£3000 system opinion.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fastshow, Aug 14, 2004.

1. fastshow

fastshow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi, I will shortly be having up to £3000 to spend on a new AV receiver, speakers & DVD player. I have been looking around various places & found this set-up at creative audio.

Arcam AVR300
    KEF 2005.2 (+ 2 extra pods for 7.1)
    Arcam DV89 DVD player
    35m QED Silver Anniversary single wire speaker cable (RRP £192)
    10 Mk2 QED Airloc plugs (fitted at amp end) (RRP £95)
    6m QED Qunex P-SW subwoofer lead (RRP £40)
    QED SR-75 digital lead (RRP £50)
    Cable talk Monitor 3 interconnect for TV (RRP £50)
    3 x QED Qunex 1 interconnect for DVD-A / SACD(RRP £60)
    On-Screen menu lead (RRP £10)
    Either: a QED Sqart or a 10m Component lead
    or an HDMI / DVI lead (RRP £50)
    + Free Creative Audio comprehensive 'Quick Start Guide'

This total comes in at £2858 which will allow for speaker stands if required.
    Does this seem like a good combination as I won't have room for floorstanders. Will mainly be for movies but also music and DVD-A.
    Any other recommendations? :lease: I was looking at the Mordaunt Short Genie 7.1 package but its not out yet is it? & I can't find any reviews of them either.
    Also, can anyone recommend a decent hi-fi rack? & whats the going rate for a boxed Denon 3801 receiver as I'll have 1 to sell.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

Fastshow.

2. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey there,

Well to start with, others might disagree, but the KEF eggs might be just a little too small to cope with the almighty weight of an AVR300 - indeed I think they deserve a lot better, maybe if you counteracted the AVR300 cost, took £400 or so off for a Denon 3805, it will give you a lot better range in the speaker department to play with!

As for a Hi Fi rack, try the Atacama Equinox series :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Unlight that the balance is wrong as you are matching a £1,300 amp with £800 speakers and the cables are ridiculously expensive for what you are getting.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the Airlock plugs really worth it?

Man I'd love to be able to go out and buy it all in one go! Have fun!

5. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd drop some of the cables, opt for the 3805 (cos i own one!!) and upgrade the speakers. If space is an issue try the kef 5005?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Fastshow

What size is the room your looking to fill with surround sound?

You say speaker stands may come into the budget - you either need them or you don't :) if your using satellites you can either mount them on furniture, floor stands or wall mount them.

Your choice of AV Receiver and DVD-A player are hard to fault - though as others have said you could consider a Denon AVR-3805 as a less expensive option to the Arcam AVR-300; freeing up more budget for your loudspeaker package without sacrificing too much in the Amplification and Surround processing department.

Loudspeaker wise if your keen to stick with a small Satellite/Subwoofer package I have two options for you to consider - both of which I prefer over the KHT-2005.2 (which I do also supply).

Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro + NEW TR-1 active sub - these are tried and tested satellites that I find are equally as happy with a decent HiFi as with a decent AV Receiver and the NEW sub has repositioned an entry level Gallo Nucleus Micro 5:1 system at SRP £1,050.00 (ex wall or floor mounts); you can always come back for an additional set of speakers for a full 7:1 system (though I'd advocate you get 5:1 as good as you can for now and not compromise the 5:1 to fit a 7:1 into your current budget).

See http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/micro.html (I don't think the new sub is show as yet - drop me a PM and I can forward you a .jpg showing the 'look' of the TR-1; I installed my first TR-1 on Thursday night and its a great match to the Micro's in small to medium rooms).

If you want a sat/sub package that's more 'traditional' looking then the Atlantic Technology 1200.1 system are new to us here in the UK but a big hit in the US; if budget and space allows you can also look at the 1200.2 system that uses a larger centre speaker (which does a lot of the work in a Surround Sound set up).

See http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_1200.htm

Happy system planning.

Joe

PS And I agree with others your cable budget is a touch 'esoteric' at this time - I'd suggest/supply a complete VanDamme set up at 50% (or less) of your indicated cable 'spend'.

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Some more money saving tips -

I dont think QED silver anniversary is strictly neccessary for all the rears, 35m is a bit excessive for what is quite expensive (compared to some!) speaker cable. Perhaps use the SA for the fronts and centre, and drop down to some £2.50 or £3 a metre for the rears..

The Airlock plugs on the amp end (all ten of them) are a bit over the top as well. Most people use the banana plugs simply for ease of use when changing about equipment all the time - if you were going to do this, you would use them on the speaker end more than likey, as youre AV amp will more than likely always stay in the same place (correct me if im wrong!)

By the way, this is definitely not a criticism, we are merely trying to help you save some cash and make your system sound better :)

8. fastshow

fastshow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi, thanks for the replies. The speaker cables etc were included in the Amp/speaker package price at £2100 & not budgeted seperately. Seeing that the arcam is £1300 on its own and the 2005.2's are around the £800 mark, they were in effect free. I will look into the Nucleus micros & also the Denon 3805 and KEF 5005's. The room size is 12' x 15' and the reason for opting for small/satellite speakers is that there will more than likely be some furniture obstructing floor standers.
    I have just looked on Creative Audio's site and they do the Denon 3805, the KEF 5005's and the QED speaker cables as before "thrown in". This is £1935 and also includes 2 floor stands. Is this a more viable option? Also, would I then benefit from a Denon DVD2900 or still the Arcam DV89 as they are the same price (£599)?
    Thanks again for any input.

Fastshow

9. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thats not a bad price!

As for the DVD player, try and demo them both out - obviously the Arcam sold for a lot more than that in the past, with great reviews, but its all up to personal preference!

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Have you considered using cat 5 cable as speaker cable? Very good and dirt cheap for long runs. A lot better than QED silver. (IMHO) there are some usefull links in the cables forum. I would maybe think twice about the airloc plugs as well. Good quality bannana plugs or spades would do just as good a job.
    Good luck with the system, whatever you do you'll certainly have fun!

11. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm not too familiar with the cabling stuff, but I thoroughly recommend the Arcam AVR300 as I bought one yesterday. I was completely bowled over by the sound quality, not just in surround but also in stereo. The Denon 3805 is also very good, but I opted for the Arcam because my previous integrated amp was an Arcam so I'm used to and prefer the stereo sound, and I also felt the Arcam performed better in both areas than the Denon. The price difference between the two is quite significant so it's really your choice at the end whether you think the Arcam's better performance justifies the extra money. I'll say this though, you definitely will NOT be disappointed with either of these receivers.
    As for speakers, I also liked the KEF 2005.2, but I agree with the others, they'll probably too 'small' and that'd be an injustice to your quality receiver. When I demoed the Arcam, the retailer was using KEF compacts (fronts and rears) and Q6 for centre. To me they sounded amazing for their size. I don't know how they compare to the 2005.2's but you might want to try them out if space is an issue for you. I currently use Q35 floorstanders and would prefer to get smaller speakers too, but not if it'll compromise the sound quality.

12. fastshow

fastshow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK, I'm sorted now on the amp & DVD player. I can get the Arcam AVR300 and the DV89 for £1699. That leaves me up to £1300 for speakers, sub and all speaker wires, interconnects etc.
    The KEF 5005's are £1200 and include 40m QED Silver Anniversary Cable, 10 Mk1 Airloc plugs, fitted to cable (for amp end - these speakers do not take 4mm) and a QED Qunex P-SW 6m subwoofer lead as well as a pair of stands. Are thes a good improvement over the 2005.s's?
    Is £1060 a good price for the Atlantic Technology system 1200?(hifibitz) & do they come with wall fixings or are they extra?

Thanks again for any replies

Fastshow.

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Personally I'd substitute the player for a universal player like the Denon DVD-2900 (or their new 2910/2910 models). If you highlight DVD-A as important then it seems to make sense to also future-proof it for SACD.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Fastshow

The difference between the 1200.1 and the 1200.2 is the choice of Centre channel used.

The 1200.1 uses 5 x the 1200LR-S where as the 1200.2 uses 4 x 1200LR-S and 1 x 2200C - which is the Centre channel normally used in the more upmarket 2220 system.

As the 1200 and 2200 series speakers use the same drivers its easy to voice the 2200C with the 1200LR-S and the benefits are very obvious once you get the system up and running.

We've just agreed a deal with the UK distributors of Atlantic Technology to offer a few 'incentives' to AV Forum members through the 'Power Buy' section so keep an eye out later tonight once I get around to posting the offers :)

I'll need to get back to you on the wall mounting option!

Best regards

Joe

15. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you thought about QUAD
    the quad 11L is a quality speaker
    and a centre is available