1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 twin scart

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by HouseofMu, Nov 17, 2003.

1. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm after some suggestions for a system that can match the following criteria:

1) sub £350 - DVD all-in-one surround system.
    2) has twin scarts - to allow rgb daisy chaining (pass-throu) of sky box.
    3) Doesn't sound completly crap ;)

Its a system for my paents so it doesn't have to be the latest/greatest thing, but the twin scarts are important.

Any ideas anyone ?

n.

2. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, after much more searching I can answer my own question, and just incase anybody else might want to know the answer; There arn't any !

3. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, after much more searching I can answer my own question, and just incase anybody else might want to know the answer; There aren't any !

So, I turned to choosing a 'normal' all-in-one, looking at some of those favoured on this forum.

New question;

The old Samsung DM150 has had good comments from owners and reviews alike, but its now been deleted. It can still be found, along with other models in the HTDM range, but I confused as to which is the current range ?

The UK Samsung site (aren't all manufacturers sites useless...) lists 2 ranges; DL, DM but the mags are now reviewing the EV range?

I don't need ProgressiveScan/component or s-video but 1 rgb scart is a must, also I but don't want a weedy tinny Sat/Sub sound, so can anyone recommend any of these ?

HT-DL255
    HTDM150 £215
    HTDM550 £240
    DB120 £180
    DB300 £205
    DB740 £241
    DB750 £242

Or should I just buy the Pioneer 313 instead?

Any help, appreciated.

n

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If your considering a Samsung only consider the HTDM150 its the only Samsung to be very highly rated for video and sound. There mainly very good for video but not so good for sound. The htdm150 comes with substantial speakers. The DCS303 doesn't have RGB scart and therefore has a pretty mediocre picture with most televisions out there. You should also consider the JVC THA=35R as its a pretty good budget system.

One point about the Samsung is that it plays all dvds whether pal or ntsc in pal 50hz mode. Meaning ntsc dvds are converted to 25 frames per second instead of playing at their original 30 frames per second. This to my mind is the only real negative feature of the system. This may not be bad though if your television doesn't do ntsc well. It also lacks s-video but then if you have RGB scart output you shouldn't need that.

I've just watched Matrix Revolution on my Samsung and the sound was truly amazing. Making a mediocre film into an amazing experience.

5. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    bonzobanana,

thanks for the reply. I had actually read some of your other postings with regard to the Sammy DM150, which is what got it onto my shortlist in the first place.

One of my main reservations against it, is its age, whereas the Pioneer 313 is much newer. However, the mags review claiming 'vaseline smeared' picture is worrying. Can any owners dismiss that ?

The system is actually for my parents, they already have a seperate CD player so its really DVD performance that is the priority.
    The method of conversion for NTSC is not an issue for me.

I do plan on connecting using scart rgb and I'm uncertain if the JVC 35R can o/p rgb on its scart, its power rating also seems much less than the Pioneer 313 and Sammy DM150.

n.

6. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking at the Pioneer dcs-313 and the panasonic SC-HT500.

the only difference i can find is that the Pioneer has the pro logic II which seems a good feature.

i cant find any reviews online for the pioneer, but am interested to read the review where the "smeared with vaseline" quote comes from. Which magazine, which issue. Can anyone post the review.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The vasaline quote came for 'What Hifi' and What Hifi rate the JVC THA-35R higher than the DCS313. I'm pretty sure the JVC does have RGB out. Check out JVCs uk site for info and possibly a pdf manual for the system that will tell you everything about it. Same for Pioneer you can possibly download manuals there.

The current issue of What hifi has a roundup of home cinema systems although the DCS313 is not included. However they do highly rate a more expensive Pioneer system which is about £400-450 new, the NS-DV99

8. tin

tin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    @HouseofMu

You might expand your options if you dont absolutely require RGB scart. I have recently been persuaded that SVIDEO is enough, no PAL bleeding but also no darker picture usually seen on RGB inputs (well in my exp) If the telly to be used can take SVIDEO through a scart I would try it - I was forced to and pleasantly surprised. I've also finally switched me SVHS video to SVIDEO now I've learned the telly will take it (durrr :D)

As you seem to have found there appear to be no all-in-ones with 2x scarts anyway so the pass through is not going to happen - so its maybe an option open to you?