£3000 PC build thread - Dreams here!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score
Inspired by another thread, post your £3000 build PCs here.

Let's keep to a strict £3000 limit, but the build is up to you! It needs to be a complete PC including monitor, keyboard etc etc.

Inspired by another thread, post your £3000 build PCs here.

Let's keep to a strict £3000 limit, but the build is up to you! It needs to be a complete PC including monitor, keyboard etc etc.

Hmmm interesting - I'll keep the last £15 to cover the PSU obviously :D

Well here's a starter - really should keep up to date on the gear. Slightly over but I didn't hunt for bargains and overclockers had the 256gb SSD for £45 more on the desktop version over the notebook so took that as just a short stock hike from them - it's the same drive bar the mounting brackets:

Asus GeForce GTX 690 4096MB PCI-Express Graphics Card £839.99
Samsung S27A850D 27" Widescreen Ultra Thin LED Professional PLS Monitor - Matte Black £569.99
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor - Retail £443.99
Asus P9X79 DELUXE Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard £274.99
Samsung 256GB SSD 830 Desktop Series SATA 6Gb/s KIT with Norton Ghost - (MZ-7PC256D/EU) £199.99
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850W V2 High Performance '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CMPSU-850TXV2UK) £104.99
Fractal Design Define R4 Midi Tower Case - Titanium Grey£99.98
Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD204UI / ST2000DL004) £99.98
Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C9 1866MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit £99.95
Corsair Hydro H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler £85.98
Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard (920-002762) £64.98
Logitech G9x Laser Mouse (910-001153) £49.98
Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card Retail £43.99
Logitech S-220 2.1 Speaker System - OEM (980-000022) £21.98
Samsung SH-S222AL/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe ReWriter Black) - OEM £19.99

Sub Total : £2,517.30

Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
DPD Next Day Parcel
(This can be changed during checkout)

Shipping : £14.75

VAT is being charged at 20.00% VAT : £506.41
Total : £3,038.46

Last edited:
Well here's a starter - really should keep up to date on the gear. Slightly over but I didn't hunt for bargains and overclockers had the 256gb SSD for £45 more on the desktop version over the notebook so took that as just a short stock hike from them - it's the same drive bar the mounting brackets:

Asus GeForce GTX 690 4096MB PCI-Express Graphics Card £839.99
Samsung S27A850D 27" Widescreen Ultra Thin LED Professional PLS Monitor - Matte Black £569.99
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor - Retail £443.99
Asus P9X79 DELUXE Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard £274.99
Samsung 256GB SSD 830 Desktop Series SATA 6Gb/s KIT with Norton Ghost - (MZ-7PC256D/EU) £199.99
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850W V2 High Performance '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CMPSU-850TXV2UK) £104.99
Fractal Design Define R4 Midi Tower Case - Titanium Grey£99.98
Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD204UI / ST2000DL004) £99.98
Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C9 1866MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit £99.95
Corsair Hydro H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler £85.98
Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard (920-002762) £64.98
Logitech G9x Laser Mouse (910-001153) £49.98
Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card Retail £43.99
Logitech S-220 2.1 Speaker System - OEM (980-000022) £21.98
Samsung SH-S222AL/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe ReWriter Black) - OEM £19.99

Sub Total : £2,517.30

Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
DPD Next Day Parcel
(This can be changed during checkout)

Shipping : £14.75

VAT is being charged at 20.00% VAT : £506.41
Total : £3,038.46

2.1 speakers, ***

TPU reviewed it and the Corsair Link program disagreed with their measured results: Corsair AX1200i 1200 W Review | techPowerUp

Nice try though, it would be cool to see Seasonic do it properly.

I don't trust TPU in the slightest. Terrible reviews.

Having said that the review you've linked gives the Corsair 9.8 out of 10, with the only negatives being:

• Stiff price
  • Two additional PCIe connectors would be ideal

So not sure they thought there was any issue either?

Triple SLI, because... well why not! :laugh:

Also notice it includes a 'proper' keyboard (backlit mechanical) ;)

Attachments

• 3k.jpg
    3k.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 155
Triple SLI, because... well why not! :laugh:

Nice, but I would get a cheaper CPU and triple GTX680s for more gaming grunt for the price.

