£3000 budget for a new Amp

Jack the lad

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Like the title says I have a budget of £3000 for a amp/reciever. Anyone recomend one :)

I am not bothered about stereo playback. Just movies and the occasional CD. It will be fed from a very good quality DVD player (not picked yet).

I want at least 6.1 ( I know 7.1/9.1 are not true surround modes ;) ). Prog. upconversion would be great for Sky ect.

I was thinking on using at least 6 AE Evo3 as my speaker set up along with an AE centre. Is this a good idea?

Now this £3000 is a budget not a target ;) :D

Jack

Why not opt for a proper THX certified speaker system if you are only after movie results? I'd certainly think you would want to upgrade from the REL quake to something bigger....

I'd probably suggest getting something like the Pioneer AX10 (or whichever model is currently top dog) or top of the range Yamaha and spending the remaining budget on better speakers than AEs. Should be a better balance in the long run in my opinion.

Matching a good DVD player, say a Sony 999ES or Marantz DV8400, and £3k worth of amplification to an Evo 3 package is a bad idea. Unless you are thinking of upgrading your speakers in the future, then I would more evenly split the available funds.

However,

You could go for a high end integrated like Pioneers AX10 or
Yamaha Z9. These amps feature just about anything a HC nut could wish for, but I wouldn't think the quality to be anywhere near a decent pre/power combo. The quality of these amps are still very good and could still suit your needs.

On the subject of pre/power combos, I have been watching with interest the new NAD pre/power combo. The quality of the amplification is nearly a guaranteed "thumbs up", but the processor would require an audition. Go here for more info, and prices, on the processor here and on the poweramp here
I have always liked NAD amps, but the processor is a bit of an unknown quantity. Unfortuanately this combo doesn't feature up conversion. I know this is less than the £3000 you specify, but I would think that the quality of this system to be very good. Having said that, the extra money (The Pioneer AX10i is about £1k cheaper than the Yamaha and about the same as the NAD system) could be put towards a better quality speaker package and Sub?

Russell

Thanks for the replies :)

Now you've done it :p

Ok my budget is total budget is about £7000. Out of this I want:

1. 6.1/7.1 Amp

2. High end DVD player

3. Speakers and Sub

4. Projector and 8ft electric screen

So what would my budget allow me to buy? :)

I assume the THX cert. speakers are out the window :laugh:

Okay, then, let's see:

Amp = Pioneer AX10ai mentioned above @ £2100
= NAD pre/power @ £1900 (no upconversion)
= Denon A11SR @ 1300 (no up conversion)

DVD Player = Pioneer DV668 @ £500

7.1 Speakers = Jamo "6" THX package @1900
or = Mordaunt Short THX select package @ ~£1800

The above would be on my shortlist if I had that sort of money to spend on that kind of kit, and Music wasn't a priority. I would normaly say a Harman/Kardon 8500, but you aren't interested in music and the h/k doesn't have lipsynch delays. Also the Pioneer had an HDMI output for pojectors and digital audio.

I am not a projector expert, so can't reccomend anything along those lines. You will have between £2500 and £3400 to spend on your projector and screen, which should be enough?
I would say that using a projector to watch normal TV may be a bit of a hassle - don't projectors have noisy fans and need 1/2 hour or so to "heat up"? Maybe a plasma would be better? Like I said, I don't know much about projector's and could be completely wrong.

Russell

Cheers Russraff :)

I like the sound of the Yamaha Z9 @ £3300 for the amp. I think I will be able to get one for a lot less than that :) But I will check out the Pioneer AX10ai and may also look at the Denon 3805 (Not THX though).

The Mordaunt Short THX select package @ ~£1800. I would need to look into further. Am I right in saying that the sub is in the front speakers? And is it availible in a 6/7.1 configuration?

Cheers

Jack :)

hi there, this is what I would go for

Arcam DV79 (dvd player with HDMI) = £1,000
Sim2 Domino 20 (new version with HDMI) = £4,000
Dalite (or similar) 1.3 gain screen = ????
Arcam AVR300 (7.1 amp, good stereo) = £1,300
Speakers = ?????

CaM

based on the other thread.....

projector: sony HS20 £2k
screen: loads to choose from, all pretty much of a muchness £500
amp: 2nd hand lexicon DC series or meridian 565 £7-900
dvd: arcam dv79 £1000
speakers: bluesky actives £300 each = £2100 ish total
sub: plenty of scope here, svs maybe, jamo sevo sub, bigger B&W

of course there are other ways, but this is how I would do it

ad

Hi Jack
Creative audio are doing the arcam dv88+ for £499 which is a cracking deal and would leave you with more money in the pot for cables etc.
Cheers Gonzo.
PS creative audio have also got some great deals on projectors check them out.:)

Originally posted by jack daws
The Mordaunt Short THX select package @ ~£1800. I would need to look into further. Am I right in saying that the sub is in the front speakers? And is it availible in a 6/7.1 configuration?

The subs are indeed in the front towers- they are 150w side firing units. The pack is available in any config of 5/6/7 as the centres and rears are available seperately- dealers often do better value deals on the "bundles" of 7 speakers. It should be available in Maple and Black.
Ed

Thanks for all the replies :smashin:

I am now gonna :suicide:

I think a few visits to Sevenoaks and Forum Hi-Fi are in order :)

Hope they are patient :rotfl:

Buns I have PM'd you :)

My selection with circa £7000:

Pioneer 868i (£849)
Mordaunt Short THX package (£1800)
Screenplay 5700 projector (£2999)
Marantz SR9300 (£1999) (THX Ultra 2)

Takes you to £7647 altogether, If you do away with the THX Ultra 2 requirement, then you could go for a Yamaha RXV2400 for less than £1000, it does THX Select 2.

I'd say the Marantz is too focussed on music (and I have loads of experience with the SR9200). Something from Pioneer or Yamaha (with video switching of somewhat more impressive quality than the Marantz) is probably a better movies choice.

I found the Denon A1SR to be more of a music machine than an AV one, whereas the Pioneer model is pretty much AV-centric.

Gonzo's reccomendation of that Arcam DV88+ makes prety much any other DVD player choice academic. The Arcam is a wonderful machine that I just didn't have the money to buy when I saw one in action, and that wasn't the + version!

I keep on forgetting about the active option for speakers. A company called Mackie have been reccomended by several very knowledgable members on this forum. Certainly a Lexicon processor and a brace of active monitors would go down well. THX 1138 and Spligsey have had experience in this feild and can offer more salient advice than me. Do a search on this subject, too.

Russell

Originally posted by buns
based on the other thread.....

projector: sony HS20 £2k
screen: loads to choose from, all pretty much of a muchness £500
amp: 2nd hand lexicon DC series or meridian 565 £7-900
dvd: arcam dv79 £1000
speakers: bluesky actives £300 each = £2100 ish total
sub: plenty of scope here, svs maybe, jamo sevo sub, bigger B&W

of course there are other ways, but this is how I would do it

ad

I like this idea :thumbsup:

I will now try and research this way of thinking :)

If anyone has any links to any of the above I would appreciate them :)

Jack

PS Cheers Buns :smashin:

I would also consider the Yamaha Z9 and Pioneer 868 combo (which allows the use of i.Link for easy wiring and automatic switching). The Pioneer amp also does this. Both do auto equalisation setup. I'm happy with the former and a Velodyne sub (for easy equalisation setup: you may be as surprised as I was what a difference sub placement can make and where your response gaps are).

not a problem! Just make sure you get yourself a demo of the blueskies, like or loathe its a great chance to have a home demo :D

ad

Buns,

Have you heard the blueskies? If so who sells them - are they THX approved or not?

Russell

I have found the info, thanks. Still would like to know what you think of them, though.

Russell

I cant claim to have heard. I have a setup which takes an awful lot of beating so im almost certain that the blueskies wouldnt persuade a change (given im using a system costing about 4 times as much). So I havent tried to get a home demo (i think im too nice, dont like wasting other peoples time when im not going to buy!). I know some who have heard them..... smurfin (member here) as example has a full set of them and he is a really happy bunny with them! I'll mention this thread to him and maybe he will give us some views.

all the best

ad

I have heard the bluesky 6.5's. They were very,very good, clean and very enjoyable. I auditioned them running mostly 2-channel music as I think that shows a speakers true weknesses a little quicker.

To put this in to perspective, I'm currently running some Linn Keilidh floorstanders actively bi-amped with a pair of 2-channel THX Ultra Denon POA-T10 power amps, these give similar clean, punchy and did I say clean sound, plus an SVS 25-31 sub.

Bear in mind the original RRP for late Linn Keilidhs was about £900 a pair plus 2x £450 for the Denon amps (ignoring the RRP of the Linn ACTIV cards and Linn Tunebox crossover which is very silly), and these still compare closely to my memory of the £750 a pair active BlueSky THX 6.5's plus a Velodyne sub.

Active crossovers/active speakers seem to be very, very beneficial at this level. Remember a good sub though.

regards,
Rob.

I've got 3 Blue Sky 6.5's arriving tomorrow for home demo. I can't wait to see what they can do.

To arrange a home demo go Here

Mark.

Probs a stupid question but how are these things powered ie 240v main supply or ? :confused:

Jack

A mains socket for every speaker. Not many have this kind of layout, and I wouldn't want to use a four way extention for them. I have, though, so I am still considering them :thumbsup:

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom