1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 to spend on bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jta, Sep 23, 2003.

1. jta

jta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been asking round various shops and reading this forum to try to get some feeling for which speakers I should buy. I am planning to get my front L/R stereo speakers first, then gradually upgrade with centre and rears to go with the Marantz SR5300 amp I have bought.

The choices I have so far are
    B&W DM602 (S3) - I was recommended these on this forum, like the look of them and know they are highly regarded

Kef Q1 - Again lots of people seem to recommend them

Monitor Audio Silver S1 - Was recommended by a shop, haven't heard much about them.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of running these speakers with a Marantz amp, and also what people thought about the centre speakers in these ranges which are meant to be matched to these.

Thanks for your help,
    Jon

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Blureroom Minipods and a Cinepod??? Look quirky but designed by B&W's best and sound as good as they look...

http://www.podspeakers.com

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ruark Epligoues are very nice speakers, fantastic treble & midrange. Lacking on the lower end though, defo needs a subwoofer. Also it could do with setting them up with a AV amp/processor so you can cut out frequencies below say 50/60hz and re-route to the subwoofer.

I found sending full range audio to them makes them struggle a bit.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    1 all three speakers are brill IMHO just a bit different from each other. There should be no problem driving them from the Marantz amp.

MA Silver are getting a real buzz about them in the trade at the mo & for mainly the right reasons but also because there is a rumour that they might be named as product of the year by a magazine

The best thing to do is demo them how they will be in your room (e.g. against a wall or in open space (if possible demo your choice at home before commiting - a good dealer will agree to this)

The B&Ws in particular don't benefit from being near a wall whereas the Q1s don't appear to be affected (hence my choice).

The Q9c that goes with the Q1 is a very good speaker if you like it's looks (it isn't to everybody's taste).

As I posted yesterday in another thread, Kef are about to launch a new pair of speakers with smaller uni-q units that may make ideal surround speakers (about £200 apparently).

I'm sure you won't be disappointed by any of these speakers!

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can personally reccomend the MA silver s1, had these on trial for about 2 months and could hardly take them back! The best cabinet finish I have seen for £300, ie natural oak really is oak and not ash sprayed the right colour! One thing I must mention is that the character of the S1 changes after a good run in (50 or so hours) which is essential to really evaluate their talent.

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi jta,

I can also recommend the MA S1, great speakers, i've had them about 3-4 weeks now and they're just keeping getting better and better. Compared to my old front speakers(MA 2) the way they handle the basslines in music is just superb, punchy and tight, also a real sweet treble to them as well, bias as an owner i know!!:blush:

But what sold me on these speakers was the centre speaker of their silver range, just blew me away with it's sound. So because i liked the centre so much i ended up audtioning the front's :D

Also i'm using the Bronze rears and they are cracking as well, couldn't expand my budget for the silver rears though.

So the monitor audio's get a :smashin: from me, but like what been said before audtioning is the best way to judge, everyone's got a different taste in sound:rolleyes:

Keep us informed as of what route you take.

Giz.

7. jta

jta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone!! I have found your comments really useful although so far no-one has made my choise any easier by telling me NOT to buy any of them. I guess the answer is going to be to have a listen to them and see what I reckon. I will be booking myself in for a test of all of these speakers as soon as possible, and I will ask if I can test them in my house as this makes loads of sense (why pay the money for something that sounds great in the shop but average at home).

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I decide!!

8. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I auditioned all 3 of these speakers, they are all very good.

Went for the Q1s in the end as it sounded better on delicate acoustic music to me. i.e. wispy vocals, strings etc. (OK Mazzy Star)

It will really depend on the sound you want.

You might also want to check out Mission M51s as these are very good, and the price has dropped a lot recently.