TPU reviewed it and the Corsair Link program disagreed with their measured results: Corsair AX1200i 1200 W Review | techPowerUp

Nice try though, it would be cool to see Seasonic do it properly.
I think the summary reads that it's not a bad PSU. Not sure "Nice try" really describes it, does it :laugh:

Finally the time has come, once more, to give you the review's conclusion. In this case, thankfully, a pretty straightforward task since the AX1200i excelled in all tests I conducted and registered, without any doubt, the most spectacular performance I ever measured in any of the numerous PSUs (over 130) I have tested so far. Corsair's new flagship PSU has tight voltage regulation, high efficiency throughout all load ranges, God-like ripple suppression and features silent operation. Moreover, it utilizes a fully modular design through the Corsair Link software you can highly customize and, at the same time, use to monitor its operation. It also comes with a seven year warranty to boast. I also shouldn't forget to mention its nice looks. What else could I possibly ask for? Perhaps a lower price, but first, I should take into account the cost of the Corsair Link development-implementation and also the cost of the high quality parts used in this unit. As I stated many times in previous reviews, good things in life unfortunately don't come cheap.

To wrap up, if you want the absolute best PSU available on the market today, then the AX1200i was made for you. I am really eager to see the competition's response to this amazing PSU, since the AX1200i clearly rocked the boat. Because of PSUs like this one, the competition's PSU engineers will be highly stressed to provide fresh and innovative designs that will be able to achieve such high performance levels.

I think it's just around the Corsair Link gadget that he means... but that's a bit of a gimmick and it's fairly accurate, they're saying the differences are down to how the link works.

No doubt that it's the best PSU ever made though.

Nice, but I would get a cheaper CPU and triple GTX680s for more gaming grunt for the price.
Cheaper cpu would mean going down to an i7 ivybridge, in a 3k machine... :nono: :laugh:

SLI 670 is pretty equal to a 690, so 3-way SLI should give enough grunt I think :D

Cheaper cpu would mean going down to an i7 ivybridge, in a 3k machine... :nono: :laugh:

SLI 670 is pretty equal to a 690, so 3-way SLI should give enough grunt I think :D

If you're talking gaming then an i7 Ivybridge plus 3 x 680s, would give you far more grunt than a SB-E plus 3 x 670s.

It's a no brainer.

Total
£4,292.03

if you build it they will come :D personally i would have a bigger screen and also a Amp with 5 speakers and a beast sub but i am skint now :(

Attachments

• beast pc.jpg
    beast pc.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 195

if your looking for a psu this is the site for indepth psu reviews Corsair AX1200i 1200W Review

problem is you may fall asleep have way though reading :laugh: nice replacement but no way would i get a new release psu would give it a few months first.

you can get that Corsair Link as well for the h## coolers £90 i think i would never use it though as am already monitoring temps

I don't trust TPU in the slightest. Terrible reviews.

Having said that the review you've linked gives the Corsair 9.8 out of 10, with the only negatives being:

• Stiff price
  • Two additional PCIe connectors would be ideal

So not sure they thought there was any issue either?

In all fairness I don't trust many - especially those who say the Killer 2100 is good. I lent my two to a couple of mates and only one has tried it so far but it was as shocking for him as I experienced with them both. Such a poor product from a hilariously bad company.

It's a good PSU, don't get me wrong, but the gimmick of the Corsair Link is shown to be almost useless. As a straight PSU it's practically perfect (albeit pricey and way more than most need - would be cool to step it down too) but with the gimmick it's just artificially more expensive.

I think the summary reads that it's not a bad PSU. Not sure "Nice try" really describes it, does it :laugh:

See above.

I think it's just around the Corsair Link gadget that he means... but that's a bit of a gimmick and it's fairly accurate, they're saying the differences are down to how the link works.

No doubt that it's the best PSU ever made though.

Fairly accurate?

What use is something if it can't do its job properly?

Once it has matured and the kinks have been worked out it will be really quite interesting, until then I'm not keen on it - hence the nice try.

Last edited:
you no that the Corsair Link has firmware updates:)

Pff, Backlit keyboards are a sure sign of a newbie, real gamers don't need to look at the keys. ;)

I do find it astonishing that key position doesn't seem to click for some people even after they've been using a keyboard on a daily basis for years, it's clearly a substantial number too given the development and popularity of backlit keyboards.

Robbed my idea
And try and keep it on thread, its only abit of fun. Shall get mine up tomorrow

Robbed my idea
And try and keep it on thread, its only abit of fun. Shall get mine up tomorrow

remember do not go tight ass mode, there is a bargains section for bang for buck :D

yea i see the edit now you must of just found out
Must have found what out?

I was merely clarifying my position.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom