they maybe 400W plus but it needs to be a quality one not just quantity. look at the tagan PSU's. ive got one for my system and its ultra quiet as well :thumbsup:

12. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hawklord, I would be interested in how you are overclocking your leadtek. I have no experience in that area.
    Cheers.

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    best way is to use a reg key called coolbits. google will get you it. then use that to up clock/mem speeds up little bits at a time. keep checking temperatures and run prog's like 3dmark to check its stable and no image/pq issues. when u see issues back down abit and save. bear in mind you can kill your gfx card and some cards dont clock well at all. just pot luck on wether it comes out of the factory as a nice clockable card. imo it isnt worth doing at the moment as there isnt a game that will strain these cards really as of yet

14. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cheers Bauer. I have 2 machines, so interested in overclocking one and experimenting with 3D Mark for good scores.

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    As bauer mentioned coolbits is generally what most people use but a nice prog called winfox came bundled with my card and I use that. It has the same facilities as coolbits such as temperature monitors and overclocking facilities and is very user friendly.
    Most of the 6800 GT cards do overclock very well their stock speed is 350/1000 and I have had mine up to 435/1150 (the first figure being the gpu speed and the second the memory speed) but it is the luck of the draw but I have rarely seen a post where a card has not reached at least ultra speeds. I overclocked my card up to 400/1100 straight out of the box (which is ultra speeds btw) by using the sliders provided by the overclocking tool. Over 400/1100 you just move the slider up in smaller increaments until you hit stability or graphical issues and move the sliders back a little when the max has been reached. The 6800gt has an in built protection system that throttles back when temp or clocking has gone over it's threshold so I shouldn't worry too much as your unlikely to damage it.
    The reason I got the GT in the first place was that it was known to be a good clocker and was the best performing card for the money. At that time I paid £310 for mine and since they can now be picked up for around £220 even more of a bargain imo.
    The leadtek has a larger than most cooling system with a huge weighty copper heatsink that allows you to possibly overclock more but is also quieter than most too due to the lower fanspeeds.
    If you have any more questions ask away;)

16. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheers Hawklord thanks for that info. Its the Leadtek I have in my second machine - I cant remember getting Winfox with it though, I will have to dig out the box from the loft and have a look now. Sounds easier to use than coolbits, especially if Leadtek supplied it.

17. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes i got the winfox with my bundle as well. cant be any easier than coolbits to use, its all childs play till you see smoking from the tower :D as i founf out when i wanted to kill my old Geforce 4 i melted it :D

18. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could have got a £5 for it on ebay!! :eek:

19. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    it was worth the £5 to kill it :D

20. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Shader Model 3.0 is just a tick box to try and get more people to go Nvidia this time round. The 6800Ultra isn't anywhere near fast enough to run a game using it...try looking at Chronicles of Riddick...its a slide show.

Both cards are VERY quick, get the Ultra if u play Doom 3 alot or any other Open GL games, Get the X800XT PE if you play Half Life 2,CS source or Direct x 9 games alot. Just don't base your decision on PS3.0 cos you will be gutted.

Alternatively ATi's 'R520' is rumoured to be launched around May time....expect that to **** on this generation....

21. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Picked up a PCI_E Radeon X850 XT from Novatech for about £320 last week.
    So far I've only played Doom 3 with it, but I ran it with ultra settings @ 1024 X 768 and it runs very well.
    Rest of my system is P4 Prescot 3.0 ghz, 1024 mb 533 mhz DDR2 RAM on an MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum.

22. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590

That's the daddy of gfx cards at the moment. I'm running a Radeon x800xt pe with a athlon64 3500 @ 4000 with 2 Gb DDR 400 and it runs Doom 3 like liquid at 1280 x 1024 , ultra settings, 4x aa and 16 x af. But Half Life 2 is a better game anyway ;) which it runs better :p

Think I'm gonna upgrade to a PCI express motherboard when R520 is out.