1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 to upgrade.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mike-M, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have just bought the Rotel ra-02, which I am happy with. But I have another £300 in the upgrade budget and it would be rude not to spend it !!
    The question is, do I get the Rotel power amp or some new speakers?
    I don't know much about power amps. Would adding one just give me more volume (got enough of that already). And what speakers would suit the amp. I have been told that BW's would be good and I have also heard some Monitor Audio's (not with the Rotel) which I was impressed with. My current speakers are Tannoy Fusion 4's.
    My source is a Marantz 6000 ODE and a Squeezebox both of which run through a Dac Magic 2.

2. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    First, good choice of amp and CD-player, I have the same CD through the near identical RA-01

It would indeed be rude not to spend it :)

I have heard that B&W and Rotel can sometimes sound a little bright but there have been mixed opinions on this.

I would suggest asking this question over at http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk where people have heard LOADS of speakers.

I use a set of Rega Ela's which I think are superb speakers, previous owners have had to spend £1000+ to better them (they were £750 new). I paid £215 but there are some on ebay at the moment for £60!!!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5729117332&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

They would certainly be worth the money and leave you more to spend on other things

Hope this helps a bit

Andrew

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank's Andrew.

I've been thinking about this and realise that as I still have the amp on audition from the shop I could take it back and upgrade to the 1062 for the same total cost. Would this be better than adding a power amp to the 02 ??
    Also rear the QUAD 12L work well with Rotel, would cost more but would go that bit higher if the results made it worthwhile.

4. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If this is one or the other, I personally would go for the Quads over the upgraded amp.

If you can have both, the more expensive amp will obviously be better, but I think you would notice more difference with better speakers (thats what I found when I upgraded)

Hope this helps a bit

Andrew

p.s. The Quads are meant to be superb speakers!!

5. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not dare put MA speakers on a Rotel. Speakers look as thugh they could do with updating. Quad or Wharfedale Pacific Evo's sound decent enough on Rotels.

6. h-man

h-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are thinking about the Quad 12L's, I can only say GO FOR IT. I have a pair of these running off CYrus 8 amp and I must say they sound absolutely stunning, and well worth the money.

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Why not? I know of lots of people who have done so to excellent effect.

Rega Ela's are great with the Rotel.

8. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ran the same rotel amp with some ma s6's and they were a very good match, imho. in fact i think the lean tight bass of the rotel really helped the sometimes over bearing bass of my S6's.

9. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use Quad 11L's with the RA-01 and am well impressed. I think the Quads match the Rotel perfectly.

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would upgrade the amp first, the Quads are good speakers and will respond well to a better amp.