1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£350 for an amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cheng, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I'm thinking of the following for demoing, any recommendations?

• Yamaha RX-V630
    • Denon 1802 (or 1803)
    • Marantz 4200/4300

I've heard that the Yammy only has DTS in matrixed, and not discrete? What does this mean, I'm a newbie :confused:

Thanks.

2. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true I have one...

3. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cheng

As always, and you will here that a lot on the forum, what are you most into movies or music. I personally am about 50/50 swaying towards music if really pushed.

The general concensus IMHO, and I have been doing a fair bit of research recently, is that the Yammy is a better movies machine (lots of DSP's if youwant/use them) but can still hold a reasonable tune.

Whereas the Marantz is a more musical amp but is still relatively good with movies. I went into my local RS today (Newcastle) and they were putting SR4300's out for £239:95 :D , needless to say I got one.

Different people/reviews say the Denon is OK with both but thats about all, I am sure there will be lots of people that will disagree.
    And that it is not a big enough upgrade from its predecessor the 1802.

As Big_AL007 has already stated they all come with 6.1 support, PLII, DD, DTS ES and a host of goodies.

You pays yer money and you takes yer chance. With everything though try and demo them.

I personally didn't today, I may regret that in the future but am willing to accept it especially with a 7/14 day return policy, but with only 7 units in the shop I didn't want to take the chance of missing out on a great deal :rolleyes: time will tell

Hope it helps

7ThGuest :)

4. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd prety much agree with the above, but I have the AX630 so I'll put a good word for that in, awsome with movies and not half bad with music.

I never intended to use it for music though, I run my Audiolab through the pre-outs to drive my front speakers but I must admit I was pleasently surprised by just how good the Yamaha is with music ...really not bad atall however I find it a little harsh with softer vocal pieces and seems to lack warmth (seems pretty good for big classical pieces that need to be deliverd with some oomf) but thats not really a problem as I have my trusty Audiolab... however I am finding it a bit anoying messing about with the two different volume controls everytime I want to watch a dvd though.

I listend to the Marantz SR4300 and the Denon 1803 aswell, I thought the Marantz put in a pretty good showing and is a decent allrounder and indeed so is the Denon however the Yamaha just seem a cut above the other two. In my personal opinion the dsp modes are a complete waste of space, they just sound so false to me.

The Yamaha delivered everything with more punch and scale than the other two I thought the Marantz was rather washed out in the bass and the Denon just sounded mudled with complex pieces where as the Yamaha retained control over everything.

Anyway rather than sit there reading my ramblings go and get yourself a demo of all three and see what you think.

5. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheng,

For 320 you can buy a Marantz RS5300 @ RS

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi there 7ThGuest.

I ordered a Marantz SR-4300G from the RS Colchester branch, and I am getting it for a price of £260 after price match, however, you seemed to get a superb deal for £239.95.

I wonder which store/online store did you use for price matching for the agreed price of £249.95 in the thread you have in special offers?

Silent Fly,

From which branch did u get a price quote of £320 for 5300 and is it for both black and gold?

Any help as soon as possible is much appreciated!!!

Wasabi

7. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasabi,

to be honest, on a second thought, I can't remember if it was £320 or £329.98. Apologies. :confused:

Black version. It was a the "London City" branch: 1a New Street, EC2M 4TP (Off Bishopsgate, opposite Liverpool Street Station). I think it is available in any RS branch at the same price. Give them a call, it should not be a problem to find one.

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Silent Fly,

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately I have already ordered 4300 from RS. Although the price for 5300 is getting really good I won't try the big brother, I am actually now more concerned about the recent threads that the x300 series still haven't solved the sound dropouts/delays totally.

My task is now to work on my local RS in Colchester to give me the same price as the newcastle branch, (although all the city ones are also locals as I work there :)

Wasabi

9. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasabi,

I bought the 5300 few days ago but I haven't connected it yet. I am waiting for the speakers to be delivered.

Could you tell me something more about the problems of the x300 series?

Thanks

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Silent Fly,

I have just recently discovered from the threads by Daneel (problem with my Marantz SR7300) and by Ricky27 (Marantz sr5300), so it might not be a general widespread problem, however, it is annoying enough that they have had a whole new development cycle to rectify the problems, and it is still showing up in some of the new units.

I have Missions FS1's and I wouldn't think I need the power of 5300, that is why I chose 4300 after the RS manager thought it is better as an allround than e.g. Yamaha 430.

Wasabi,

11. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wasabi

249:95 was the actual price the Newcastle store were selling it for (a bargain in itself). I rang the shop and confirmed this price and stock before going.

On arrival at the store I was told that the price was reduced to 239:95 because they had no SR4200's in (I didn't want one anyway but wasn't arguing) and this was a 'manager's special'. Afraid I was so excited :D didn't have the foresight to ask if it was for all stores.

Get them told and get the price down - ask if they have any 4200's in and if not ask why they can't do the same deal.

Hope this helps

Regards

Is layer Road still as scruffy as ever??

12. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    7ThGuest.

I got the Colchester Branch to give the same price. Thanks for the great tip as always from members of this forum, which has enabled me to purchase my equipment at the lowest prices available.

I just moved there a few months ago, so I am not too familiar with the road names. But there are huge developments in town in terms of houses, flats and commercial shops/bar/restaurants.

By to let people know, Tottenham court road in London, is mostly a rip off, almost bad as the high street.
    A couple of retailers were having a sale sign for Kenwood KRX-X9060 for £399/ old price £499, when the official recommended price is £450!!! Should report them to trading standards or something.

And all fans of Pioneer vsx-d1011s, empire is selling it for £525 including del, when they get stock, while BigAde's thread for 5% discount at unbeatable, brings 2011s down to £655.

Silent Fly thanks for the price info on 5300, but I'll stick to 4300 as the price difference is too big to justify 10w per channel.

Thanks

Wasabi.

13. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs for the heads up wasabi, thats what the forum is about :)

Having, roughly, set my 4300 up I would tend to agree that saving 100 squid is better than an OSD and 10 extra watts IMHO.

I am sure you will enjoy your new amp. It does movies very well and is excellent for music especially s-direct. Been playing some fave tunes all this afternoon and must say very impressed.

Had a little play with DPLII, CSII, NEO 6 and all the other toys:D :D

Layer Road is the big one that runs past the football ground, if thats still in the same place. Lived ther in 1988 but thats another story.

Regards

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ur right 7thGuest about all the toys.

I have a friend that has the Kenwood 9060 and it has all the Marantz toys plus THX select.

He thinks the CSII is better than DPL2, so I look forward to that toy. Do u agree on that?

15. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wasabi

Glad to see by your personal secttion you're well setup :D

It is like life itself (no boring lecture) just when you think you have everything you ever want you see what next door has :rolleyes: I am quite impressed with NEO 6 but cat really comment properly with the time I have had my kit.

Enjoy what you have for a bit, and then watch out too many damn good bargains ;)

Regards